T Nation

When to Move to a Split?

I’m currently doing a fullbody workout 2-3x a week. I’m still seeing regular PRs so it’s clearly still working for me in terms of recovery and supercompensation, etc.

However, at some point I realize it’s going to stall out.

At what point does it make sense to switch to a split? Is it best to just gradually move things that direction as recovery times become longer?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
when it’s going to stall out.

[/quote]

Depends on your goals, but you actually answered your own question.

What is your goal? BB or PL?
I suppose it would make sense to keep doing what you are doing till you stop making gains as you have said yourself. I feel its best to completely milk a working strategy so I would up the intesity or volume from your current program when you slow down in progression. Then when you have stopped gaining from the added intesity then you can start the switch to a new program.
And I think you would benefit from a straight swap in programs which would give your body a shock.

SB

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
What is your goal? BB or PL?
I suppose it would make sense to keep doing what you are doing till you stop making gains as you have said yourself. I feel its best to completely milk a working strategy so I would up the intesity or volume from your current program when you slow down in progression. Then when you have stopped gaining from the added intesity then you can start the switch to a new program.
And I think you would benefit from a straight swap in programs which would give your body a shock.

SB[/quote]

Non-competitive BB? BB-style training for the looks? I don’t know. Something like that. If/when I get to looking like I want to look, I might consider competing.

I probably know what I’m doing; I just know a lot of people start out with splits, and take years to understand how long their particular body parts recover. This way I figure it out as I go along.

Meh. Guess it was a dumb question on my part.