T Nation

When Should I Clean?

Should power cleans and snatches be performed on an upper or lower day when doing an upper/lower split?

Thanks.

When should you clean? When you can’t see your shoes for the dust! Sorry couldn’t resist, :slight_smile:

Guess it depends where you feel them the most… I stack power/hang cleans with overhead pressing on my light upper body days since they are a back dominant movement for me (and because I get the weight to a better pressing position from a clean than by picking it up from the rack).

Can’t really mix them with heavy deadlifts/squats because you’r CNS generally tends to be shot when you get to them and form will become corrupt. If you choose to do them before attempting heavy lower body lifts then it’s usually going to take something out of those.

This is of course all relative to weight/reps/sets used.

Edit: Same could be said about it’s effect on upper body lifts as well, but I feel that recovery from those is a lot less important when it comes to being able to perform cleans properly. However I still wouldn’t try cleans after (or especially before) heavy benching for example because of the core tightness it requires… hell I have gotten some of the best back smarts from benching.

Your mum says so?

Oh shit you meant something different…

both are more full body lifts then just upper or lower, but if you HAD to choose, I would say lower.

Well, my upper body needs a lot more volume than my lower body, so it works out well for me becuase my split is actually
upper body pressing/lower body and back so i just throw them in after RE/DE squats

Do them before your squats, not after, otherwise you’ll lose some of the explosiveness and start hauling the bar up with your arms. When you get to your squats you’ll be well warmed up and can jump right in with fewer warmup sets. Stick to no more than 3 reps per set too.

My Snatch is Clean you Jerk!

Cleans and snatches come before anything else (squats, deads, whatever). Reason is they’re too technique dependent and require too much neuromuscular coordination to be done after anything.

[quote]StonesAreFun wrote:
Cleans and snatches come before anything else (squats, deads, whatever). Reason is they’re too technique dependent and require too much neuromuscular coordination to be done after anything.[/quote]

This is correct. Also, if you want to get strong at them I’d pop them in the beginning of every session because they are very CNS/coordination specific lift. Keep the reps low and the sets around 7-10.

Or do the Sn on upper body days and the Cl&Jk on lower body days.

Instead of upper/lower days I only have Snatch, Clean or conditioning days. makes thinking about all this shit much easier.

-chris

My routine:
Monday:
Boxsquat
DE/RE bench press
full cleans
DB rows

Wednesday:
deads
calves

Thursday:
MEbench press
military press
Incline db press
chins
db rows

Friday:
snatch
squat
jerks

This was the best way I found for me to train my powerlifting lifts and oly lifts. I’ve found boxsquatting doesn’t affect my clean as much as normal squatting does.