T Nation

When To Do Deadlifts?

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Bastard wrote:
serious deadlifting should be a core to your program …

They’re good but hardly indispensable. You can make great gains and never do one in your life.

[/quote]

This is true, but they are so effective, I cannot see why anyone would opt not to do them. In my opinion, they are the best exercise one can do in a weight room.

Now if only my broken fingers would hurry up and heal, I could start doing them again.

wtf?

deadlifts are last?

so it works legs, back, arms core etc

how can that not be efficient for bodybuilding

so it’s not as efficient as curls is it?? :wink:

Do deedlifts as often as you can stand it.We do them 2X week to every-other-day.

[quote]Bastard wrote:

Sxio wrote:
They’re good but hardly indispensable. You can make great gains and never do one in your life.

harris447 wrote:
Second that. I think as far as bodybulding goes–not powerlifting, of course–deadlifts are last of the Big 6 in terms of efficacy.[/quote]

ok … i sorta agree … hear me out …

(1) one does not HAVE to deadlift … but i do believe that 99 out of 100 should EITHER deadlift OR squat

(2) if one IS going to deadlift, it should be a program anchor and not just something to add in like another set of curls

that is all

Bastard

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Bastard wrote:

Second that. I think as far as bodybulding goes–not powerlifting, of course–deadlifts are last of the Big 6 in terms of efficacy.

Just my opinion, though.

[/quote]

WTF!???

What are the other 5 that are more efficiant for bodybuilding?

I can’t wait to see this.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Bastard wrote:

Second that. I think as far as bodybulding goes–not powerlifting, of course–deadlifts are last of the Big 6 in terms of efficacy.

Just my opinion, though.

WTF!???

I can’t wait to see this.[/quote]

I mentioned the so-called “Big 6”, often referred to on this site: benching, rowing, chins, dips, squats, and deads.

In my opinion, I prefer the first five over deads. Does this mean I don’t pull? No, I do. I simply do not agree with some of the people on this board who think they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.

i do them on days that end in Y…read up on them, try them and find what works…they are great!!! seriously, my hammies feel fkn great, my arse is tight as a ducks and my lower back is fkn sweet…DO IT, DO IT NOW as ahnold would say

I probably differ with a lot of people here, but I keep my routines really simple and really basic, with usually only one (MAYBE two) excercises done per bodypart each time I hit that bodypart.

I don’t consider DLs to be a “back” excercise in the way I consider rows or pullups to be a back excercise, as those excercises hit your lats very heavily (other things too, certainly, but mostly lats). DLs hit PLENTY of other areas of what is truly your back, but not so much your lats. So I don’t look at them as part of my “back” (i.e. lat) routine.

I personally use them interchangeably with squats. I know that one is technically quad-dominant and one is hip-dominant, as Ian King would say, but I find that DLs hit the living hell out of quads too, almost to the extent that squats do, as well as hitting things that squats don’t (hams, lower back, mid-back – though not really lats --, upper back, traps, etc.).

I do one or the other (squats or DLs) once per week. If I did squats last week, I’ll do DLs this week, and so on. This has served me incredibly well, and has kept things nicely balanced.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
SWR-1222D wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Bastard wrote:

Just my opinion, though.

WTF!???

I can’t wait to see this.

I mentioned the so-called “Big 6”, often referred to on this site: benching, rowing, chins, dips, squats, and deads.

In my opinion, I prefer the first five over deads. Does this mean I don’t pull? No, I do. I simply do not agree with some of the people on this board who think they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.
[/quote]

Deadlifts build soooo much more muscle than all those exercises. Except maybe squats.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
i do them on days that end in Y…[/quote]

i actually started listing off days that end in Y…

honestly i can do squats easier then DLs,but i dont like to one thing every day,so when i get bored with the one i go to the other.but i must admit when i do DLs my mid-lower back is sore like nothing else can make it

ahhh the big D day friday, one day of pain yet the whole weekend to recover.

The lower back is the slowest recovering musel. I give my self a 2 week break. Regualar dead lift I do with back. Stiff legged I do on my leg day.

I just did them on deadlift day. I am an addict and cycle a DD day every 4 days.

I dont know about you guys, but after a good DD workout I am wrecked. It is just such a complete whole body exercise. I think a program without them has got to be lacking.

Yeah for girls who dead

e

What does your current routine look like?

I do an A/B split with squats and deads.
A looks like:
-squats (10x3)
15 minute PR zone (EDT style):
-Dumbbell bench
-Dumbbell rows

B looks like:
-Deadlifts (10x3)
10 minute PR zone:
-Standing military press (with the first rep always being more of a clean and press)
-Chinups

I only go about 6 weeks at a time before taking a week or two off. I’ve found that cycle works best for me.

I think DLs are great. I only started doing them at the beginning of the year, and do them on leg day, together with squats. I’ve been making progress on both movements until recently, when my squat plateaued just above bodyweight; my DL is still going up, though. In view of this, I’ll be moving DLs out of leg day. Maybe I’ll start a Bastard-approved “DL-Day”.

How/when you do them does depend on your body type. I’m a short arse with short legs, so I’m prime DL material. At the moment my DL 5RM is 140% of my squat 5RM.

Bastard: Nice new avatar; shame it’s so small. (I bet you hear that a lot :wink:

Deadlifts are easily my favorite exercise. They give you strong erectors and good core stability. All of my other lifts have benefitted from DLs.

[quote]Tizza wrote:
I do an A/B split with squats and deads.
A looks like:
-squats (10x3)
15 minute PR zone (EDT style):
-Dumbbell bench
-Dumbbell rows

B looks like:
-Deadlifts (10x3)
10 minute PR zone:
-Standing military press (with the first rep always being more of a clean and press)
-Chinups

I only go about 6 weeks at a time before taking a week or two off. I’ve found that cycle works best for me.[/quote]

solid