When in Full Guard

when in full guard and the guy on top of you is posting up but with his legs behind him(cant hook his leg) and he puts his forearm on your throat what can you do beside working for a side choke?

Can’t hook his legs? is the guy 7’2? Or are you high enough to pull rubber guard?

Anyway…

when you go for a head and arm choke SLAP the arm to the side TWO OR THREE times not just push it to the side or try once. Explanation should be obvious if after you try it and it works.

Open your guard, go to butterfly, work for sweeps. Use your under/over hooks

open your guard, hip out, climb up his torso to higher guard, work for sub. use your under/over hooks

open your guard, hip out, go 1/2 guard, various sweeps available, use under/over hooks.

Kimura.

going to his back is option from all these positions… point is sounds like you just need to open your guard and play a little more.

think of it this way, if someone’s using all their crushing force to direct their energy in one direction they aren’t stable anywhere else. Their energy is going in one direction so you can attack them from everywhere else… feel where his energy is and his weakness is everywhere else.

I think you need to start controlling your opponent WAY before you get to that point, hand fighting, and wrist control should be a high priority. Gettin IN that position means he’s just barreling through your guard.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Can’t hook his legs? is the guy 7’2? Or are you high enough to pull rubber guard?
[/quote]

This isn’t a rare occurrence at all and has nothing to do with height. If you aren’t grappling with people who keep their feet too far back for you to cup when in your guard then your competition is very weak. Royler Gracie’s system stresses keeping your distance from the opponent’s reach when standing up in his guard just as much as anything else. If this wasn’t stressed, the person with guard would sweep every time.

Anyways, my two cents:

Obviously, as soon as you pull guard you need to bring your opponent’s posture down and hold him down, from there working for submissions. However, let’s say your opponent breaks free and tries to pass by standing.

As soon as an opponent posts with one foot, let’s say his left, you obviously want to try to cup that foot with your right hand, but when you can’t, open your guard. You don’t want to be the kind of person who gets picked up and slammed (illegal in BJJ but I don’t know if you do MMA) because you refuse to open your guard until it’s too late. Keep your legs glued to your opponent’s side at first, so he doesn’t know you’ve opened. I would then suggest posting on his opposite hip with your left leg, and working to control his right triceps with your right hand and his right wrist with your left (like you do to set up some arm locks).

This should give you a decent control over him. From here, I know some people that like to kick his left leg’s base out with their right foot in an explosive movement, or they’ll post their right foot on his knee and push away. Just be careful, he will be trying to pass your guard so your legs must stay moving. This should keep your opponent too occupied to attempt a weak forearm choke. Remember, you don’t have to be going for a submission to be on the offensive. Breaking your opponent down is an important process and being defensive is oftentimes part of it. From here, you can work your guard submissions, or as Xen Nova said transfer to 1/2 guard for some sweeps. I would recommend staying in guard, though, because half guard sweeps are risky with bigger opponent’s because their entire weight is on you making the whip-up process difficult.

An example of what to do from where I left off in guard is the triangle motion. Try to swim his right hand into the total control of your left and work for wrist control over his left with your right hand. Try to clear the arm for the triangle (or what appears to be the triangle) and if you get there use your posted left leg to hip out and pull your opponent’s posture down with your right leg behind his neck. This requires no hands, and from here you can double team his right arm with both of your hands to pull him down even further and finish the triangle.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend trying to kimura a standing opponent. The shifting of your hips can sacrifice your whole guard and give your opponent an easy transition to across-side.

yeah u guys got some good advice,i just do BJJ at the moment and i think you guys hit the nail on the head with wrist control.
thanks guys

You mean something like this?

Is what I usually try to do.

Assuming you still have closed guard, I pinch my knees tight and straighten my legs some, relieving pressure on my neck, then push arm aside. From there I usually try to work to his back because I don’t have much success with arm triangle from bottom. Good tips above.

if the guy is doing that, he sucks and you sweep him, armlock him, arm triangle him or take his back

xen wrote: “Gettin IN that position means he’s just barreling through your guard.”

i dont really agree with that. assume closed guard, the guy inside the guard has hands blocking biceps and on his knees. all he has to do is put his arm across the throat (which is a dumb mistake), lean his head down and stand up with his legs back.

I like to armbar when someone does that. Whatever arm they have on your throat, post your foot on that side hip so they can’t get their arm back. Then work on swiveling off to the side for the arm bar. Its easier explained in person, but seems to work well for me.

Anton