When to Add Weight to Dips?

When should I start to add weight when I perform dips? Is there a good set/rep scheme that I should be able to do before I start to add weight? I can currently do 6 sets of 10 reps of body weight dips. On the 7th set I can only do 7 - 8. I was thinking about buying one of those belts that I can hang weight on. What do you guys think?

Cesar

I’d add weight if I were you. A belt would be best I suppose, but I hold dumbells with my feet when I do dips and chins.

Got_Beer?

[quote]CLozano wrote:
When should I start to add weight when I perform dips? Is there a good set/rep scheme that I should be able to do before I start to add weight? I can currently do 6 sets of 10 reps of body weight dips. On the 7th set I can only do 7 - 8. I was thinking about buying one of those belts that I can hang weight on. What do you guys think?

Cesar[/quote]

Cesar,

Add weight. Do a bodyweight warmup set or two, then add weight for the remaining sets.

I find holding a dumbell with my feet awkward, and I don’t have room in my gym bag for a dip belt. Instead, I carry a sturdy dress belt I don’t wear any more: I loop the dress belt through my regular weight belt and hang plates off the dress belt.

/Sully

Big. Old. Pissed off.

I don’t know others’ takes on this, and I won’t even say that I think I know what’s best.

My experience, however, is that I was able to do 70+ dips and 35+ pullups before I started adding weight. When I started with weight, I was already able to do a decent amount, so I can conclude that it didn’t hurt me too much.

I’m unable to say if I’d have progressed faster if I had started with weight earlier, but it’s entirely possible.

Take it for what it’s worth…

Well, as I can see, it all depends on your rep scheme. Bodyweight is just another weight. If you weigh two hundred lbs, and you can do your desired sets and reps, add 10 lbs and do a 210 lb dip. As far as target muscles go, it’s just like doing decline EZ-bar bench press (pretend this is a real exercise), so if you can do taht with your bodyweight (say 200 lbs), just add a 10 lb dumbbell for your next logical progression.

I don’t see what the problem is. But I’m new so I may be wrong…