T Nation

When to Take High Protein Supplement?

I don’t mean the PWO kind of supplement, but I’m going to take it right before bed or right when I wake up, What would be more beneficial?

casein before sleeping.
Casein + whey type can be used upon waking. Whey can also be used upon waking.

It depends on the kind of protein.

Typically fast digesting proteins like whey are better in the morning, or during the day when you’re trying to gain. If trying to lose fat, caesin would be appropriate during the day, and like Tj there said, before bed.

You’re going to “take” protein? You’re cool.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
I don;t mean the PWO kind of supplement, but I’m going to take it right before bed or right when I wake up, what would be more beneficial?[/quote]

Whey or casein?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
You’re going to “take” protein? You’re cool.[/quote]

The way he said it wasn’t that bad.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
I don’t mean the PWO kind of supplement, but I’m going to take it right before bed or right when I wake up, What would be more beneficial?[/quote]

What kind of protein supplement? (whey, micellar casein, etc)

What does the rest of your diet look like?

If you are using protein to aid muscle growth you want 20 to 50 grams taken in every two to three hours. So, you usually get a whole food meal in then a protein shake then whole food meal and so forth. If you are just trying to add some protein into your diet for health reasons usually two to three shakes added in thru the day will suffice.

Remember, for bodybuilders looking to maximize muscle growth you are shooting for a minimum of a gram to a gram and a half per pound of body weight per day. For a two hundred pound guy getting 200 to 300 hundred grams of protein in per day is tough hence shakes.

D