T Nation

When to Start Lifting in Gear???

Hey all,

I got another gear question, I think the post title kinda says it all. quick Background can be read in another of my recent post (which was very helpful! thanks to those who posted there!)
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1596536&pageNo=0#1597541

Soooooo… I was just pondering when is a good time to start competing in gear? I realize it is most likely an inevitability, and I figre I should do it right.

For more reference my current lifts are Squat 340 (gym lift), Bench 240 (competition), Deadlift 430(competition). As in my other post I’ll be squatting with wraps for the first time soon (pay day friday!) IN Competition on my bench I use metal all black wrist wraps; deadlift in competition only a bench singlet chalk and chucks.

My thinking, and obviously correct me if I’m wrong, thats why i’m posting, is that i should hit raw lifts of around 2x body weigth squat (198class-light 220 class, so 400ish); 1.5x bench; and 2.25-2.5x body weight deadlift.

Thanks in advance for helping out!

You should start lifting in gear when you want to. There is no magic number (although I’m sure plenty will disagree), if you want to use a shirt - use it.

Hey James I think I am going to join you guy at the meet in august. This will be my first full meet too. I am pretty excited about that because the first time that Jarad told me about it he said it was just a Push/Pull.

I have been thinking about gear lately too. If anything, I am considering a pair of briefs. Since I pull Sumo and squat pretty wide, I could use the hip support.

I started using wrist wraps for bench. I have a lot more confidence with the wraps on. I don’t feel ready for a shirt yet because I am not quite comfortable with my bench setup/form yet.

Let me know how those knee wraps work out for you.

I’m a 90kg (198lb) lifter and got into gear when I squatted 190, benched 115 and pulled 210 (all raw). So like 2.1/1.27/2.4

Just get into it whenever you’re ready. Ther’s no special time like!

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
I don’t feel ready for a shirt yet because I am not quite comfortable with my bench setup/form yet. [/quote]

9 times out of 10 you will have to adjust your form in a shirt. There is no bubble to hit when you’re raw.

Food for thought.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Hey James I think I am going to join you guy at the meet in august. This will be my first full meet too. I am pretty excited about that because the first time that Jarad told me about it he said it was just a Push/Pull.

I have been thinking about gear lately too. If anything, I am considering a pair of briefs. Since I pull Sumo and squat pretty wide, I could use the hip support.

I started using wrist wraps for bench. I have a lot more confidence with the wraps on. I don’t feel ready for a shirt yet because I am not quite comfortable with my bench setup/form yet.

Let me know how those knee wraps work out for you. [/quote]

Have you registered yet? you can do so online. Lemme know if you need the link. Also, regarding briefs, they are not legal in USAPL, single ply full suits only. At least this is how it was last I knew. Double check, the rule book is online on their site.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
Pemdas wrote:
I don’t feel ready for a shirt yet because I am not quite comfortable with my bench setup/form yet.

9 times out of 10 you will have to adjust your form in a shirt. There is no bubble to hit when you’re raw.

Food for thought.

[/quote]

Interesting. What is a bubble exactly and how does it affect your form?

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
Pemdas wrote:

Let me know how those knee wraps work out for you.

Have you registered yet? you can do so online. Lemme know if you need the link. Also, regarding briefs, they are not legal in USAPL, single ply full suits only. At least this is how it was last I knew. Double check, the rule book is online on their site.
[/quote]

Thanks for heads-up, but I am planning on going raw for this meet anyway.

Jarad said he would email me the link, but I don’t have it yet. So, sure give me the link.

Thanks man.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
mattwray wrote:
Pemdas wrote:
I don’t feel ready for a shirt yet because I am not quite comfortable with my bench setup/form yet.

Food for thought.

Interesting. What is a bubble exactly and how does it affect your form?
[/quote]

If you don’t hit the bubble you don’t get the lift. If you miss high you’ll porbably lose the bar towards your face, too low and you lose it forwards.

The bubble is where the shirt gives the most support (but it’s also the hardest part to touch).

Typically hitting the bubble requires you to touch lower than you would raw and also tuck your elbows more.

Sean,

Regarding briefs-

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/IPF_rulebook_2007.doc

Regarding registering for the meet-

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1436917

Others,

Thanks for your advice thus far! It’s a big help!

sean,

“Briefs
A standard commercial ?athletic supporter? or standard commercial briefs (not boxer shorts) of any mixture of cotton, nylon or polyester shall be worn under the lifting suit.
Women may also wear a commercial or sports bra.
Swimming trunks or any garment consisting of rubberized or similar stretch material except in the waistband, shall not be worn under the lifting costume.
Any supportive undergarment is not legal for use in IPF competition.”

When should you start using gear? Never! Okay, don’t get worked up…just kidding. Raw isn’t for everyone. Start using gear whenever you want just make sure you have a lot of time in it long before a meet. You don’t want any surprises at the meet.

fuck bench shirts. don’t ever wear one. pile on as thick of a squat suit + brief that you can get. deadlift suits are also really cool. people in the USAPL use knee wraps too much. they are overrated. belts rock too.

Just kidding though. Get it whenever you want to. The more complicated issue is when to use gear in training.