When to Quit a Program?

Ha, I was wondering if anyone would call him out for this.

It’s not quite the Health Satori Project, though.

Anyways, it’s really great when someone shows up totally new to the forums to drop knowledge bombs like “the more you push yourself towards your maximum physical limitations, the greater your chance to cause the body to adapt.” Revolutionary stuff, I tell you.

He sounded like he was trying to sell a program to planet fitness.

My first impression was that he was trying to sell a book, if you check what was edited on his first post in this thread he mentioned a book on Amazon. I didn’t want to jump to conclusions and for all I knew at the time he was just excited about some training method he came across. But here’s the thing - he’s wrong. It might be a good approach for hypertrophy, but probably not any better than the advice that people like Mike Israetel post on Facebook every day. And think about this for a second:

So if you are using a weight that is your 5rm you are somehow missing out on some training benefits if you don’t do at least 4 reps in each set. Not only is it unnecessary to push so close to failure on every set, but it will also cause a disproportionate amount of fatigue that will slow your recovery. Read some of Sheiko’s articles, he purposely has the majority of sets kept far from failure to ingrain proper technique. He is also one of the most successful coaches in the history of powerlifting.

Exactly!

Gentlemen, the proof of validity of any training system is the number of top athletes it has produced. The results of Sheiko, Bulgarian, Smolov, Westside, Western Periodization, etc. all speak for themselves. Some of the newer programs such as Lilliebridge, 5/3/1, Cube, Juggernaut show great promise and time will tell if they join the long standing programs in the top group.

Everyone is different to a degree but basic principles don’t vary much and the mark of a great program is that it will get results for a wide variety of people becasue a great program is based on core principles, not smoke and mirror bullshit some guy made up to sell to globo gyms to make people sweaty.

Be careful who you follow.

1 Like