When to Take Omegas?

Hi all,

I read Berardi’s two-part article on “Solving the Post-Nutrition Puzzle”. Once I run out of my whey protein powder, I will probably order some Surge. But for now, I’m approximating it somewhat by using 1 scoop whey protein, 3 Tbs rice syrup, and also taking some leucine supplements. The rice syrup is high-glycemic and the ratio of carbs to protein is damn near close to that of Surge.

Anyway, I’ve also read about the anabolic benefits of omega-3 fatty acids. It is my understanding that they aid in replenishing muscle glycogen. So on one hand, it seems like it would make sense to take some fish oil with my shake, as that is when my muscle glycogen is replenished most efficiently.

However, I know that fats can decrease the glycemic index of carbs and slow the absorbtion. So, perhaps it would be counterproductive to add any kind of fatty acid to my shake. What do you think? When should I take omegas?

As an aside, should I also drink the shake on cardio-only days?

Thanks!

I believe omega-3’s, or fish oil, work over a longer period of time by becoming part of the infrastructure, so to speak.

If that is so, then it isn’t necessary to time them acutely with respect to workouts. So, probably counter productive to blunt the insulin response to Surge. I like to spread them out over the day myself.

Unless your cardio depletes your carb stores it may not be needed for cardio only days.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I believe omega-3’s, or fish oil, work over a longer period of time by becoming part of the infrastructure, so to speak.

If that is so, then it isn’t necessary to time them acutely with respect to workouts. So, probably counter productive to blunt the insulin response to Surge. I like to spread them out over the day myself.

Unless your cardio depletes your carb stores it may not be needed for cardio only days.[/quote]

Exactly this isnt a supp thats going to intact you within minutes of taking it more like over days, weeks, months, years.

In general take them any time other then prior to breakfast in a fast where they’ll be burnt, and not with a high soluble fiber meal like oat where they may be trapped in the fiber and passed

Phill