When to do HIIT?

Good evening all.

I’ll give a brief background of my stats and goals:

-Weight: 185 pounds
-Body fat: 19%
-Goal: Reduce body fat consistently in a cutting phase for the next few months
-Diet: Clean with 1 cheat meal a week
-Previous bulking: September 06-February07

-Current training plan: Total body training http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031&pageNo=0 3 times a week.

My question is simply, having read articles such as the recent hierarchy of fat loss it has become evident to accelerate my fat loss i should start to incorporate some HIIT into my program.

Do i do this HIIT after my resistance training (normally lasts 3/4hour)?

Do i do the HIIT on “offdays”?

I spoke with a personal trainer at my gym and he was under the impression that i should just do a 20 minute “fat burn” walk on the treadmill after each workout.

Im very appreciative on any help you can give on the subject.

Thanks, Fenix

Welcome

in short HIIT in general should be given as much respect as resistance training and done all out high intensity. and also rest/recovery is needed. Devote a day to it or do say resistance training AM HIIT PM.

its not a hard fast rule that you cant do them the same time but one cwill suffer the weights or the HIIT if done the same time. Can lead to great conditioning though

Phill

[quote]Fenix wrote:
Good evening all.

I’ll give a brief background of my stats and goals:

-Weight: 185 pounds
-Body fat: 19%
-Goal: Reduce body fat consistently in a cutting phase for the next few months
-Diet: Clean with 1 cheat meal a week
-Previous bulking: September 06-February07

-Current training plan: Total body training http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031&pageNo=0 3 times a week.

My question is simply, having read articles such as the recent hierarchy of fat loss it has become evident to accelerate my fat loss i should start to incorporate some HIIT into my program.

Do i do this HIIT after my resistance training (normally lasts 3/4hour)?

Do i do the HIIT on “offdays”?

I spoke with a personal trainer at my gym and he was under the impression that i should just do a 20 minute “fat burn” walk on the treadmill after each workout.

Im very appreciative on any help you can give on the subject.

Thanks, Fenix[/quote]

Do it on your ‘off’ days. If your schedule doesn’t allow it and you have to do both weightlifting and HIIT on the same day, try to get at least 4-6 hours rest between. Get one ‘real’ off-day (no training whatsoever) per week.

So a

Monday: Full body resistance training

Tuesday: HIIT

Wednesday: Full body resistance training

Thursday: HIIT

Friday: Full body resistance training

Saturday: Off

Sunday: Off

How would that look? Also how long would you recommend i do HIIT for. 20 mins sound good?

looks good try it see how you handle it

id recomend the heaviest leg work you do on day 1 goooooo heavy. from that point out you are essentially in constant damaged state

20 mins yes adjust as needed,
Phill

[quote]Fenix wrote:
So a

Monday: Full body resistance training

Tuesday: HIIT

Wednesday: Full body resistance training

Thursday: HIIT

Friday: Full body resistance training

Saturday: Off

Sunday: Off

How would that look? Also how long would you recommend i do HIIT for. 20 mins sound good?[/quote]