T Nation

When to Start Dieting?

So, I finally decide to pull the trigger and enter my first show. The show is 23-24th of April.
My question is when to start dieting for it? I know that it depends on a lot of things(bodyfat, body weight, etc) but still I can use some advice. I am thinking to start ot about 12-15 weeks out.

I would really appreciate your advices.
Thanks.

It totally depends on your current condition. Either way end of April is obviously a long way away.

How would you describe your current condition strength height age weight etc etc and you’ll get a better answer I’m sure either. Pics would help.

Then why not post some pics of yourself or at least list your stats.

the sooner the better in my mind (unless you are very lean…10 percent bf or lower) I started dieting for my show at 18 weeks out…and now i wish i had started 20 weeks out. Youre never as lean as you think you are.

without knowing what you look like, 20 weeks is probably the safe answer

You will always be better off starting early and being ahead of the game, even if accidentally. No one ever says “boy, I wish I started later” -lol.

In terms of what you THINK you’ll weigh onstage, subtract at least 10-15 lbs if you aim to be in true contest condition. An average rate of progress will be about 1.5 lb/week, but if you do things right, it will decrease the closer you get to the show.

S

Is there any way to estimate what you will weigh when you are stage ready?

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
Is there any way to estimate what you will weigh when you are stage ready?[/quote]

A decent set of pics and stats might allow for the more experienced folks to take a GUESS, but I’d say that the majority of first time competitors are shocked at how much they end up weighing at their contests.

S

yes I have heard that, it will be interesting I am sure!
My guess is that I am about 22% BF at 130 and I will probably end up around 110-115ish to be contest ready which makes me think I will be way to small?
we will see when the time comes to make that decision!

OP, you should probably have started dieting last week… you’re behind the power curve.

lol…

Seriously though, without listing your stats or posting some pictures there is no real way to tell.

Look at ZRAW’s thread. he’s been dieting for his show for like 2 years now lololol

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
My guess is that I am about 22% BF at 130 and I will probably end up around 110-115ish to be contest ready which makes me think I will be way to small?
we will see when the time comes to make that decision! [/quote]

110-115 isn’t necessarily going to be “way too small”. It might be for some people, but not for others…Which division were you thinking of?

Not sure if this helps at all, but I’m about 5’3 and started at 145, bf in the mid-twenties, and ended up around 118 during peak week. No idea what my bf was. I think it read 12% a few weeks out…I felt tiny, but didn’t look out of place on stage in WPD and was definitely carrying more muscle than the girl that took overall in figure.

Sorry folks, you are all right.
It’s my senior year in high school, so Im 18 years old. Have been training for almost three years now. Went up from 115 to 183 lbs and Im 170cm or 5’5.I will compete in either 154 class or 165. I’ll be atleast 10 pounds heavier till the end of the year. I dont measure myself, so I dont know what my measurments are like but will upload pictures tomorrow.
Nevertherless I was thinking about starting at the beggining of January, thats … 18 weeks out.
I’ll do my best to post pics tomorrow.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

110-115 isn’t necessarily going to be “way too small”. It might be for some people, but not for others…Which division were you thinking of?

Not sure if this helps at all, but I’m about 5’3 and started at 145, bf in the mid-twenties, and ended up around 118 during peak week. No idea what my bf was. I think it read 12% a few weeks out…I felt tiny, but didn’t look out of place on stage in WPD and was definitely carrying more muscle than the girl that took overall in figure.[/quote]

Thanks for replying, your pic looks great!
I want to compete in figure. I was told that right now I would be better off in bikini but I dont think I would feel comfortable in the bikini division, I would rather wait and build more muscle. I am going to make the decision the end of Dec.

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

Not sure if this helps at all, but I’m about 5’3 and started at 145, bf in the mid-twenties, and ended up around 118 during peak week. No idea what my bf was. I think it read 12% a few weeks out…I felt tiny, but didn’t look out of place on stage in WPD and was definitely carrying more muscle than the girl that took overall in figure.[/quote]

I want to compete in figure. I was told that right now I would be better off in bikini but I dont think I would feel comfortable in the bikini division, I would rather wait and build more muscle. I am going to make the decision the end of Dec. [/quote]

Don’t want to totally hijack. You should have a message…

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

I want to compete in figure. I was told that right now I would be better off in bikini but I dont think I would feel comfortable in the bikini division, I would rather wait and build more muscle. I am going to make the decision the end of Dec. [/quote]

Don’t want to totally hijack. You should have a message…
[/quote]

PM? I dont. I have a log tho in PW if you want! (unless its just slow getting to me)

[quote]coyotegal wrote:

PM? I dont. I have a log tho in PW if you want! (unless its just slow getting to me)[/quote]

It was sent. Hmm…I’ll get over to your log later.

[quote]gregron wrote:
OP, you should probably have started dieting last week… you’re behind the power curve.

lol…

Seriously though, without listing your stats or posting some pictures there is no real way to tell.

Look at ZRAW’s thread. he’s been dieting for his show for like 2 years now lololol[/quote]

LOL!

I know compared to most of you guys I dont look impressive, but I want to go on stage next year. Hope this pics help.