When to carb up for game

Hi friends,

As you all know Im a semi pro soccer player. Most of the week I eat pretty clean, and I get most of my carbs from potatos and rice during the week.

I like to make sure I have enough carbs for the weekly game on the weekend. I like to eat 3-4 buckwheat pancakes with the aim of carbing up. At the moment I do this about 4 hours before game time.

Question is; is 4 hours enough time for me to have the buckwheat converted to carbs and ready to use for the game?

Sorry if this is a stupid question(especially Mr Chris Colluci).

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

LOL

Not a stupid question, but it kinda does make your ‘semi pro’ claims all the more questionable…

[quote]chillain wrote:
Not a stupid question, but it kinda does make your ‘semi pro’ claims all the more questionable…
[/quote]

So whats the answer?

tweet

Try to figure it out yourself, maybe you’ll get smarter.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

LOL

[/quote]

European professional soccer players smoke and drink. Just being a pro or semi-pro athlete doesn’t mean you’re on the cutting edge of nutrition.

Bird, a co-worker of mine runs marathons for fun. He normally eats low carb during the day with carbs post run. Last Friday he was eating doughnuts at a morning meeting. That was unusual for him, so I asked if he had a race. Turns out he did on Saturday. He carbs up the day leading up to the race (which starts at around 7 AM).

Seems like you should experiment to find what window works well for you. I’d imagine you’d feel too sluggish eating too close to the game. You could try carbing up the night before and save some quick acting carbs for the morning (4 hrs before) the game.

Go easy on the worms though.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

LOL

[/quote]

Maybe not entirely stupid but none the less it is still just a question for the sake on asking a question.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Bird, a co-worker of mine runs marathons for fun. He normally eats low carb during the day with carbs post run. Last Friday he was eating doughnuts at a morning meeting. That was unusual for him, so I asked if he had a race. Turns out he did on Saturday. He carbs up the day leading up to the race (which starts at around 7 AM).
[/quote]
This.

And I’ve heard rice is “the best” lol.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
European professional soccer players smoke and drink. Just being a pro or semi-pro athlete doesn’t mean you’re on the cutting edge of nutrition.[/quote]

Exactly. One could argue that high-level athletes are not only fairly clueless nutritionally, BUT THAT IT DOESN"T EVEN MATTER given their superior skills, technique, genetics.

In other words, they’re successful DESPITE their lack of attention to nutritional detail.

[quote]Lock wrote:
Try to figure it out yourself, maybe you’ll get smarter.[/quote]
Speak to the claw buddy.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:

European professional soccer players smoke and drink. Just being a pro or semi-pro athlete doesn’t mean you’re on the cutting edge of nutrition.

Seems like you should experiment to find what window works well for you. I’d imagine you’d feel too sluggish eating too close to the game. You could try carbing up the night before and save some quick acting carbs for the morning (4 hrs before) the game.

Go easy on the worms though.[/quote]
Thanks for the useful response matey.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Maybe not entirely stupid but none the less it is still just a question for the sake on asking a question.[/quote]
Go troll somewhere else, pal.

[quote]kakno wrote:
And I’ve heard rice is “the best” lol.[/quote]
Im going to buy a rice cooker tomorrow. That microwave stuff cant be good for you.

[quote]chillain wrote:
In other words, they’re successful DESPITE their lack of attention to nutritional detail.
[/quote]
Yer true, but Im happy to do everything I can to become the worlds greatest. Yes, some of it depends on luck etc etc… but uncle bird make his own luck.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Maybe not entirely stupid but none the less it is still just a question for the sake on asking a question.[/quote]
Go troll somewhere else, pal.

tweet[/quote]

Yes… I am the troll… My bad.

A professional bike racer, back in the '80’s use to eat an all dress pizza with mayo. He won a handful of major races as well as some stages… try it.

I agree with the day before. Generally you carb up so that your glycogen stores full, if you carb up the day of the match you risk a fall from the insulin spike unless you go on a caffeine binge, most of the sugar is going to be used or in the process of being converted. You should eat a little lighter on actual match day unless you have a late match.

[quote]JFG wrote:
A professional bike racer, back in the '80’s use to eat an all dress pizza with mayo. He won a handful of major races as well as some stages… try it.[/quote]

Havent your heard? Gluten is the “silent killer”.

tweet

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I agree with the day before. Generally you carb up so that your glycogen stores full, if you carb up the day of the match you risk a fall from the insulin spike unless you go on a caffeine binge, most of the sugar is going to be used or in the process of being converted. You should eat a little lighter on actual match day unless you have a late match.[/quote]

Thanks buddy.
Every second week we play a late game, at 7pm. I usually do go on a mini caffeine binge before games… a strong coffee before the game, and an energy drink at half time.
Every other week, the game starts at 3pm.

tweet

chillain: thats the biggest load of bullocks ive ever heard mate. The more intense competition gets the more you get competitoon between those who arent your avarage joe blogs with little puny calves and flat asses!!its not a compeition with huge gaps, that just not how pro sport works lad.

meaning its then a competition you can not afford to give adavnatge to your opponents, you eat doner kebab and meat pies whilst your opponent is having pasta and chicken you gona get knocked the fuck out man simple shit

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I agree with the day before. Generally you carb up so that your glycogen stores full, if you carb up the day of the match you risk a fall from the insulin spike unless you go on a caffeine binge, most of the sugar is going to be used or in the process of being converted. You should eat a little lighter on actual match day unless you have a late match.[/quote]

I agree with this.

A light amount of carbs may also help the morning of, if you have a few hours to digest. Then, simple carbs throughout the game to keep energy levels up.

[quote]gifted gonads wrote:
chillain: thats the biggest load of bullocks ive ever heard mate. The more intense competition gets the more you get competitoon between those who arent your avarage joe blogs with little puny calves and flat asses!!its not a compeition with huge gaps, that just not how pro sport works lad.

meaning its then a competition you can not afford to give adavnatge to your opponents, you eat doner kebab and meat pies whilst your opponent is having pasta and chicken you gona get knocked the fuck out man simple shit
[/quote]

Heh, I’d love to carry on this exchange w/you but I’m fairly confused:

1 - What’s your point?

2 - To what, exactly, are you objecting?

im objecting to the bulloks your saying about elite athletes being ignorant when it comes to diet and having no clue, thats bulloks-whilst it may be that athletes arent nutritional experts they still know the basics and for sports you dont need knowledge like a bodybuilder because diet and its applications for bodybuilding purposes are not quite the same as they are for sports even at a high level.

I do possess an advantage over you there mate because I have been an “elite athlete” and as an ex pro footballer I know what the lads in clubs know and thats more than your thinking! If you got a game on the saturday you`ll know you shouldnt be eating doner kebabs as pre match!

Yes, you are advantaged.

But while you may know better than pre-match kebabs, what about those smoking/drinking pro footballers mentioned earlier in the thread?? Or the stories of countless top-level athletes living off candy and sodas, eating pizza before scoring 81pts, etc etc.

My point: attention to nutritional detail is a good thing, but its not EVEN REMOTELY comparable to the innate talent/skill that makes them top-level athletes in the first place. In other words, fine-tuning one’s nutrition will NOT produce any significant leap in performance/ability. (sure, it will help but its certainly no trump card that bumps one up to the next highest level of comp)

All that said, you still could’ve made the point that nutritional adjustment becomes increasingly important in the twilight of one’s career, and that wise food choices can potentially extend it a few years… but you didn’t do that.

For me eating a complex carb the night before ( rice, sweet potatoe etc) and some protein does me well. The day of the game i like have a simple carb and some protein a couple hours prior to the game. Subway sandwhich or something. Then take my pre game dump and go at it.