When is a Beginner Not a Beginner?

Just out of interest, what kinda lifts would you attribute to an intermediate level lifter?

I’m 186lbs (84kg) at 5 10, heres some lifts:

Dead - 150kg x 1 (chasing a 2x bw)
Squat 115kg x1
Bench - 80kg x 2 (struggle with bench)
Clean+Push press - 70kg x 1
WG dead stop pull ups - 5 reps with no added weight.

The machine in my gym says im at 15% bodyfat. I’d like to be below 10 (just an arbitrary goal since im training mostly for asthetic reasons)

I was aiming for 2xbw deads, 1.5xbw squats, 1xbw bench, 10 wg pull ups before i allowed myself to think of myself as anything but a begginner haha.

…I think this post is largely pointless. Ah well i’ve typed the bastard now, so have at it.

youll find a million tables like those and then a million people give you their opinion on it and youll end up with millions of different answers.
whether or not someone is a “beginner” at something or not cant be answered that easily. truth is, it doesnt really matter and what youve typed up is a good guideline to stick to.

in the end, everybody has their own opinion and you know what they say about opinions and assholes…

When you need a week to recover from a workout, you’re an intermediate. I don’t mean totally recovery, but let’s say you train chest and it takes a full week to be back up to strength.

When you need 2 weeks or more, you’re advanced.

If you can train 2x a week on the same lift/group of muscles and add weight every time you train, you’re still a beginner.

[quote]Samir wrote:
When you need a week to recover from a workout, you’re an intermediate. I don’t mean totally recovery, but let’s say you train chest and it takes a full week to be back up to strength.

If you can train 2x a week on the same lift/group of muscles and add weight every time you train, you’re still a beginner. [/quote]

That’s a pretty handy rule. Not sure how useful it is to know if you’re a “beginner” “intermediate” or “advanced” though.

I’ve never seen someone who is advanced on this board recommend training a body part only twice a month?

If anything I figured you can train more frequently as you get more advanced. Not adding weight every workout though.

There are many standards, mine are you are not intermediate until you have atleast a 2X bodyweight squat, a 2.5 X body weight deadlift, a 1.5 X body weigh benchpress, and a bodyweight overhead press. (without using momentum or bending your back) You are an intermediate when you need a light day in between the week, advanced when you need 2+ weeks to progress.

[quote]chamelious wrote:
Just out of interest, what kinda lifts would you attribute to an intermediate level lifter?[/quote]

It’s nothing quantifiable…it’s about attitude and maturity in your training.

[quote]Samir wrote:

If you can train 2x a week on the same lift/group of muscles and add weight every time you train, you’re still a beginner. [/quote]

I disagree. As I have got more advanced I have found ways to train more frequently and still recover. I would say an intermediate/advanced lifter status is obtained when the person knows their body well enough to train optimally for certain goals.

I think you stop being a beginner when you stop worrying about whether you’re a beginner or not. People focus too much on things that don’t matter like that.

[quote]Samir wrote:

^^This^^ is ridiculous.

[quote]EveryLastingScar wrote:
I think you stop being a beginner when you stop worrying about whether you’re a beginner or not. People focus too much on things that don’t matter like that.[/quote]

I’m not focusing on it, i was just bored at work and thought the discussion might be interesting.

[quote]chamelious wrote:

I’m not focusing on it, i was just bored at work and thought the discussion might be interesting.[/quote]

its been discussed 100 times and unsurprisingly it turns out that its boring as fuck :confused: