When to Flip Goals

Currently leaning down from 192lbs and 26% bf, standing at 166 lbs, 18% bf and still losing about 1 to 1.5lb a week.

Body fat loss has slowed a lot.

So - the question

I feel as if the muscle is fading away - yet the strength is still there and even gradually improving (but I am getting smaller).

So - after 6 months of leaning down - when does one start to pack it back on in a clean controlled manner.

I had goals of getting to 12 to 15% bf, but fear I may strip down too much muscle to do it.

How can one tell if the muscle is staying put, and its just the fat going away.

Diet is high protein, 35% fat 25% carb, 40% protein, over Six times a day - about 2000 calories.

Cardio three times a week

Heavy upper then lower then full workouts (another three days)

Too much training, not enough food ?

Keep it going another month (at 6 so far with 22 lbs lost) ?

The muscle likely isn’t fading away, you just are finally seeing how small you actually are(not an insult). 136 lbs of LBM isn’t going to make anyone(assuming you are male) look big unless you are 5’4 or under and very lean. You are already six months into your goal, why not just finish it, then realize you need serious size gains and get to work on that?

If you are still losing 1 - 1.5 pounds a week then that’s good progress with your diet. If the strength is still there then so is the muscle. What you want to do is really up to you, what are your goals?

Thanks

You know - that makes all the sense in the world - Its only 136 or lbs of LBM - which when I was at 25% bf may have looked big, but was really not good. I guess I am lamenting the inability to gain muscle size, and lose fat at the same time - alas it does not work that way…

My goal is to be 12% at 170/175 - how long do you think of a haul I have ahead of me…

[quote]Scott M wrote:
The muscle likely isn’t fading away, you just are finally seeing how small you actually are(not an insult). 136 lbs of LBM isn’t going to make anyone(assuming you are male) look big unless you are 5’4 or under and very lean. You are already six months into your goal, why not just finish it, then realize you need serious size gains and get to work on that?[/quote]

Right - I am 5’6" so its OK - but nothing anywhere near ‘massive’.

would be interested in pictures

Pics coming tomorrow.

Good idea - I can get a lot of feedback then…

Some pics thanks for comments - go easy…

One more

Wow - now that I see myself online - I got a way to go. But its all good. Bring on the advise!

I think you should continue getting lean however you may want take a week or so break from the diet and reevaluate some of the things you are doing.

Take a look at this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1615551

If you haven’t lost strength then you probably haven’t lost any or very little muscle. Your muscles appear smaller to you because you lost fat as well as glycogen and water that are stored in the muscle.

I think CT said that you shouldn’t bulk until you’re under 10% BF. That way the weight you add will be largely muscle. My plan, hugely ambitious since I’m at about 18% right now, is to get to 8/9% for the summer, and then come September try and bulk up.

Anyways, good luck.

Bulk after hitting 10% - that seems to make sense. Thats about another 12 lbs at my current rate. Not too bad. I may take a week off entirely since I have been at it hard for over a year, and hard with diet since September.

Thanks for the words

I agree with Scott. You just don’t have as much muscle as you think you should.

(not picking on you)

When you get down to 10% or so, then reevaluate, you may just realize how much smaller you are then you thought. I wouldn’t stop losing fat, but I would take a week or two every 12 to eat at maintenance, and give the metabolism a boost.

Yup - a transformation like the one I am contemplating is a journey - a long one. Thanks folks

Mark

Your going to be suprised what your lbm acutally is. Im coming down from 195, thinking I was going to be lean @ 180, Im now down to 170 and still only see 4 abs and have a lil mini gut still, so being fat makes you think your more muscular than you are.

Based on my current run rate on diet since September. If I do half as well (since its slowing down) I should hit 10% by May or June.

Not too bad.

I will post up progress as it goes

Looks like I will be about 150lbs, down from 165 I am now.

That’s way too light for my tastes - I will be killing myself waiting to bulk up by then.

Mark

why not try the V-Diet, you’ll get down with your weight in no time. Just look at the results Gus achieved in as little as 6 weeks.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readPhysClin.do?id=1852678

You might think it is too expensive to buy that much in supplements, but i say it is worth it. make the investment do the V-diet for 4 weeks and you’ll loose as much as you did over the past 6 months.

V-Diet - looks interesting - what about muscle loss - seems kind of low calorie

[quote]metamorphisis wrote:

My goal is to be 12% at 170/175 - how long do you think of a haul I have ahead of me…[/quote]

You have a lifetime ahead of you. Keep up the good work and you will exceed this goal. I don’t know when but it really doesn’t matter.