T Nation

When to Add in Bands/Chains

Alright, I’m coming to the point where I feel as though I’ve got the strength to start adding in bands and chains on some of my lifts. I’ll be competing in my first PL meet in november (181 raw USAPL) and am trying to get as much strength out of the next 6 weeks as I can.

I’m on a modified 5/3/1 (I’ve added in CGP and some direct bicep/calf work) currently and am wondering if it’s time to move away from that and towards something more westside oriented.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Alright, I’m coming to the point where I feel as though I’ve got the strength to start adding in bands and chains on some of my lifts. I’ll be competing in my first PL meet in november (181 raw USAPL) and am trying to get as much strength out of the next 6 weeks as I can.

I’m on a modified 5/3/1 (I’ve added in CGP and some direct bicep/calf work) currently and am wondering if it’s time to move away from that and towards something more westside oriented.

[/quote]

i use bands as well as 5/3/1. i really like bands on squats and deads. they force you to keep your form tight and i like overloading the top end. when i go back to pulling or squatting straight weight i feel like i just explode up.

My biggest issue on my deadlift is my lockout. I’m great out of the start, but definitely having issues locking out. I suppose that would help (as well as upper back work).

My biggest issue on my deadlift is my lockout. I’m great out of the start, but definitely having issues locking out. I suppose that would help (as well as upper back work).[/quote]

bands would definitely help you with lockout. you can set them up reverse band style or regular. i bought the EFS band kit with all the different ones in them. i’m a big fan of doubling up the mini bands for deads. IMO, they give more of a gradual band tension unlike some of the heavier bands that just go “bam” there it is. i built a deadlift platform and put eye bolts on both sides to allow bands to be easily used. i have vids of both reverse and regular setup if you need a visual of how to set them up.

Well I don’t have pegs or bolts at the bottom of my rack sadly (commercial gym, but hey at least they have an actual decent cage). So if you’ve got ideas on how to set it up for both regular and reverse I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve got some mini bands and monster mini.

Well I don’t have pegs or bolts at the bottom of my rack sadly (commercial gym, but hey at least they have an actual decent cage). So if you’ve got ideas on how to set it up for both regular and reverse I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve got some mini bands and monster mini.[/quote]

if you have four 100lb plates you can loop the bands through the holes and cross the bands over the bar. they should be enough to keep the bands from moving.

reverse band is easier because you can choke them to the supports on the top of cage.

You can also try short bands for band work on deads. They are a little awkward in my book, but setup is easy and you don’t need any sort of platform or cage.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

Well I don’t have pegs or bolts at the bottom of my rack sadly (commercial gym, but hey at least they have an actual decent cage). So if you’ve got ideas on how to set it up for both regular and reverse I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve got some mini bands and monster mini.[/quote]

if you have four 100lb plates you can loop the bands through the holes and cross the bands over the bar. they should be enough to keep the bands from moving.

reverse band is easier because you can choke them to the supports on the top of cage.
[/quote]

My meet is Nov 20. Using my 5/3/1 template, would it be wise to limit the bands to the first and second weeks only?

Do reverse bands in the squat rack. Just loop the bands aroud the pins and place them as high as they need to go to give tension to the bar. That should work great for reverse bands. as far as pulling against bands I use the EFS mini bands and just stand on them.

I’m using 531 as well and I incorporate bands on my down sets for bench training. I’m getting ready to start using them for squats and deadlifts as well. I’ve had a lot of success with the bands for my bench press so I’m sure they will work just as well for squats an deadlifts.

You might be able to drape the bands over the bar, and step through them… that might be what DD is talking about. Lemme find a youtube video…

Bleh whatever, can’t find one.

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:
You might be able to drape the bands over the bar, and step through them… that might be what DD is talking about. Lemme find a youtube video…

Bleh whatever, can’t find one. [/quote]

Yeah, but you need short bands to do it. you thread them on the bar before you put plates on it.

Thanks for the video, definitely insightful.

Thoughts on using bands for my week 1 and 2 in 5/3/1 (the 5 and 3 week) with the same weight that’s currently listed. Bands would be set up from the bottom of the cage.

The biggest things I need work on right now before this meet are my lockout on deadlift, coming out of the hole on squat, and grip strength. I’m hoping bands will help with all of these, if you’ve got more input on any feel free to let me know.

Don’t neglect band work on your bench press. They will greatly aid in developing coordination, and add a significant amount of resistance at the top of the press (depending on the strength of the band of course). Use bands for speed work as well. Sometimes as powerlifters we’re too focused on just moving lots of weight, and forget that force also requires speed. I’ve incorporated speed presses with bands on military press day in order to aid in my bench. Give it a shot.

I won’t be neglecting them on my bench.

I’m currently using both bands and chains in my training.

Bands on Deadlifts only.
Chains on Squats and Bench.

How ever you put it together, make sure to keep the reps low (2-4 range) b/c the stress on your joints in wicked high with these additions.

I typically work up to a prescribed weight with my three lifts, then strip off some weight and do a few speed sets after I hit the heavy number I wanted to that day.

The one time I have had to ‘jerry-rig’ bands for deadlifts, this is what I did.
Using long bands btw.

Using the bottom of the rack, I slid it under between the metal and the floor and then looped it back into itself. This puts all the tension (depending on your height) at the top which will work out well for you b/c that’s where you said you were weak.

If you are 6 weeks out, I’d say hit it hard with these tools for the next 3 weeks, then taper off your assitance work and lose the bands/chains and focus on form and speed.

Good luck!

I’m 8 weeks out. I’m going to add in bands/chains for the next 4 weeks, take them out for a week, then up the weight and start getting in some heavy singles/triples close to my max and then a one week taper before the meet.

Alright adding in bands to bench and squat this week. My cage has pegs at the bottom so I can add it to squat/deadlift easy enough but I hate deadlifting in the cage since it’s so wide that I have to make sure I come down very carefully or I’ll land on the cage (there’s about an inch of clearance between the plates and the cage).

I’ll be sticking with kroc rows for lockout strength. I’ll be doing them with fat grips (after hitting a top set) to help my grip out a bit as I’m getting to the realm of my grip failing.

Never. Unless you want to get weak.

Jason

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:
Never. Unless you want to get weak.

Jason[/quote]

Please elaborate?