T Nation

When to Power Snatch?

Coach Thibs I know you are a huge fan of the power snatch. I love to lift explosively and work on power output. I want to start a strength/bodybuilding routine. Where should I do my power moves? I would do power snatch, med ball slams and throws, and jumps

I’m not Thibs, but ideally at the beginning of your workout to activate.
Here’s how I personally do it:
Power Snatch on High Pull Days
Jumps of any kind or Clean variation on Squatting/Deadlifting days
Medicine Ball throw overhead: Overhead pressing days
Medicine ball throw from chest: Bench days
Etc.

2-4 sets of 1-5 reps (depends on the move) works well for me.

Thanks, good info mate

[quote]Colbstar wrote:
I’m not Thibs, but ideally at the beginning of your workout to activate.
Here’s how I personally do it:
Power Snatch on High Pull Days
Jumps of any kind or Clean variation on Squatting/Deadlifting days
Medicine Ball throw overhead: Overhead pressing days
Medicine ball throw from chest: Bench days
Etc.

2-4 sets of 1-5 reps (depends on the move) works well for me.[/quote]

this is pretty good advice,

if your goal is to increase speed/explosiveness then do them before your main/strength work.

i think you’re better floating around the 1-3 rep range for power snatch, save the 3-5 range for jumps or throws are they arent as technical.

I Power Snatch on a damn near daily basis as High Frequency Strength Work. Usually just work up to a heavy single for the day and call it good. I try to have a “constant” that I hit everyday. If I hit lower, it’s usually a good sign I didn’t sleep well or haven’t been eating enough, and if I hit higher - well, hell yeah!

I also Power Snatch as part of a complex during conditioning workouts.

PS is GREAT as activation as mentioned (which also makes it great for Neural Charge workouts), and I find that I can do them [light and explosive] after a heavy High Pull session and reap great benefits.

Snatch is great anywhere.

My two cents. I do PS at the beginning of the workout and then I follow up with deads, for activation and power and allow myself to spare the warm-up for deads as I’m already all activated from the power snatch (not sure if this last thing is completely optimal but I never had any injury and my numbers haven’t been stalling for a while)