T Nation

When to Schedules Sprints?

I squat on Wednesday and dead lift on Saturday. My goal is to gain strength and size, but I would like to do some sprinting as well. Would it be advisable for me to include sprinting, and if so, when should I do it so as to avoid compromising squats and deads?

Working in something like sprints or sled conditioning, etc is a great idea. Three times a week should be pretty good. Fit them in on off-days or after any workout, perhaps before an upper body workout if you had to. The only days I would avoid putting conditioning would be the days before deadlifts and squats. So I wouldn’t try it on Tuesday or Friday.

i like to push my prowler after squat and deadlift workout. I don’t do any accessory movements so I just do 5/3/1 squat or deadlift, maybe a few triples added to it, then go push sled or sprint.

I do my sprint/sled work after my squat and deads. Sucks to start with, but you adapt.

Squats in the AM

Sprints in the PM

Pulls in the evening.

I like to run sprints the day after squatting. Legs are sore as hell, but it’s nothing a good warmup can’t overcome.
Sometimes I tend to cramp so I make sure to consume plenty of electrolytes + fluids the night before.

I am also doing 531, I just started my first 531 week today. I like to do sprints or Prowler pushes after my squat and deadlift workouts, as part of the same session. I have also gone back to my gym to do a Prowler workout in the afternoon when I wasn’t able to get it in during my morning session before work. Sprinting/pushing is a great complement to a leg workout, and the workout will have your legs already warmed up anyway.

Thanks guys. Here’s what I’ve been thinking:

8-12 short (about 60 meter) hill sprints on Wednesday after my squat workout. (I might also try doing these on Monday afternoon, after my vertical pressing workout).
8-12 all out 100s on Thursday morning
4-5 all out 300s on Sunday morning

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
Thanks guys. Here’s what I’ve been thinking:

8-12 short (about 60 meter) hill sprints on Wednesday after my squat workout. (I might also try doing these on Monday afternoon, after my vertical pressing workout).
8-12 all out 100s on Thursday morning
4-5 all out 300s on Sunday morning
[/quote]

Define all out because if you haven’t been running I doubt you can actually go all out for 300 meters. And if you don’t go all out (or close to it), you aren’t sprinting. This is something that a lot of people who add sprinting to their routines don’t understand. If you do longer sprints, like 400m, it’s not about running that distance as fast as you can but running as fast as you can (or almost as fast) for that distance. That’s why I when I see people posting 400m times of 70 seconds, for example, I know they are probably not doing them correctly or shouldn’t even be doing them at all.

To do a 70 second 400 your 100m time should be 15-16 seconds, which is very slow. And if your 100m time is in that range you won’t be running 400m in 70 seconds because it would mean you are capable of maintaining a pace that is close to full speed for over a minute. Elite 400m runners run at almost max speed for 45 seconds, or less. It’s not that doing longer sprints, in “poor” times are bad but that you aren’t actually sprinting and/or doing HIT. Doing slower paced 300-400m “sprints” will get you in shape but you might start looking like a middle distance runner.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Define all out because if you haven’t been running I doubt you can actually go all out for 300 meters. And if you don’t go all out (or close to it), you aren’t sprinting. [/quote]

For me i feel a pronounced decrease in rocket boost after 60-80m. Yes “all out” for a longer distance like 300m is kind of foggy.

You will be running fast at the end, but probly not as fast as you were at the start.