T Nation

When to Start a Split?

I have been training 4 years (2 years serious) have done TBT and WS4SB. But I would like to now try split training because im getting sick of TBT tbh. So does any1 know any good begginer splits?

You’re not exactly a beginner… Have you read today’s new article?

Do you want an already made split program or just what others use?

If the latter, I use this split:
Monday-Chest
Tuesday-Back
Wednesday-Biceps, Triceps
Thursday-Legs
Friday-Abs, Deltoids
Saturday-Speedbag, work on anything lagging.

I would still consider myself a beginner due to the fact that only 1.5 years was busting balls, and i am only 17. that split is nice but looks rather advanced.

Can you tell me why it looks a bit advanced? Do you want to work out less days? Feed me some information, brother.

Seperate day for ur chest and back and arms. But im new to splits and havnt really studied them so i am unsure but i looked advanced due to the ammount of body parts per session (1 usually)

Doing full squat cleans or snatches is what I think of when I hear “advanced”. Training different bodyparts on different days is not.

There’s always the push/pull split. MWF

Chest Shoulders Triceps

Back Biceps Abs

Quads Hams Calves

[quote]Charged wrote:
Seperate day for ur chest and back and arms. But im new to splits and havnt really studied them so i am unsure but i looked advanced due to the ammount of body parts per session (1 usually)[/quote]

shut up with that advanced crap. Just do it, it is a good split and you only work out a body part once a week. tbt your used to working out a body part three times a week(random guess) with less volume a session. this one just has all the volume in one day.

You don’t have to be so hostile with the kid.

Some examples that you can choose from:

Day 1-Chest and Tri’s
Day 2-Back and Bi’s
Day 3-Legs and Delts
Day 4-Abs

Day 1- Bi’s and Tri’s
Day 2- Chest and Delts
Day 3- Abs and Back
Day 4- Legs

Day 1- Legs and Bi’s
Day 2-Back and Tri’s
Day 3-Chest and Back
Day 4-Delts and Abs

Day 1-Chest
Day 2-Back
Day 3-Bi’s, Tri’s
Day 4-Legs, Delts
Day 5-Abs

My personal one as aforementioned. Just something to choose from.

[quote]Charged wrote:
Seperate day for ur chest and back and arms. But im new to splits and havnt really studied them so i am unsure but i looked advanced due to the ammount of body parts per session (1 usually)[/quote]

Are you sure that you know what a split is? You aren’t going to work your full body during a body part split. If you’ve been training TBT for a while, it might be good for you to give it a try and see how you respond.

Full body or total body usually refers to any workout containing at least one compound upper body pushing movement, one compound upper body pulling movement, and one compound lower body movement.

If you take any of those out, you are left with a split.

If you want to work a body part more frequently, you could do:

Day 1:push
Day 2:pull
Day 3:off
repeat

or:

Day 1:Upper
Day 2:Lower
Day 3:off
repeat

Any of the splits mentioned before would work. You just have to realize that rather than doing, for example, 4-5 sets for your chest 3 days per week(12-15 sets), now you will be doing 4-5 sets of 3 different exercises once per week(still 12-15 sets). You will induce more fatigue in that specific muscle, but then have much longer for it to recover.

Some people love TBT, some love splits…many would benefit from trying both and seeing what works best for them. Maybe both.