T Nation

When to do Compound Exercises?

Should not compound excerises be preformed at the begining of a workout session? I might be wrong but I thought for maxium benefit the compound exercise should be performed first (squats, deads,dips). Then one should move into isolation exercises/single joint.

I am coming to an end of a program. I am looking to start another one. I just need more information before I move to something new. The whole compound exercise had me a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

In general it is best for the biggest exercises (and muscle groups) to be trained first.
However, in some cases this can be moved around to fit a lifter’s personal needs.
For instance, if I had friday set as my “deltoids and thighs” day, It would probably look like this:

Barbell OHP
Cable laterals
Lying Leg curls
Barbell back squats

In this case the biggest muscle group and also the most compound exercise is done last, so that I can give my full intensity to it without having to worry about saving energy for an entire slew of other exercises that need to be done.

If you’re going to train the same smaller groups that will be worked in the compound exercises in the same workout I’d just about always do the compounds first. Example, if you’re going to work chest and tris or back and bis on the same day the big movements should come first most of the time. I can think of some circumstances where this may not always be the case, but I doubt those will come up for you too soon.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
In general it is best for the biggest exercises (and muscle groups) to be trained first.
However, in some cases this can be moved around to fit a lifter’s personal needs.
For instance, if I had friday set as my “deltoids and thighs” day, It would probably look like this:

Barbell OHP
Cable laterals
Lying Leg curls
Barbell back squats

In this case the biggest muscle group and also the most compound exercise is done last, so that I can give my full intensity to it without having to worry about saving energy for an entire slew of other exercises that need to be done.[/quote]

I’m also a fan of doing the biggest, most taxing movement last in the workout (either some form of squat, leg press, deadlift, etc…) so that I don’t have to worry about saving energy for other exercises.

But, it depends on the workout method that you’re doing and your personal preferences. For a volume training approach, I prefer to do the biggest exercise first (since it requires the most energy to complete and will have the biggest potential for growth/strength increases), for an “intensity” training approach I prefer the above.