When to Eat Fruit?

[quote]machwon wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I find fruit to be a shitty carb source bodybuilding wise.

Rice, potatoes much more bang for your buck.[/quote]

Any/all rice? white, brown, etc?[/quote]

Try them all and see what suits your digestive system best

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]machwon wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
this is a prime example of obsessing over stuff that has very little impact.

Just eat your fruit whenever. It’s good for you.[/quote]

I hear you and I agree. It’s just frustrating with some of my friends who also lift seeing better results with a much shittier diet. I understand some of that is genetics, but damn.

I sit at a computer most of the day, so that’s why I was questioning the fruit in the am. [/quote]

You think a piece of fruit is the determining factor of your gains?

Really?

Stop comparing yourself to others and make your own goals. If you are not gaining, an apple will not be the difference, no matter what time you eat it.

You need to look at your diet and program a lot closer and be honest with yourself.

And every time I see the words “eating clean”, I see underfed.[/quote]

my thoughts exactly

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]machwon wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Any/all rice? white, brown, etc?[/quote]

Try them all and see what suits your digestive system best[/quote]

I would also add that brown rice is a pain the arse with how long it takes to cook

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I just don’t eat fruit.[/quote]

Is all you eat fatty cuts of meat, fats, and veggies?[/quote]

And a lot of nuts (many of which are more anti-oxidant rich than fruit). And I’m trying to get more organ meat.[/quote]
What is a “lot of nuts”?

I didn’t think anyone could eat as much nuts as I do, although lately I am trying to cut down.

tweet[/quote]

3+ of the screw top plastic containers of nuts a week? (not counting peanuts)

[quote]therajraj wrote:

True, by that criterion.

By the ‘longevity’ criterion, I eat some combo of fresh kiwi/apple/avocado every single day.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
3+ of the screw top plastic containers of nuts a week? (not counting peanuts)[/quote]
This means nothing to me.

I talk in grams.

tweet

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]machwon wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]machwon wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
this is a prime example of obsessing over stuff that has very little impact.

Just eat your fruit whenever. It’s good for you.[/quote]

I hear you and I agree. It’s just frustrating with some of my friends who also lift seeing better results with a much shittier diet. I understand some of that is genetics, but damn.

I sit at a computer most of the day, so that’s why I was questioning the fruit in the am. [/quote]

You think a piece of fruit is the determining factor of your gains?

Really?

Stop comparing yourself to others and make your own goals. If you are not gaining, an apple will not be the difference, no matter what time you eat it.

You need to look at your diet and program a lot closer and be honest with yourself.

And every time I see the words “eating clean”, I see underfed.[/quote]

No, I don’t. And that’s not at all what I said. My gains are fine, but I’m trying to do it without more fat gain, and hopefully while slowly losing fat. That’s why I was questioning the fruit and when people were eating it. I didn’t know if there were studies showing that fruits at a certain time of day or period of time from the workout were more likely to be stored as fat or not. I was trying to find out why I have read, in several places, that fruits shouldn’t be consumed post workout.[/quote]

Then look at your overall diet. Find out what you are eating, when and how much.

Fructose also replenishes liver glycogen. Not very helpful for what you are trying to do. Bananas (for example) also have a lot of glucose, so that is not too bad.

Fruit is not bad, but you need the right kind of fruit and there are better options out there for PWO.

But I stand by my original post. YES, you did say that your friends get better results with shittier diets. That is not saying your gains are fine.

If you are gaining fat, your diet and/or program suck, you are inconsistent or you are not telling us the whole story.

Ever thought about a log (food and WO)?[/quote]

I appreciate the reply. I guess I meant as far as body composition, they have better results with shittier diets, not so much the strength gains part.

I don’t keep a diet log, but I have in the past on fitday, and know about what I consume based on that experience, and I am quite consistent. As far as the workout goes, I keep the log on paper and then transfer it into an excel file log that I have at work the next day, haha. Like I said, my strength gains are slow and steady, like they should be with 5/3/1.

The ONLY place that seems to get bigger these days is my stomach though. I don’t eat enough to see big mass gains, because it seems every time I ramp up my intake, my stomach grows 2:1 compared to the rest of my body. It’s usually a ramp in carbs and protein, not fat. I do sit at a computer for the large part of 8 hours/day, plus an hour each way to/from work on the bus (Houston). I may need to go get some blood work done or something.

Both cutting and gaining I have never seen any difference in rate of progress when carbs come from fruit vs. starchy choices like rice or potatoes. It’s a personal preference for me. The only difference I will point out is that with fruit you don’t really “fill out” as much, but if you’re not getting on stage in the next month, that’s a moot point.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Both cutting and gaining I have never seen any difference in rate of progress when carbs come from fruit vs. starchy choices like rice or potatoes. It’s a personal preference for me. The only difference I will point out is that with fruit you don’t really “fill out” as much, but if you’re not getting on stage in the next month, that’s a moot point.

[/quote]

Obviously everyone is different but… of all the nutrition videos I’ve seen of IFBBs and assorted developed bodybuilders how many eat fruit in their videos?

Not even talking contest prep, even in offseason I rarely if ever see these guys consuming fruit

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
3+ of the screw top plastic containers of nuts a week? (not counting peanuts)[/quote]

I talk in grams.

tweet[/quote]

lol x2

also any nuts in particular?

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I talk in grams.

tweet[/quote]

lol x2

also any nuts in particular?
[/quote]

looking at the labels probably 600+ grams. Generally a pretty good variety, walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, est.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[/quote]

Obviously everyone is different but… of all the nutrition videos I’ve seen of IFBBs and assorted developed bodybuilders how many eat fruit in their videos?

Not even talking contest prep, even in offseason I rarely if ever see these guys consuming fruit[/quote]

That makes perfect sense. As I mentioned, it will affect “fullness” in prep season so they stay away from it. In the off-season, fruit is a very inefficient way to get the carbohydrate intake most of these guys require at their size. It would be a serious burden to try to take down several pounds of berries each day when they can just eat rice. 10 1-lb bags of frozen wild blueberries from Trader Joe’s is about 400g net carbs. Also, I know Shelby Starnes and John Meadows definitely are eating fruit during the off-season and beginning of preps.

Morever–inserting personal opinion now–I think BBers often diet, train, and do cardio based off of years of tradition and not always through personal experimentation. So it’s not always the best gauge for finding what’s “optimal.” I agree it’s difficult to find ones who consume all that much fruit, but can you find one who has documented experimentation of a stretch of dieting where he/she used fruit and showed lower than average progress? They are some of the most disciplined individuals on the planet, but also the most paranoid to make small changes that may disturb what’s been working so well for them all along.

What a truly awful thread. Seriously, just awful.

If you are that worried about the 5% that is how specific types of carbs are processed and not the 95% that is being in a proper deficit, you are doing it about as wrong as you can.

So your diet has stalled for a significant period of time on low-carb? Then stop being lazy and figure out your macros, then increase carb intake and decease fat. Experiment with something different.

When to eat fruit?

Eat apples when you have some yogurt.

Eat bananas when you have cottage cheese.

Eat Strawberries whenever they’re cheap.

Oranges are pretty good to eat solo.

Avocados go great with a couple eggs or together with a salad.

Raspberries with dark chocolate.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
When to eat fruit?

Raspberries with dark chocolate.[/quote]

Honestly? I like to avoid sugar. It’s one of the reasons I’m not big on fruit.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
When to eat fruit?

[/quote]

Why avoid sugar?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
When to eat fruit?

[/quote]

Why avoid sugar?
[/quote]

I personally have health problems related to it.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
When to eat fruit?

[/quote]

Why avoid sugar?
[/quote]

I personally have health problems related to it.[/quote]

Like digestive issues?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
When to eat fruit?

[/quote]

Why avoid sugar?
[/quote]

I personally have health problems related to it.[/quote]

Like digestive issues?[/quote]

No, cholesterol/triglyceride issues.