When to Bulk/Cut

How do you guys decide when to cut or bulk up? Do you go to a certain bf% or weight?

Typically, I bulk up in the winter and diet down in the summer but… I’ve been trying to get as strong as possible for about two years now and i’ve gotten out of shape. So now I’m strong but not as strong as one should be at 260 lbs and 6 foot 2. I am soft (looking) and feel like crap! I don’t have the flexibility and conditioning I demand of my athletes and feel like a hypocrite. So, I may lose some strength but my athleticism will improve dramatically along with my appearance and sense of well being when I “lean out”. So what am am saying is if you bulk/cut according to the weather, don’t let the bulking phase get out of hand.

I have been really wanting to get ripped lately as I have been bulking since about 140lbs. I now weigh 185lbs with 13%bf.Do I weigh enough to finally cut?

How tall are you, what are your goals? More information is needed, and a picture would help us to help you.

Submit a picture and see what the forum thinks.

Going by strict numbers can be decieving. I am now 265 and could stand to put on quite a bit more mass. Whereas I was 200 lbs a few years ago and trying to cut. Assuming you are cutting because you want to look good, I think it is more important to look proportional than to have a ‘weight stat’, and the forum can provide you with an educated but unbaised opinion.

If I ask my medical doctor father, he would say I should be around 200 at 6’6", whereas people on this site (who lift) would think I look like I had been locked in a closet eating dirt nuggets and rusty water.

[quote]T-man wrote:
I have been really wanting to get ripped lately as I have been bulking since about 140lbs. I now weigh 185lbs with 13%bf.Do I weigh enough to finally cut?[/quote]

Damn 45lbs…how long have you been bulking. I’ve been bulking since August and have only put on 18lbs. I usually start bulking around August and start cutting around April.

[quote]Waterman wrote:
How tall are you, what are your goals? More information is needed, and a picture would help us to help you. [/quote]

I am around 5’ 10" or 11" and my goal is mainly to get ripped, chiseled, or whatever you want to call it. Any suggestions on what cardio I could do during the winter? I tried jump rope but that seems to bother my back and I don’t have acces to a treadmill. Is there any other alternatives? I will try to have a picture up soon.

Thanks,

T-Man

[quote]T-man wrote:
Waterman wrote:
How tall are you, what are your goals? More information is needed, and a picture would help us to help you.

I am around 5’ 10" or 11" and my goal is mainly to get ripped, chiseled, or whatever you want to call it. Any suggestions on what cardio I could do during the winter? I tried jump rope but that seems to bother my back and I don’t have acces to a treadmill. Is there any other alternatives? I will try to have a picture up soon.

Thanks,

T-Man[/quote]

For you to get “ripped” at that weight (which is about 160.9lbs of lean body mass), you would have to drop down to close to 170lbs (which would put you at around 8% body fat). That is pretty d’amn skinny for someone who lifts weights regularly at 5’11"…but to each his own. Mind you, you would probably lose some lean body mass so you might have to drop even closer to 160lbs.

I guess true bodybuilding is actually dead now and everyone wants to look like those underwear models they put on my packages of underwear.

Fat to Fire by John Davies. Read it and achieve it. Search T-Nation for the article

I guess true bodybuilding is actually dead now and everyone wants to look like those underwear models they put on my packages of underwear.[/quote]

Dude, who cares. Would it make you happier if everyone wanted to be big like you?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
…[/quote]

If I may…I’m interested to see your picture and your stats. Thanks!

[quote]yustas wrote:
Professor X wrote:

If I may…I’m interested to see your picture and your stats. Thanks!
[/quote]

My picture is in my avatar. My stats are 5’11" at a current 253lbs (in that pic in my avatar, I was over 260lbs). That isn’t the issue, however, I was not stating that EVERYONE should try to weigh that much. I just find it odd that it is now common to want to weigh LESS than the average healthy weight for your height. This guy shooting for 170lbs or less at that height will make him look as if he doesn’t even lift weights regularly. He will just be very lean. How does that represent hard work in the gym?

By the way, where is YOUR pic. Thanks.

[quote]Riminator wrote:
Dude, who cares. Would it make you happier if everyone wanted to be big like you? [/quote]

No, it wouldn’t. I don’t expect everyone to have the exact same goal, but I do expect people on a weightlifting forum to not want to look average…just very very lean. I don’t see why some even lift weights if the goal is to simply look “cut” with no significant muscle mass. This should become a dieting forum. Hell, we can invite a few anorexic supermodels and have a grand time.

yustas wrote:
Professor X wrote:
This guy shooting for 170lbs or less at that height will make him look as if he doesn’t even lift weights regularly. He will just be very lean. How does that represent hard work in the gym? [/quote]

Being a complete fat-ass wouldn’t represent to much work in the gym either (grin). But seriously, I have never been “ripped” in my life and just want to get their to give me some motivation to keep on training.

What is shredded to one is sickly to another. I shredded out over the summer and every said how good I looked, except my mom and my neighbors (old italian couple next door). They said I looked too thin and to be careful. I don’t mind the shredded look over the summer, but maintaining that yr round probably isn’t too healthy and it is alot of work!!! I’m 190 right now at about 9%. Being a former fatty, bulking up is a mental chore. What I"m trying to do is increase strength, then increase size. I hope to lean out next summer at 190 instead of 173.

T-man,
I agree with ProfessorX. Ideally at a reasonable level of bodyfat (10%) you should have the small waist of an underwear model with a much bigger chest, legs, arms etc. Practically the V-Shape.
At 10 % bodyfat you should have a 33 inches waist with a chest of 44 inches (or more), legs of 24 inches (or more), arms of 16 inches (or more). So my advice is: keep on bulking till 15% body fat, then cut to 10 % bodyfat.

By the way, where is YOUR pic. Thanks.[/quote]

My pic is here http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=B22A58004036B5CCFF9EF2D3806193C4.titan?id=503108 Thus far I have added 20 lbs from that picture and currently still bulking. Your stats are very nice man!

I am in a situation where I have not as much muscle and more fat than I would like (just got done with football so lifting hasn’t been regular and eating hasn’t been as strict as usual). Would you guys suggest shedding the fat or attempting ot gain muscle first? Thanks.

At 13% your body will look significantly better every percent that you lose.

So I’d say it’s worth it to go down to 10%.

It should take 1 month or so.

[quote]yustas wrote:
Professor X wrote:
By the way, where is YOUR pic. Thanks.

My pic is here http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=B22A58004036B5CCFF9EF2D3806193C4.titan?id=503108 Thus far I have added 20 lbs from that picture and currently still bulking. Your stats are very nice man!

[/quote]

I am VERY glad you have added 20lbs since that picture.

As far as this topic, I respond to posts like this because I truly think some of you (not necessarily anyone in this thread) have some sort of complex like what leads some women to bulemia or anorexia. If you are UNDERweight to begin with and then try to get “cut”, you will look sick to most people…not good. Muscle (carrying more than average) is what keeps that from happening. Having a goal of weighing 160lbs at 5’11" is something I do not understand. There are many people who are heavier than that and look decent who don’t even train. To actually spend time in the gym regularly lifting weights to look like that is a little off in my opinion…unless that person were obese to begin with and were simply losing much of that before working on building more muscle. If this is the backlash for many in this country being overweight, I still don’t get it.

Another thing is there seem to be MANY people suddenly on this site who have this goal. Considering the direction this site was headed when it was first started, that confuses me. It seems there are far too many metrosexuals on this board and far too few people who lift to get exceptionally stronger than average, more muscular than average, or build more functional athletic power than average. All I see is someone logging on and asking about a diet…someone else logs on and gives them a link to an article on this site and tells them to buy more supplements…and then a few more posts throwing hugs at the person. The last two people on this site I have asked as far as stats have BOTH been under the average healthy weight for their height. I have a hard time believing that is coincidence and I REALLY don’t understand someone else disregarding the fact that someone is pretty thin to begin with as they ask for dieting advice.