When to Start Fighting?

Hi all… been about a year since I posted, I mainly lurk a lot.

I’ve been training in BJJ, MT, Boxing, TKY and Greco for a year now. Formal special forces troop who put on too much weight after separating from the military. I’ve cut it down, and I’m in what I would call the best shape of my life…

Anyway, I’m comfortable with my stand up and ground game, and regularly dominate against the people I see regularly in the gym.

I live in Rapid City, SD and we have a monthly competition called “Ring Wars” at the Rapid City Civic Center here. My coach and trainer think I should try it, and the promoter is anxious to get me into the ring for ring wars…

I’m just not sure if I’m 100% ready to mix it up at a competition level with people I’ve never seen before.

So, my question: When did you know you were ready to fight?

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
Hi all… been about a year since I posted, I mainly lurk a lot.

I’ve been training in BJJ, MT, Boxing, TKY and Greco for a year now. Formal special forces troop who put on too much weight after separating from the military. I’ve cut it down, and I’m in what I would call the best shape of my life…

Anyway, I’m comfortable with my stand up and ground game, and regularly dominate against the people I see regularly in the gym.

I live in Rapid City, SD and we have a monthly competition called “Ring Wars” at the Rapid City Civic Center here. My coach and trainer think I should try it, and the promoter is anxious to get me into the ring for ring wars…

I’m just not sure if I’m 100% ready to mix it up at a competition level with people I’ve never seen before.

So, my question: When did you know you were ready to fight?[/quote]

Well, what specifically is it that you are apprehensive about?

I’d say, figure out what you are most comfortable/confident with (be it striking, grappling, just pure wrestling, etc…) and try a competition in that first. Just to get your feet wet and get used to the mental aspects of competing.

If that’s not a possibility, and you really want to give it a shot, then go ahead and give it a shot. Just about everyone gets butterflies/second thoughts/nervousness before their first competition. The only way you can gain experience with competing is by…well competing.

As far as knowing when you’re ready, if you trust your instructor (and they have prepared others to compete who have done well), they say that you are ready, and you do well during training, then you are probably physically ready. Hopefully your instructor can help you also prepare mentally as that’s equally as important.

Two points.

1. Listen to your coach. He’s your coach for a reason.

2. You sound afraid. That’s perfectly natural. Just don’t let the fear control you. Insert Rocky V-Frakie Fear speech.

Thanks for the advice.

My coach has had some success with fighters. One of our fighters is the CFFC Bantam Weight Champion.

I’m not sure what I’m apprehensive about… I just feel anxiety/fear toward the whole thing. I guess the only way to get over it is to try a fight.

I want to do some more reading about the promoter… Matt Wolfe… and his track record with matching people up correctly. I don’t want to end up being fodder for some big up and comer who needs to pad their W column.

The fear of something is usualy worse than the actual thing its self. The same can be said about fighting. If your coach is telling you to fight then sounds like your ready. Your coach will know about the promoter so ask him or other fighters you know that fought for the show previously. Its only scarry until you hear the bell and touch gloves and then adrenaline kicks in.

The worst that is going to happen is that you lose, and gain invaluable experience. Are you scared of what you think the competition level will be? If you were told you would be guaranteed to draw some scrub would you sign up?

You can’t go into a fight scared though. I’m sure you know that, but if you go in there with any intention other than dominating you’re handicapping yourself.

[quote]HitEmHard wrote:
The fear of something is usualy worse than the actual thing its self. The same can be said about fighting. If your coach is telling you to fight then sounds like your ready. Your coach will know about the promoter so ask him or other fighters you know that fought for the show previously. Its only scarry until you hear the bell and touch gloves and then adrenaline kicks in.[/quote]

Hahah. Then it’s not so much scary as… painful…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
HitEmHard wrote:
The fear of something is usualy worse than the actual thing its self. The same can be said about fighting. If your coach is telling you to fight then sounds like your ready. Your coach will know about the promoter so ask him or other fighters you know that fought for the show previously. Its only scarry until you hear the bell and touch gloves and then adrenaline kicks in.

Hahah. Then it’s not so much scary as… painful…[/quote]

yeah aint that the truth haha…unless your getting a serious beating the pains nothing much until after and at that time the alcohol helps

I’ve never fought in a competition and the last real fight I was in was back in middle school so I won’t be offended if you don’t give a shit about my advice. Personally, I’d pick out the strongest striker in my gym and have him just fucking dominate me for 10 minutes straight. Maybe not have him work you 100% but close to it. Then I’d have the best ground guy just dominate me on the ground for 10 minutes non-stop. If I can handle that punishment without giving up then I’d take the fight.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
I’ve never fought in a competition and the last real fight I was in was back in middle school so I won’t be offended if you don’t give a shit about my advice. Personally, I’d pick out the strongest striker in my gym and have him just fucking dominate me for 10 minutes straight. Maybe not have him work you 100% but close to it. Then I’d have the best ground guy just dominate me on the ground for 10 minutes non-stop. If I can handle that punishment without giving up then I’d take the fight.[/quote]

LOL. Nothing like…crushing your confidence right before your fight.

disclaimer: i’m kind of projecting here, but i figure it might help you and anyone else reading.

This is entirely based on your psychology and what you need to do to prepare yourself.

You say you’re former SpecOps, did you see any action? Have you been in very high stress situations before? Most people haven’t so the jitters are very new to them. If you’re familiar with it then you know what to expect and how to prepare.

The thing is there is always a moment where you DON"T WANT TO BE THERE… Where you wonder “what the fuck am I doing!”, but that is the point that decides whether you’re a man or a bitch and it’s hard to replicate this in the gym.

If you bust your nose the sparring stops you call a “chill-dog” rule, go clean up, and you’re fine. But in a fight, you’re going to to get hit pretty fucking hard and you NEED to know if you can just mentally carry yourself through that.

Which is why i like GhorigTheBeefy’s idea (it has merit) except I would just go full MMA rules but maybe with some headgear or something.

Prepare yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt and you’ll have the jitters before your fight but you’ll have the confidence to know that there is NOTHING more you could do to be anymore prepared.

Use your fear, let it motivate you, let it sharpen your instincts, let it pass through you… but do not let it paralyze you. Fear is the Mind Killer (if you know that quote we can be best friends lol).

Honestly the physical shit is easy as fuck. I never understood why people make that big deal. You wake up, you run, you do your sprints, you lift, you hit the pads blah blah. All you really have to do is show up. Your mental strength is where the true battleground is.

If you have any physical talents whatsoever its easy to get this realm of existence in your favor.

If you ever wrestled though you know that through hard training you can forge the mindset to push and persevere through pain, agony, and that “oh shit” feeling.

So train yourself hard… die a little everytime you train (as Fedor put it)… don’t be stupid and injure yourself but unless you can set up some kind of smoker fight for yourself you need to face that “little death”.

The little death is that moment where you want to quit, where you don’t want to do one more rep, where one more sprint down the track is going to break you, that time where you’re jumping rope and you’re tired so you break for a second. No. No.

Never pause, never quit. Go HARDER. Everytime you train you need to a find a point where you can look into that abyss. The abysmal void that appears as if it will consume you. Find that place where you give up. But don’t give into it, and push through.

Eventually it will be farther and farther, and you will have approached it so many times that it will be familiar company and no longer scary. Rather you spit in it’s face and say…“I RULE YOU!” trample over it and continue on your path.

The greek’s called this spirit Dynamis, the thai’s call it Kanong Seuk (i believe). The closest thing we have to a translation in english is “The Will To Fight”.

THIS is what makes you a warrior. A fighter. And not just an athlete. The ability to walk through the fire. I know plenty of people that can “fight” they’re fucking jedi in the gym. They can learn any technique and spar great. But you put the fire on, turn up the heat and watch them melt.

A fighter is the one who simply burns away his impurities and gets harder. You can see it in certain beginners when you really lay a hard hit on them, the one that gets almost angry and toughens his resolve has ‘it’.

Unfortunately, it’s not something you can really teach. But imo it’s not an “either you have it or you don’t” type thing. We all just need to find our own personal/individual reason why you put yourself in combat situations. Search your soul. I don’t mean the “to test myself” shit. Dig deeper, everyone feels the “to test myself” shit.

Dan Gable said that before every match when he went 100-0 he pretended that he was facing the guy that murdered his sister in his family’s home.

My coach said that because he lost his mother at a young age he was always scared of death, this is his way of facing it and overcoming someone with (near) murderous intentions.

Fedor said the he remembers being poor (and we’re talking russian poor here thats a whole 'nother level) with nothing to eat and he invokes the thought that his opponent is trying to put him back into that previous state of being.

Hell this is why I’m a big Nick Diaz fan… tough life, lost his first love (passed away). And you see it come out when he fights. He’ll take a beating like he did from gomi but have the tenacity to sub him after getting his face broken (literally).

This is why fighters from “tough backgrounds” seem to have an edge. It’s a mental edge forged by difficulty. And overcoming difficulty is the ONLY way to forge it and give you something to latch onto.

Search your soul and find that ‘thing’, that reason to fight and NO ONE can stop you. Imo THIS is the secret (that’s not really secret) that separates the ‘competitor’ from the Legend.

anyway…

some quotes to motivate you that reflect the principle(s) we’re discussing:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." 

"Each warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature on the important act he touches. This isn’t the voice of ego, but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute.

In every contest, there comes a moment that seperates the winning from losing. The true warrior understands & seizes that moment by giving an effort so intense & so intutitive that it could only be called one from the heart."

“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.” - Muhammad Ali

“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses�??behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

“The coward and the hero, they feel the same, it is what they do that makes them different. The hero, he feels just as scared as the coward; it is just that the coward, he runs, while the hero, he feels the same, but has the courage and discipline to do what has to be done.”

oh and everyone’s favorite:

“NO FEAR. NO DISTRACTIONS. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.”

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
disclaimer: i’m kind of projecting here, but i figure it might help you and anyone else reading.

This is entirely based on your psychology and what you need to do to prepare yourself.

You say you’re former SpecOps, did you see any action? Have you been in very high stress situations before? Most people haven’t so the jitters are very new to them. If you’re familiar with it then you know what to expect and how to prepare.

The thing is there is always a moment where you DON"T WANT TO BE THERE… Where you wonder “what the fuck am I doing!”, but that is the point that decides whether you’re a man or a bitch and it’s hard to replicate this in the gym.

If you bust your nose the sparring stops you call a “chill-dog” rule, go clean up, and you’re fine. But in a fight, you’re going to to get hit pretty fucking hard and you NEED to know if you can just mentally carry yourself through that.

Which is why i like GhorigTheBeefy’s idea (it has merit) except I would just go full MMA rules but maybe with some headgear or something.

Prepare yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt and you’ll have the jitters before your fight but you’ll have the confidence to know that there is NOTHING more you could do to be anymore prepared.

Use your fear, let it motivate you, let it sharpen your instincts, let it pass through you… but do not let it paralyze you. Fear is the Mind Killer (if you know that quote we can be best friends lol).

Honestly the physical shit is easy as fuck. I never understood why people make that big deal. You wake up, you run, you do your sprints, you lift, you hit the pads blah blah. All you really have to do is show up. Your mental strength is where the true battleground is.

If you have any physical talents whatsoever its easy to get this realm of existence in your favor.

If you ever wrestled though you know that through hard training you can forge the mindset to push and persevere through pain, agony, and that “oh shit” feeling.

So train yourself hard… die a little everytime you train (as Fedor put it)… don’t be stupid and injure yourself but unless you can set up some kind of smoker fight for yourself you need to face that “little death”.

The little death is that moment where you want to quit, where you don’t want to do one more rep, where one more sprint down the track is going to break you, that time where you’re jumping rope and you’re tired so you break for a second. No. No.

Never pause, never quit. Go HARDER. Everytime you train you need to a find a point where you can look into that abyss. The abysmal void that appears as if it will consume you. Find that place where you give up. But don’t give into it, and push through.

Eventually it will be farther and farther, and you will have approached it so many times that it will be familiar company and no longer scary. Rather you spit in it’s face and say…“I RULE YOU!” trample over it and continue on your path.

The greek’s called this spirit Dynamis, the thai’s call it Kanong Seuk (i believe). The closest thing we have to a translation in english is “The Will To Fight”.

THIS is what makes you a warrior. A fighter. And not just an athlete. The ability to walk through the fire. I know plenty of people that can “fight” they’re fucking jedi in the gym. They can learn any technique and spar great. But you put the fire on, turn up the heat and watch them melt.

A fighter is the one who simply burns away his impurities and gets harder. You can see it in certain beginners when you really lay a hard hit on them, the one that gets almost angry and toughens his resolve has ‘it’.

Unfortunately, it’s not something you can really teach. But imo it’s not an “either you have it or you don’t” type thing. We all just need to find our own personal/individual reason why you put yourself in combat situations. Search your soul. I don’t mean the “to test myself” shit. Dig deeper, everyone feels the “to test myself” shit.

Dan Gable said that before every match when he went 100-0 he pretended that he was facing the guy that murdered his sister in his family’s home.

My coach said that because he lost his mother at a young age he was always scared of death, this is his way of facing it and overcoming someone with (near) murderous intentions.

Fedor said the he remembers being poor (and we’re talking russian poor here thats a whole 'nother level) with nothing to eat and he invokes the thought that his opponent is trying to put him back into that previous state of being.

Hell this is why I’m a big Nick Diaz fan… tough life, lost his first love (passed away). And you see it come out when he fights. He’ll take a beating like he did from gomi but have the tenacity to sub him after getting his face broken (literally).

This is why fighters from “tough backgrounds” seem to have an edge. It’s a mental edge forged by difficulty. And overcoming difficulty is the ONLY way to forge it and give you something to latch onto.

Search your soul and find that ‘thing’, that reason to fight and NO ONE can stop you. Imo THIS is the secret (that’s not really secret) that separates the ‘competitor’ from the Legend.

anyway…

some quotes to motivate you that reflect the principle(s) we’re discussing:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." 

"Each warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature on the important act he touches. This isn’t the voice of ego, but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute.

In every contest, there comes a moment that seperates the winning from losing. The true warrior understands & seizes that moment by giving an effort so intense & so intutitive that it could only be called one from the heart."

“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.” - Muhammad Ali

“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses�??behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

“The coward and the hero, they feel the same, it is what they do that makes them different. The hero, he feels just as scared as the coward; it is just that the coward, he runs, while the hero, he feels the same, but has the courage and discipline to do what has to be done.”
[/quote]

This helped a lot, and I thank you.

No, I wouldn’t take a guaranteed draw at a scrub. This will be my first competition fight… so I have mutant butterflies tearing at my insides… I guess it’s to be expected.

Yes, I’ve seen combat, but there was an adrenaline high there… and everything we do in JTF is second nature because we’ve trained SO much for it… This shouldn’t really be any different.

I’ve accepted the fight for the month of October and have started training. I’ll let you know how it turns out and I thank you all for your motivational words.

My coach is focusing on conditioning. He says I can take just about any beating, but wants me to be able to be going 100% when the other guy is sucking wind… apparently most injuries come from poor conditioning.

I also started HEAVY body conditioning this weekend… Painful. I’ve a new found respect for what people do in the weeks leading up to fight night.

Thank you all again for your advice and motivation.

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
I also started HEAVY body conditioning this weekend… Painful. I’ve a new found respect for what people do in the weeks leading up to fight night.

[/quote]

Most impressive thing in MMA right now would be Anderson Silva and Clay Guida’s cardio. That guy is a fucking racing machine. If I ever did MMA I’d strive to match his cardio and Silva’s technical striking. I’m not sure how you’d even go about training for it…sprint 100% with a 300lb bag on your back for 2 hours?

If it helps, the one thing I’ve noticed that it hurts (and frightens) one hell of a lot more if you get knocked down outside the ring and someone+mates starts putting the boots in than anything that happens in the ring. The fact that it is not, in fact, going to kill you goes a hell of a long way. Just what I’ve noticed.

i am a muay thai practicioner since january and yesterday my coach told me i should fight in Nov. i am 26 and when i started training out-of-shape was an understatement.

i trained hard und listened to my teacher but i was very surprised when he told me i should fight because i dont feel very comfortable during sparring now. Sometimes i really feel afraid when i spar with the guys in my gym

But my coach said I AM technically READY and i have 9 weeks to sharpen my sparring skills and do the conditioning work.

I just believe in what my teacher said. He has the experience and he knows when a fighter is ready. Just the fact that he consideres me being ready makes me stronger.

Today my best friend has his birthday and will go out with him and party as hell. And tomorrow i will start training like a monster, like the sean-sherk-cardio-machine.

I will fight.
I will win.
I just feel sorry for the guy who has his first fight against me.

And what i have read from eitelmj so far i know he will do the same.

Hope my english isnt to bad