When Progress Has Halted?

Hey Guys…

I am a T-magger from a while back several years ago…I have a question…I am an ex Powerlifter a few years back I was a decent body size and bf% for my frame and muscle…at least from a powerlifters standpoint(5’11 245-250 at about 14% bf)…Flashforward to today…

I went on hiatus for a few years with my eating and training and balooned up to 320-330…still maintained most of my strength in my lifts despite lack of training…which is good…

After being fed up being at that new weight and all the problems it has caused…sleep apnea being one of them…I got fed up back in Nov 2005 and lost about 30 lbs and kept about 15 of it off for good (depsite being compleyley sedentary after sinus/tonsil surgery for 2 weeks I gained that 15 lbs back …I really kept 32 lbs off for good after last nov till Jan…but gained back 15 to put me around 318 or so about a month and half ago…

About a month and a half ago I was resting at 318 and I started cleaning up my eating and hitting the weights 3 times a week followed up by cardio for 15 mins or so postworkout each time…and 15 mins on off days 1-2 times a week…

I cleaned up alot of my eating eating alot of protein packed salads with either chicken breast or lean steak on them and protein bars and shakes (shakes mainly post workout) I also have been eating alot of beans (kidney mainly) cause its a good source of fiber and protein…and inexpensive…

I have dropped down to about 304 now and have been stuck there for about a little more than a week…and I am not sure as to up the cals and up the cardio or what to do to break out of a plateau…I must say also I have not been measuring my bf percentage cause truthfully…I have a little too much now to use calipers…and I need to start doing measurements to get a more complete picture of what is going on…

Any ideas on what to do to break thru a plateau in weight loss?

Get a fitday account and actually measure how many calories you are taking in. You may be shocked. Even clean calories add up.

If absolute weight loss is your goal, then a drastic reduction of calories is going to result in weight loss. The refeeds will help once you are down to a pretty low BF%.

Until then, check your weight account like you would a checking account. All you take in (Calories) - (your BMR + your extra expenditure) OVER TIME will result in weight loss.

There are gurus all over the place that will help you tweak what you do in different ways, but I can’t think of one that will not have you measure your calories and create a caloric deficit.

There have been studies of people actually gaining lean tissue weight (newbies) while on an ultra low diet. I say dump the excess weight as comfortably fast and safe as you can, then worry about gaining back lean tissue slow and sensibly. You can trick your body into newbie like gains later.