When to Stop Bulking?

if someone could post them i have some decent phone pics that i could text you.

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]DoveofWar08 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:
But imo you should cut for the first time when your squat gets over 500.
[/quote]

wtf?

Is that what YOU did?[/quote]

… Yeah …[/quote]

I remain skeptical of the 20 y.o. without pics/stats.[/quote]

Agreed. Its also a damn random number. Besides, what one squats is not always directly correlated to one’s size.[/quote]
I guess it is a random number but how many skinny bastards do you know that sqaut 500[/quote]

Depends on your definition of “skinny bastards”. There are a good many olympic lifters who can squat 500 that are in the lighter weight classes. Some are in the video below:

- YouTube!

Also, Brian Schwab squats a hell of a lot and is under 200LBs.

My point though, still holds that lifting numbers are not always directly correlated to ones size. Saying that when XYZ lifting numbers are achieved then, oh its time to cut, may not be the best policy.

[quote]ty_ty13 wrote:
i havent been to failure on many exercise since 2003 or 2004 (highschool)

front squat 205 5x5 decent work set
no flat bench
incline 255 x 3 on last set of a 5x5
military 205 x 5
havent done DL’s in a long time
seated cable pull 300x5

i dont typically use alot of the standard lifts to measure against.[/quote]

Um post pictures but those numbers (considering it appears you do low reps a lot) seem a bit low for a 235bw

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

I guess it is a random number but how many skinny bastards do you know that sqaut 500[/quote]

And how many fat bastards are out there that can’t squat 500? Do you advise them to continue bulking till they squat 500 lbs or get their weight under control?

As far as the OP’s question, I’m not sure how someone else can answer this for you. It’s ultimately about how you want to look and what your comfortable with. Some people don’t look so bad with a few extra pounds. I personally don’t think I’m one of them. I carry most of my weight in belly when I’m carrying to much fat so I had to stop my bulk at 240lbs. Alot of the other guys on this site carry the extra weight much better so they can get away with bulking to a heavier weight. {SteelyD would be an example) If my body stored more fat on my arms, upper back or legs I probably would’ve kept going to 260. I personally set my limit to around 42 inches tape measure around the waist (not pants size).

Edit: And by “fat bastards” I mean obese guys that are beginner/novice level and aren’t holding too much muscle.

this is a couple hours after a good greek lunch… mmmm, mmmm!
[photo]29247[/photo]
[photo]29246[/photo]

fire away!

i realize these arent the best but it gives you an outline/idea of my figure/stomache

Looks like a standard RMP physique. Yea there’s no reason to worry about cutting. You arent big. Bulk more.

believe me i know i’m not big by any means… i just didnt want to fool my self into thinking i wasnt too soft… nothing like seeing the over weight fat guy at the gym in a tank top and knee socks making lots of noise on the bench press with 250lb on the bar.

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:
[/quote]

wtf?

… Yeah …[/quote]

Agreed. Its also a damn random number. Besides, what one squats is not always directly correlated to one’s size.[/quote]
The only proper response here would be to post a picture of your physique, and a video of you squatting 500. Otherwise, your credibility remains at 0.

I dont see anything wrong there.I’d say you should keep going with your bulk.

the wife is having a hard time adjusting to me being a little soft as she’s used to me hovering around 200 most of the time we’ve been together. up until this year my body has never made drastic changes and she doesnt like the softness… lol… i guess i’ll keep telling her to shut up while i keep eating food off her plate.

[quote]ty_ty13 wrote:
believe me i know i’m not big by any means… i just didnt want to fool my self into thinking i wasnt too soft… nothing like seeing the over weight fat guy at the gym in a tank top and knee socks making lots of noise on the bench press with 250lb on the bar.[/quote]

but you’re barely even “thick.” Trust me, dont do what i did for so long. I always didnt want to get fat and restricted myself because of it. I thought i was fat for a good long time, then one day i got my bf tested. I was sitting at 14%, and at 215lbs. Now, thats not fat by any means. I was fooling myself. After i came to this realization, i put my nose to the grind stone. That was like a year ago. Im 260 now, probably sitting around 18, but thats a Hell of a lot of progress in that time, pure muscle-wise. Fat takes weeks to months to lose a substantial amount, Muscle takes months to years to gain a substantial amount. Think about that.

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:
[/quote]

wtf?

… Yeah …[/quote]

Depends on your definition of “skinny bastards”. There are a good many olympic lifters who can squat 500 that are in the lighter weight classes. Some are in the video below:

- YouTube!

Also, Brian Schwab squats a hell of a lot and is under 200LBs.

My point though, still holds that lifting numbers are not always directly correlated to ones size. Saying that when XYZ lifting numbers are achieved then, oh its time to cut, may not be the best policy.[/quote]

I said over 500 lbs not exactly at 500

[quote]ty_ty13 wrote:
this is a couple hours after a good greek lunch… mmmm, mmmm!
[photo]29247[/photo]
[photo]29246[/photo]

fire away![/quote]
How long have you been lifting?

By the looks of it, if you had a shirt on, I wouldn’t be able to tell that you pushed iron without having to ask you directly…and that’s a bad sign.

Instead of worrying about cutting or bulking even more, I’d probably stay at the same weight until I actually looked like I worked out.

However, you can continue bulking if you so desire just to gain the mass that will eventually be needed later on down the line.

[quote]get_ate wrote:

By the looks of it, if you had a shirt on, I wouldn’t be able to tell that you pushed iron without having to ask you directly…and that’s a bad sign.

Instead of worrying about cutting or bulking even more, I’d probably stay at the same weight until I actually looked like I worked out.

However, you can continue bulking if you so desire just to gain the mass that will eventually be needed later on down the line.[/quote]

how would i go about staying the same weight and look like i lifted (with my shirt on) without cutting or bulking?

my opinion is to keep putting on mass as that is the only way to get more muscle at a reasonable pace and to make me look like i lift… thats my experience any ways…

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

And how many fat bastards are out there that can’t squat 500? Do you advise them to continue bulking till they squat 500 lbs or get their weight under control?

As far as the OP’s question, I’m not sure how someone else can answer this for you. It’s ultimately about how you want to look and what your comfortable with. Some people don’t look so bad with a few extra pounds. I personally don’t think I’m one of them. I carry most of my weight in belly when I’m carrying to much fat so I had to stop my bulk at 240lbs. Alot of the other guys on this site carry the extra weight much better so they can get away with bulking to a heavier weight. {SteelyD would be an example) If my body stored more fat on my arms, upper back or legs I probably would’ve kept going to 260. I personally set my limit to around 42 inches tape measure around the waist (not pants size).

Edit: And by “fat bastards” I mean obese guys that are beginner/novice level and aren’t holding too much muscle.[/quote]

This is a really good post I think because its true for a lot of people. And to the OP If it was me (just my opinion) Id diet a bit but nothing drastic maybe just a few weeks. That`s just me though and what id be able to tolerate a lot will disagree and say your fine.

[quote]ty_ty13 wrote:

[quote]get_ate wrote:

However, you can continue bulking if you so desire just to gain the mass that will eventually be needed later on down the line.[/quote]

how would i go about staying the same weight and look like i lifted (with my shirt on) without cutting or bulking?

my opinion is to keep putting on mass as that is the only way to get more muscle at a reasonable pace and to make me look like i lift… thats my experience any ways…[/quote]

Dude, be careful whose advice you take. You have to have exceptional genetics to hold the same body weight yet make VISUAL progress even in a year’s time. It is what people do when they are already big and just want to work on body composition SLIGHTLY. It is NOT for people in your stage of development.

You need more size. Anyone telling you to diet right now…ask them for pics of their HUGE muscles…and then grow old waiting on them.

LOL, I’m sloppier than you, so don’t feel so bad. You are doing fine.

I would keep gaining if I were you. We have a similar problem of not looking our weight.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

You need more size. Anyone telling you to diet right now…ask them for pics of their HUGE muscles…and then grow old waiting on them.[/quote]

This x9000 ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Rainclouds wrote:

Edit: And by “fat bastards” I mean obese guys that are beginner/novice level and aren’t holding too much muscle.[/quote]

Sam is your waistline around 42in in your profile pic? You definitely don’t look fat there but 42in sounds huge to me. I have a slightly naturally smaller waistline than most it seems (structurally, not because of low body fat which I never really have) but I get “uncomfortable” around 35in., I just think of a fat guy when I hear 42in waist (again, I wouldn’t say any of your profile pics look fat).