When Keepin it Real Goes Right

I am starting this log with the primary goal of recording and tracking my progress.

Brief Background:
-23 years old, 5’11", currently around 176 lbs in the morning
-Ran cross country and track during high school. Personal bests included 4:36 for the mile, 9:42 for the 2 mile, 16:10 for 5K, and 53:01 for 15K.
-Continued running on my own as a freshman in college. I started lifting during this time, and ran a few months of Starting Strength during the Spring semester.
-Personally, I loved SS. I was incredibly weak and small as an 18/19 year old freshman (5’11"/140 lbs). The program taught me proper form on the main lifts and emphasized putting weight on the bar and eating. All of these things were beneficial to me.
-Unfortunately, I have done a number of programs since then. I would not say that I am a “program hopper” but I have experimented. 5/3/1, some KingBeef programs, CnP methodologies, etc.
-Currently getting back to the basics, focusing on improving the main lifts above all else. I train four days a week, using an Upper/Lower split.

Best lifts:
-Bench: 250 (1rm), 205 (36)
-Squat: 320 (1rm), 270 (3
6)
-Deadlift: 415 (1rm), 350 (3*6)

Let’s get it.

1/27/2014 - Lower Body Strength

Squats:
-3*6 with 265

Deads:
-2*6 with 345

Took last week off of weight training because the gym was closed the entire week while they moved equipment around. I wasn’t that upset though because the newly renovated weight room is nice. Of note is the addition of 2 or 3 more racks with platforms. Anyways, all I did last week was run some sprints and some light stuff with my friend’s rusty barbell. That being said, I felt ok while warming up for squats, and probably went a little heavier than I should have. Form felt a little off for both lifts. Weight shifted forward a little bit on squats, and the bar got out in front of me on a couple of reps for deads (didn’t help that the AC wasn’t on yet in the new gym, air was stuffy, and I was sweating my ass off). Plan on sticking with this weight next week and getting my form back to where it normally is before bumping the weight up.

1/28/2014 - Upper Body Strength

Bench:
3*6 @ 200

DB Rows:
28 per arm @ 100 lbs
13 per arm @ 100

Standing DB press:
1*6 @ 50

Alternating DB curls:
1*8 @ 45

Barbell curls:
empty bar for one set of 40

Face pulls:
3 sets of 30, 25, 25

Stretchers:
3 sets of 15, 15, 9

Notes:
Bench felt pretty heavy, but I expected this after yesterday and didn’t miss any reps. For the first two sets of DB rows I tried to really feel my lats and held each rep for a slight pause at the top. On the last set, I tried to go for max reps with less emphasis on form. There is definitely plenty of room to improve here. I should note that I generally do DB rows with a dead stop, although I did most of the reps of the last set with continuous tension.

For DB press and curls, I usually do 3-4 sets, but I want to see how I do on just one peak set for these exercises. That being said, I had to get my pump on, so I tried Paul Carter’s 100 rep set for barbell curls. Unfortunately, it became dhock’s 40 rep set, but this also leaves me plenty of room for improvement. Face pulls were performed with a pause at peak contraction. I also threw in some ab wheel at the end. I do these standing, rolling the wheel onto a decline sit-up bench. Trying to get to the point where I can do them standing on flat ground.

I will probably post an outline of my goals either tonight or tomorrow. I want to give this a fair shot as far as outlining a long-term plan. I know what I want to achieve but have never mapped it all out as so many recommend.

Best log name here. You running a Candito routine?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Best log name here. You running a Candito routine?[/quote]

I keeps it real! Thanks for stopping by, man. Yes, good call, I’m running what Candito calls his “Strength/Control Linear Program.” Second half of the week consists mostly of pause variations.

[quote]dhock wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I keeps it real! Thanks for stopping by, man. Yes, good call, I’m running what Candito calls his “Strength/Control Linear Program.” Second half of the week consists mostly of pause variations.[/quote]

They shoulda never gave you ni&&as money! Yeah, I’ve seen a few of his vids. Kid’s strong as an ox, but his voice irritates the shit outta me. He also kinda looks like a live action Milhouse, so he’s got that going for him.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]dhock wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I keeps it real! Thanks for stopping by, man. Yes, good call, I’m running what Candito calls his “Strength/Control Linear Program.” Second half of the week consists mostly of pause variations.[/quote]

They shoulda never gave you ni&&as money! Yeah, I’ve seen a few of his vids. Kid’s strong as an ox, but his voice irritates the shit outta me. He also kinda looks like a live action Milhouse, so he’s got that going for him.[/quote]

Dude, that’s hilarious about his voice and appearance. I remember being seriously annoyed when I first heard his voice too. Nevertheless, I kept watching and, like you said, he’s strong as hell.

1/29/2014 - Yoga (yes, yoga)

Ended up working out late on account of life. I’m not the stiffest guy in the world, but I’m definitely not limber. That being said, I have recently started doing yoga about once a week, as well as racking up some time in a third world squat position every day.

Last year, I convinced my girlfriend that working out could be more productive and fun than just running. Somewhat surprisingly she bought in completely and her routine consisted of 3 days a week of lifting and 3 days a week of yoga/cardio. To make a long story short, she convinced me to do yoga with her one day, and it whooped my ass. This particular instructor, Kim Wilson (link above), is a crazy ginger with a great body, and her workouts (or “practices”) are a nice blend of stretching and core work/body alignment.

1/30/2014 - Control Lower Body

Pause Squats:
6*4 @ 245

Pause Deads:
3*4 @ 320

Hack Squat/Seated Calf Raise superset:
10 reps/15 reps
10/13
10/10

Pause squats felt pretty damn good. Form was solid. Deads are done with a pause immediately after breaking off the floor. These felt good as well, although second and third sets were better than the first because I set my hips slightly higher. I seem to be able to recruit my glutes more effectively with this higher hip position. I usually leave after squats and deads, but I decided to do the above superset. Hacks were done rock bottom with continuous tension, and the calf raises were done with a pause at the top and bottom of the range of motion. Am I the only one whose feet start burning while doing calves? Overall, good workout.

1/31/2014 - Control Upper

Spoto press

6*4 @ 195
Also did a double with 225 before my work sets because I felt like it.

DB rows

set of 4 with 105, paused at top
4*4 with 110s, paused at top
set of 8 with 110

standing DB press
1*11 with 45s

Curls
DB - 1*12 with 45s
BB - 45 reps with empty bar

3 sets of high rep facepulls followed by 3 sets of stretchers

Legs are pretty sore, likely due to taking a week off and doing hack squats for the first time in a while.

2/3/2014 - Lower Strength

Squats
3*6 @ 265

Deads

1*3 @ 345

This workout sucked. Squats were difficult and required a good amount of grinding. The air was still not functional in the gym, and I was sweating my ass off (along with everyone in there). While this didn’t help my grip, it wasn’t the reason I struggled. I went out drinking Friday and Sunday (Super Bowl bruh) and didn’t eat well/enough. It happens, but if I want my damn squat to move I need to take care of my body.

2/4/2014 - Upper Strength

Bench
3*6 @ 205

DB Row
28 @ 100 w/ pause
15 @ 100

Standing DB Press
1*7 @ 55

DB Cheat Curl
1*6 @ 55

BB Curl
50 reps with empty bar

3 sets of facepulls followed by 3 sets of pulldowns

Much better. Ate right, slept right, worked out right. Bench felt good, as did rows. I am happy with the shoulder press PR, although I had been doing them seated for a while so this is not altogether surprising. High rep BB curls are tough, but I like em. I will be studying my ass off from now until next Thursday (the 13th), only breaking for workouts and class.

2/5/2014

yoga. first time i felt like i was getting better at this and it was paying off.

2/6/2014

played tennis for about 2-2 1/2 hours cus we had doubles going and the weather was perfect

2/7/2014 - Control Lower

Pause squats
6*4 @ 250 (PR)

Pause deads
3*4 @ 325 (PR)

2 supersets of hacks and glute hams (BW)

Squats and deads felt pretty good today. I am slowly making progress with my hips. In the bottom position of the squat and while setting up for deads I felt my hip flexors engage properly. When this happened, I noticed my glutes fired better as well.

Party on

2/8/2014 - Control Upper

Spoto press
6*4 @ 200 (PR)

DB Rows
54 @ 110 with pause

Standing DB Press
1*9 with 50s

DB curls
1*12 with 50s

BB curl
55 reps with empty bar

3 sets each of facepulls and pulldowns

Good workout. Last rep of last set of spoto press was tough, will definitely be using this weight again next week. Lost count during bb curls so it’s either 45 or 55 reps, but i’m almost positive it was 55. I don’t use straps these days so after rows, curls, and high rep facepulls followed by pulldowns my forearms are extremely pumped. I could use straps, and have in the past, but I actually like it.

2/9/2014 - Yoga

Really starting to enjoy this. Will likely continue doing this twice a week, as I feel the benefits to my lifting are becoming very apparent.

2/10/2014 - Strength Lower

Squats
3*6 @ 275 (PR)

Deads
16 @ 350
2 @ 350

I felt great today as I was warming up to squat. My plan was to again stick with 265, but I felt good and decided to go for a PR. Working on my hips with yoga has allowed me to hit depth and keep a more natural groove.

Deadlifts were not so successful. I believe this is partially due to the squat PR, and partially because I need to reset this lift, which I will do next week. I should have reset this week after last weeks horrible performance, but I was feeling confident after squats so I actually upped the weight from last week and tried to match my best ever performance. I also rushed into the second set somewhat so there is that as well. Slightly frustrating, but I am overall very happy with my squat.

I need to remember to not be greedy. This refers to my deadlift this week as well as next week’s session.

What kind of yoga are you doin’? Tried bikram twice and loved it. Need to sucker my way in there at least twice a month.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
What kind of yoga are you doin’? Tried bikram twice and loved it. Need to sucker my way in there at least twice a month. [/quote]

I’m not exactly sure, the videos I do online call it “yoga/pilates fusion.” I think they call it that because a lot of it is about engaging your abs/obliques and breathing correctly. I have myself convinced that it is also giving me some form of cardio, which I pretty much neglect outside of the occasional sprints/basketball/tennis. I sweat buckets doing this stuff.

Gotta admit that I have been curious about the different forms of yoga since I’ve gotten into it. I really don’t know much about it but I’ve been meaning to branch out and try some different stuff.

[quote]dhock wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
What kind of yoga are you doin’? Tried bikram twice and loved it. Need to sucker my way in there at least twice a month. [/quote]

I’m not exactly sure, the videos I do online call it “yoga/pilates fusion.” I think they call it that because a lot of it is about engaging your abs/obliques and breathing correctly. I have myself convinced that it is also giving me some form of cardio, which I pretty much neglect outside of the occasional sprints/basketball/tennis. I sweat buckets doing this stuff.

Gotta admit that I have been curious about the different forms of yoga since I’ve gotten into it. I really don’t know much about it but I’ve been meaning to branch out and try some different stuff.[/quote]

I’ll check that out. Bikram (might be an “h” in there) is awesome. It’s 1.5 hours in a hot room (temp has to be around a hundo) where you do poses, static holds, stretches and breathing, all while sweating your ass off. Both times I’ve done it I felt like new money walking out. Check around for studios in your area. Sometimes they have deals, like first time for 10 bucks. Definitely worth it.

WhiteFlash: I’ll look into Bikram. I’m pretty sure there are a number of studios around where I live. This girl I know is actually an instructor and has tried to get me to come to a class. She also said she was gonna use me as demonstration, so I haven’t gone yet because I’m afraid I’ll get a boner.

2/11/2014 - Strength Upper

Bench
3*6 @ 210 (PR)

DB Row
28 @ 100 w/ pause at peak contraction
15 @ 100

Standing DB press
1*5 @ 60s

DB cheat curl
1*7 @ 55s

BB curl
1 set of 60 with the bar

3 sets of facepulls then 3 sets of pulldowns

Notes:
Warm ups felt great on bench so I went for it and the PR was there. I should note that I do these sets by pausing the first rep then touch and go from there. I had been pausing all reps for 4-5 months before this so my touch and go reps are controlled. I actually did not pause the first rep of the last set however. First two sets of DB rows were more controlled than last week, but the last couple reps of the AMRAP set were (like last week) pretty sloppy.

2/17/2014 - Lower

Squats:
5*5 @ 225

Deads:
4*5 @ 315

3 supersets of seated leg curls and leg press calf raises.

Last week, while studying for my marathon exam schedule, I set PRs in both squats and bench. After my last exam I partied and proceeded to not take care of myself for most of the weekend. Can’t do anything to change that now, nor would I. That being said, I knew the weights would feel heavy today, so I decided to go light and apply the Compensatory Acceleration Training principle. I have Paul Carter’s Base Building Method on e-book and this is his primary method for improving his lifts. I will talk more about this in the subsequent goal post.