T Nation

When To Start a T-Booster

At 42 and out of shape I feel the definite need for a testosterone booster.

I have just started with walking, will shortly start HIIT, and then at the beginning of May, I will start with resistance training at the gym.

When should I start taking something like Spike?
I feel that I should be taking it now to give me a kick in the pants and get me going with more energy, opinions?

And, when should I start on a T-Booster.
Now while I am only walking seems like it would be a waste. I am thinking in May. But I may not be to a safe point of lifting yet to get any benefit, so I am thinking even later,after a month or two of lifting to get me used to the iron again before I start with a T-Booster.

Any opinions? Keep in mind that I am 42 y.o and not at peak athletic ability, far from it.

Thanks

T is not just for weights. Increased T will help you in your quest for weightloss. It will increase your libido.

Also, it takes time for these products to build up in your system… You don’t take an Alpha Male one day and have skyrocketing T the next. Give it a try now. Go for three months on approved cycle, log it, see how you feel. Everyone gets different reactions from different drugs. Give them time to work. Document everything. Follow a sensible, healthy lifestyle. Have fun. Good luck.

Re-read your post and have some questions. Why wait for starting weights. This, not walking, will get you where you want to go faster. Walking helps you when you are walking, weights help you burn k’s all day. Start safe-possibly get a personal trainer for a couple of workouts–read all you can about beginning to lift weights. Get started today! Also, to go from nothing, to walking, to HIIT is quite a jump. Ease into this for the long haul.

Walking, walking uphill, jogging, weightlifting, watching your diet–These are your beginning basics. Get to a gym today!

I dont know this for sure but I think you have to be on the T-boosters for a little while before you start to experience any effects. If that is the case then I would start taking them when you start lifting.

As far as taking Spike, you could do that right now if you wish. I really like Spike.

Get your diet right first. If it’s not, changing it will be the best thing you can do.

If you haven’t gotten it right yet, how will you know if the special supplements are making the difference?

Build a base with good diet, then see what the sups add.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Re-read your post and have some questions. Why wait for starting weights. This, not walking, will get you where you want to go faster. Walking helps you when you are walking, weights help you burn k’s all day. Start safe-possibly get a personal trainer for a couple of workouts–read all you can about beginning to lift weights. Get started today! Also, to go from nothing, to walking, to HIIT is quite a jump. Ease into this for the long haul.

I started walking to get myself used to breathing hard again. The reason I have not joined a gym yet is because I get paid once a month. I figure next payday, I will start on supplements, and the following, join the gym.I know that resistance training is best for losing fat, but I needed to get my heart used to pumping again. It’s hard to believe that I used to run five miles a day.

Walking, walking uphill, jogging, weightlifting, watching your diet–These are your beginning basics. Get to a gym today![/quote]

[quote]Mr. Chen wrote:
Get your diet right first. If it’s not, changing it will be the best thing you can do.

If you haven’t gotten it right yet, how will you know if the special supplements are making the difference?

Build a base with good diet, then see what the sups add.[/quote]

I am already working on eating clean.
I am not having a real problem with it. I just need to possibly tweak it.

Wishin:

Don’t confuse GPP with building strength. Lifting will improve your GPP a little if you haven’t been doing anything, but GPP will definitely help your lifting on a long term basis.

DO BOTH!

Also, keep in mind that just as you are walking to begin to improve your fitness, you must also “learn” to lift properly/again. Not only technique, but teaching your muscles to actually work again (neural training/recruitment).

I agree with the others; start now. Don’t wait.

Don’t have the cash until payday? Lift cinderblocks around the yard. Rearrange your furniture every other day (hell, my wife does this every time I turn around). Do push-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats. Don’t sweat the specifics. Just get moving.

If you have truly been idle for a long time, you will be amazed at the benefits you get. They will come quickly.

THEN, after you have gotten your butt moving, when pay day gets here, reward yourself. Gym membership, perhaps a PT although a good gym can/should give a beginner some basic guidance, and then maybe some Spike.

The danger is, you start Spike without moving first, you may delude yourself into thinking a pill is all you need to feel better.

Thanks for the great advice.
After two weeks, I am now feeling more energetic. (not a bundle of energy yet, but moving towards it)
I believe that I will be joining the gym on the next payday, and then start the supps the following month. Once I get the upfront fees out of the way, I can afford to keep the membership (monthly payments) and do the supps.

[quote]Tokendude wrote:
Wishin:

I agree with the others; start now. Don’t wait.

Don’t have the cash until payday? Lift cinderblocks around the yard. Rearrange your furniture every other day (hell, my wife does this every time I turn around). Do push-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats. Don’t sweat the specifics. Just get moving.

[/quote]

Wishin,

Start lifting…NOW…not tomorrow…not in April…not in May…NOW…

You got some great advice here. As far as Testosterone boosters, what is your level now? If you don’t know, how do you know you need one?

I guess I would get a full medical check up and establish a baseline. Be sure to get chemistries with a lipid analysis, CBC, urinalysis, if you want, free testosterone, total Testosterone, IGF-1, Estradiol, DHEA/DHEA-s, Full thyroid panel. To check your heart you may also want to get the CARDIO-CRP (not a regular CRP), Homocysteine.
Looks like you’re off to a good start. Watch your diet, watch your alcohol and keep on exercising.

By the way, I took my baseline testosterone measurements. I am taking Alpha Male for the one month they recommend and then re-drawing my blood to check to see the differences. I’ll keep you guys informed. (3 weeks to go)

Regards

T-Guy69

[quote]t-guy69 wrote:
You got some great advice here. As far as Testosterone boosters, what is your level now? If you don’t know, how do you know you need one?

I guess I would get a full medical check up and establish a baseline. Be sure to get chemistries with a lipid analysis, CBC, urinalysis, if you want, free testosterone, total Testosterone, IGF-1, Estradiol, DHEA/DHEA-s, Full thyroid panel. To check your heart you may also want to get the CARDIO-CRP (not a regular CRP), Homocysteine.
Looks like you’re off to a good start. Watch your diet, watch your alcohol and keep on exercising.

By the way, I took my baseline testosterone measurements. I am taking Alpha Male for the one month they recommend and then re-drawing my blood to check to see the differences. I’ll keep you guys informed. (3 weeks to go)

Regards

T-Guy69
[/quote]

How do I know need one? I am not energetic, sex drive is decreasing, and I am forty two y.o.
Testing sounds great. On average, how much do the tests cost, or, How can I possibly get insurance to pay for it?
Thanks

If I were you, I’d start lifting now.
take the exercise lis from Total Body Training or ABBH and do a simplified workout - 3 times per week, 3 sets of 10 with very moderate weights.
After the first week, add some weight to each exercise and repeat.
By the third week you should be getting accustomed to lifting and have a better feel of what you are capable of.
I’d continue adding weight for two more weeks and then start Chad Waterbury’s ABBH as he wrote it to start learning more about sets and reps.

I know 3 sets of 10 is passe. but it is a very good way to get going - you can’t lift too much weight and finish the sets; the repititions and habit of lifting 3 x per week are more important than the actual gains and you shouldn’t get too sore from a routine like that and thats a good thing when you are starting.

For those not in their 40’s or older, its more important to get going and ease in than to go macho and overdo when you start. recovery has to be relearned as well.

[quote]wishin wrote:

How do I know need one? I am not energetic, sex drive is decreasing, and I am forty two y.o.
Testing sounds great. On average, how much do the tests cost, or, How can I possibly get insurance to pay for it?
Thanks
[/quote]

Testing is the ONLY way to know. It is the only way to know if you took something like Alpha Male or any other supplement if it was working.

How much does the test cost, I am not sure. Varies for lab to lab.

Can you get insurance to pay for it is a good question. Insurance pays for testing you NEED. When docs order blood work, they put down codes for the reason they order the blood work. Insurance pays for what is medical necessary. So if your doctor put down a code for headache, they most likely would NOT pay. If he put down a code for something that would indicated a low testosterone level, they may.

Therefore if your doctor put down the proper Diagnosis Codes, you very well may get insurance.

Why not go to your doctor and get a test patch or gel? At least you’ll be under a doctors supervision and know whats going on with your body.

What happens when you stop useing a test booster? Are your worse off than when you started?I myself at age 48 have thought about both these methods but don’t want to shut down what test i still have flowing in my system.

If you just tell your doctor that you are low on energy, sex drive, etc. then he will have no reason not to ask your insurance company to pay for it. Testing for Test levels is rather expensive, several hundred dollars. But depending on what kind of health insurance you have it should not cost you more than $70-$100.

I am in my 20’s and i had no problem getting my insurance to pay to have my test levels pulled along with thyroid progestin, estrogen, and DHEA. It only cost me $75 after my insurance.

[quote]Steve B. wrote:
Why not go to your doctor and get a test patch or gel? At least you’ll be under a doctors supervision and know whats going on with your body.

What happens when you stop useing a test booster? Are your worse off than when you started?I myself at age 48 have thought about both these methods but don’t want to shut down what test i still have flowing in my system.[/quote]

Good question! What happens when the booster is eliminated?
Test patch or gel? I might have to ask the Doc. about that.