When Someone Says, "I'm too Old for Fitness"

She has a permit for not exercising

4 Likes

Get off the internet and go read a book.

How do you feel when a Mormon knocks on your door?

2 Likes

This is silly.

1 Like

She doesn’t need one and if she does have one she probably doesn’t want to tell you because she is wise enough to understand that the likelihood of you accepting it and moving on is non-existent and the likelihood that it will lead to the bullshit we see here is almost certain.

1 Like

I feel fine. What’s your point?

1 Like

There’s a chance that she was just never into sports or fitness in general, which seems like a reasonable reason. I love lifting, but when I’m in my fifties and someone suggests that I start doing something in an area that I was never interested in, I’ll probably think of an excuse that’s perceived as completely weak.

I agree with you that everyone should exercise, but the reality (which other people are pointing out) is that people who don’t generally have their reasons for it. Also, not to get too off-topic, but what really annoys me is when young people don’t exercise. Older people seem to have more legitimate reasons (medical conditions, work, family, etc) than younger people do.

A lot of my frustration with it is that Americans are kind of the laughing stock of the world when it comes to the health of the average citizen. An amazing first world country that has the most overweight people per capita out of every country in the world. Or something like that lol. So when a college-aged person such as myself says they don’t exercise in some capacity, it just boggles my mind. I don’t know where I’m going with this so my rant is over now

Oh boy! We should go fishing! I love fly fishing. I can have you fully outfitted and ready to slay some salmon in no time at all. Its very relaxing and stress is a big killer, so there’s really no legitimate reason to say no.

3 Likes

I know, it’s tragic when young people don’t exercise. Time constraints is a common roadblock people have. If only there was a way they could get a sufficient exercise dosage in 30 minutes a week. The thing is though, there is, they just don’t know about it yet. If 30 minutes is too long for someone, then they must have spread their child support seed too much or they give netflix a higher priority than exercising their one body.

1 Like

The trick is finding something she liked doing in the past eg tennis, ice skating, swimming, hiking etc and get her to start doing that again. Then you could increase the workload, or variety. Small steps.
Suggesting anything that she thinks is hard work, rather than enjoyable is going to be confronting and counterproductive.

Yeah, almost everyone has a physical activity they like. Exercise and greater strength makes those more enjoyable. It is hard work, but it makes you feel great. And DOMS

What she is doing is removing any sense of responsibility she would have for staying in shape.

If she realized that her age really isnt whats holding her back, she would have to accept that she’s lazy and doesn’t care about herself enough to go to the gym. And here comes that crummy guilty feeling.

But nope, she’s too old…that feels just right

1 Like

Here you finally get it. People have different priorities.

Every Mormon knows you need to be saved.

1 Like

It is a fact beyond dispute that, ceteris paribus, people who engage in moderately-intense exercise for ~150 minutes/week live longer, healthier lives than those who don’t. So it’s perfectly reasonable to suggest that, if living longer and healthier are desiderata for a given individual, they should exercise.

As for whether it is socially appropriate for one individual to confront another in this regard, that of course depends entirely on the circumstances of the situation.

3 Likes

Ha, I was just waiting until the end of the tread to trot out my fly fishing guide friend and her ongoing efforts to convince me that no one could possibly fail to enjoy and benefit from fly fishing once they tried it. She also desperately wants me to go to her annual cancer survivors weekend, where they fly fish in celebration of life. At this point I’m just like, “no,” but at the beginning I offered “excuses” like “I’m too hyper for fly fishing.” She was probably blowing up the internet saying things like “that’s one of the dumbest excuses I’ve ever heard” and “why would someone make such a lousy excuse?”

I should start demanding she run with me.

2 Likes

The issue you people are running into is that you have friends, and that’s why people keep trying to convince you to do things they enjoy.

Once you become a complete misanthrope, people leave you alone and don’t want you to have any joy in life. SO worth it.

5 Likes

I think you should apply your first paragraph to the second and third paragraphs and not worry about our status internationally. Laughing stock of the world? Maybe. But if so it’s because we Americans have created global access to information, allowing the world a peek into our home lives. Balanced thinking is as important as exercise.

I have some pangs of guilt about never using the wonderfully crafted fly rod my uncle both made and gave to me. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I just catch more fish with a bobber and i only like fishing in small doses to begin with.

What I don’t understand is why everyone doesn’t train Brazilian jiu jitsu. The health and mental benefits are tremendous, just yooooge. Most people don’t even have a plan for the next double leg takedown they get hit with out on the streets. I guess they don’t care if they get put in a Kimura and then choked out. I mean what’s the worst that could happen?

Oh yeah. You could DIE! No big deal I’ll just go lift some weights like a fool.

1 Like