When Is It Time To Grow Up?

[quote]Hagar wrote:
duece wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Living your life according to someone else’s philosophy could be the greatest mistake anyone could make.

It could also be the best choice. Depends on the philosophy, not all are equal. For example, I’ve known lots of people who were alcoholics and drugies, the ones that adopted some one else’s philosophy (AA, religion) and showed humility got better and happier. The one’s that didn’t, never got better. [/quote]

As long as you are taking single sentences out of context of everything else written, maybe you should also add in:

[quote]As long as you are progressing in a positive direction and working hard towards a goal, why should anyone think they need to “grow up” by anyone else’s standards?
[/quote]

Would alcoholics and drug addicts fall into the “positive direction” category?

We all have to live a life that is right for each and every one of us. Not for what sounds right or what others want for us.

Ready or Not, Here Comes Life by Mel Levine, MD is a good book. Check it out at your local library.

I like this answer! Have fun man be happy do what you feel

[quote]Sliver wrote:
whenever you bloody feel like it. Hows that sound?[/quote]

There’s no such thing as maturity, just age.

Do not let your age make you rush into marriage, think about it when is the last time a married friend of yours told you, you gotta get married it’s the best thing ever, um never.

My married buddies bitch all the time, the only reason they stay married is for the kids.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
There’s no such thing as maturity, just age.[/quote]

If you still laugh at fart jokes after highschool you are inmature.

[quote]orion wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
There’s no such thing as maturity, just age.

If you still laugh at fart jokes after highschool you are inmature.[/quote]

…or humorless and boring.

[quote]mtjmtj wrote:
Do not let your age make you rush into marriage, think about it when is the last time a married friend of yours told you, you gotta get married it’s the best thing ever, um never.

My married buddies bitch all the time, the only reason they stay married is for the kids.[/quote]

What I get from many of them is, “don’t get married, man.”

I have this problem at 20, fuck I don’t want to ponder this for the rest of my lonely existence. It’s time to do something about it. Has an epiphany

Thanks guys. So what your telling me is? DON’T get married? DON’T have kids? DON’T start a career? But DO know every new game system spec/tech feature? DO wear a condom? and… Is there anything I’m missing?

Yo fuck that… If your not happy with the course that you life has taken then do something about it. You want wealth? Go get it… Pussy? It’s out there… Pitty? Yea, no problem finding that… Attention? Here…

Here, take this word of the day… InteGRITy

Fuck you very much,
World Peace

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I know some very immature people who got married early. One of them, only 22 now, is getting a divorce…and has three kids…and has no education…and is getting out of the military. Maturity has jack shit to do with getting married.

In my clinic alone I know of three people who have gotten divorced in the last 2 years and two others who seem to be headed in that direction. Needless to say, I’m glad I don’t have that drama in my life right now. As long as you are progressing in a positive direction and working hard towards a goal, why should anyone think they need to “grow up” by anyone else’s standards?

I have no intentions of growing up…at least as far as what that traditionally means as far as “priorities” or mentality. I am glad I worked my ass off to get to a certain place career-wise long before I worried about kids and a family. I know a ton of people who had kids early, even before they ever even graduated high school, and life doesn’t seem to be all roses for them.

Living your life according to someone else’s philosophy could be the greatest mistake anyone could make. Not knowing when you are truly ready for certain responsibilities would be another.[/quote]

great post.

you need to stand up, not “grow up”.

my uncle tom lays it down in this vid.

Don’t worry about it. You are actually not that far out of the norm for today’s 29 year old. “Kids” are staying at home with mom and dad until their mid twenties or later.

25 today is the 15 year old of past generations.

You are worrying needlessly. Look around, you’ll find that your generation is more in line with you than you realize.

Actually, nobody really cares what you do with your life when you get right down to it. If some girl you are “making out with” in your car at 29 thinks you are heading down the wrong path, just take her to her parents house, drop her off and don’t ask her out again or help her with her homework when she asks.

You don’t ever have to “grow up”. Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. Hell, in this great country you can live like a 12 year old until the day you die, and more and more you’ll fit right in.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
Don’t worry about it. You are actually not that far out of the norm for today’s 29 year old. “Kids” are staying at home with mom and dad until their mid twenties or later.
[/quote]

Thanks but that’s not my situation.
I moved out when I was 20.
I always supported myself without the help of my parents.
So I am not that kinda guy.
…but still I’m living a bit like a kid in some ways while most of my friends are settling down

dude, who cares what others are doing? it is their gig. you got your own.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
I have this problem at 20, fuck I don’t want to ponder this for the rest of my lonely existence. It’s time to do something about it. Has an epiphany

Thanks guys. So what your telling me is? DON’T get married? DON’T have kids? DON’T start a career? But DO know every new game system spec/tech feature? DO wear a condom? and… Is there anything I’m missing?

Yo fuck that… If your not happy with the course that you life has taken then do something about it. You want wealth? Go get it… Pussy? It’s out there… Pitty? Yea, no problem finding that… Attention? Here…

Here, take this word of the day… InteGRITy

Fuck you very much,
World Peace[/quote]

Who told anyone to avoid a career? What does getting married have to do with being responsible? What does having kids have to do with being successful?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

What does having kids have to do with being successful?[/quote]

Plenty… as a negative correlation.

[quote]mtjmtj wrote:

My married buddies bitch all the time, the only reason they stay married is for the kids.[/quote]

Well, allow me. I’m married with kids and I think it’s the greatest thing in the world. Kids will show you the most beautiful, joyful moments in your life. The feeling you get from opening your front door and having two small kids sprint madly towards you while screaming “daddyyyyyyy!” is something that never gets old.

I did live 12 years with my wife before we decide to have kids. Gave us the time to do all the stuff (travel, party) that’s much harder to do with kids, especially when they’re very young.

But I wouldn’t try to convince someone who’s happy being a bachelor to change his life. There’s no single answer to “what’s the best thing?” who’ll fit everyone.

Nephorm’s right; don’t forget to plan ahead for the future; but otherwise, if you’re living a happy life, why change anything?

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
What does having kids have to do with being successful?

I guess that depends on how you define success. I’ve personally known two financially successful people who are quite miserable aside from their work. They both spent their entire lives making money and not much else.

I think success can be had in many ways. Personally I wouldn’t feel successful if I had not married the woman I did and had three great kids with her.

Some get off on making money and that makes them feel successful. I’ve made money as well in my life, but that pales in the face of having a wife and kids.

But that’s just me. [/quote]

I didn’t write that success was in direct correlation with being financially wealthy. I went to school. I have career. I chose the military over getting paid more on the outside for several reasons that I won’t be going into. One of those reasons, however, was to simply gain more experience in my field. I did that. I am happy I did. I don’t define my life by my wallet.

I was never raised to see that as the epitome of success. That would involve helping other people I was in a position to have a positive effect on. While having kids and being married may make you very happy, don’t assume that the rest of the world needs to follow suit to be happy with what they have accomplished simply because they focus on their own position in life.

I also know I would much rather be in the situation I am in currently and consider a family than rushed into it years earlier simply because others seem to think it is the epitome of achievement in life.

There are far too many people having kids and getting divorced (if they get married first at all) to even think of such a thing.

And, what is that saying…“love doesn’t pay the bills”? It is great to make statements of how little money matters, but in reality, that alone has ended more relationships than anything else.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
There’s no such thing as maturity, just age.[/quote]

wrong