When I grow up, I want to be an Alicorn

That’s what i did, yeah. Instead of changing your lifestyle for 7 days a week, you just change 2 days. Makes it much easier to stomach.

1 Like

Sounds like great cardio right there!

2 Likes

I like this term! Fingers crossed for woosh effect on normal weigh in day.

It is for me. Desk job. Drive to work. Etc. I have to go on purposeful walks, but I enjoy them as well.

Thank you, I know I am not alone in this. They absolutely did they best they could on their budget. I honestly have no idea how they managed. My dad got up over 300 at one point, and when he started to go to the gym, he had a heart attack after a workout one day. He still makes the joke, “don’t go to the gym, it will try to kill you”. He has lost and kept off about 50lbs though, which is fantastic.

1 Like

Absolutely! I ran for years, then just stopped one day. Oh crap… Sprints. I need sprints.

Saturday
Trap Bar DL
4 x 6 x 190
SS
Press
4 x 6 x 85

Squat
3 x 8 x 155
SS
KBS
3 x 10 x 35

Farmer’s Carry
3 x 60sec @ 70lbs

A couple of those presses ended up as push presses on the last set. Everything was feeling heavy and slow today. Ate about 400cal more than allotted last night, I was hoping that would translate to today, but it did not.

2 Likes

I have been having an internal conversation on goals, and how I’d like to program my next few months of training. I am getting better at clean meal planning every week. It’s getting easy to avoid pastries at coffee shops. During travel… that one is a work in progress. I am slowly wrapping my head around food being fuel, not a reward.

I admitted to myself today that lifting has naturally taken over time and mental space that another pursuit once occupied. I have found myself with more time now. I’ll phrase my lifting goal in the form of a question, how big can I get? I, of course, don’t want to find that answer at the bottom of the Twinkie box. More along the line of, when I wear a long sleeve shirt, I need a concealed carry permit.

When chatting with my new coworker about the gym the other day, she said that when she first saw me, even with me sitting down she was thinking, “Damn, she looks like she could mess me up.” Maybe the nicest thing a coworker has ever said to me. This girl weighs 100lbs soaking wet, but I’ll take it. Then later that week my other office mate asked me if I still lift weights. Ego boost over. I’d like it to be clear to everyone.

Here is my order of operations, I did not come up with this on my own. Took it from a certain Mythical Strength Reddit post, swapped out BBB for Hardgainer.

5/3/1 for Hardgainers
I do not claim to be a hardgainer, I want to get back into 531, try a 4-day lift week, and I just like it. I also discovered my gym has a prowler.
6 weeks, 7th week will be a deload/conditioning week that will line up with a hiking trip I have planned.

Building the Monolith
It scares me.

Deep Water beginner through advanced.
See above.

Starting Monday, it’s all plug and play now.

6 Likes

In for the follow. This is going to be good, ladies and gents.

1 Like

Hell yeah!

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re aware or have mentioned it elsewhere but Mythical Strength and @T3hPwnisher are one and the same. He’s a fantastic resource and I assume he’ll be pumped to see you running that set of programs.

Also, in.

1 Like

Absolutely so! Hardgainer is on my radar as well, so it’ll be good to watch it unfold.

2 Likes

This hurts so bad when it happens. Gets me right in the feels

@heretolog I thought that was the case! Glad to have you.
@T3hPwnisher Welcome! Thank you for posting all that you do. I have been following your log for a few months. The well of knowledge and bad ideas is endless.

Fuel for the fire?

2 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I’m all in on the accountability at this point. No point in hiding from the camera.
Weigh-in was 157.6 today. 6lbs down from January. Not a pound per week, but all my pants are fitting better.

This is from Jan 14th. I forgot to take a picture until a couple of weeks into the cut.

From today, 3/6

I feel like the muffin top is down a bit. Hubby said he sees ab improvements.

7 Likes

5/3/1 Hardgainer, W1, D1

Box jumps

Squats
5 x 125
5 x 145
5+ x 165 (10)
20 x 125

DB Row
1 x 25 x 25
2 x 15 x 40

DB Incline Press
5 x 20 x 25
SS
KBS
5 x 20 x 35

The squats were supposed to be 5lbs heavier, but I couldn’t find the 2.5’s or 5’s. Considering how well everything moved, I am thinking I should have rounded up instead of down, but it seemed wise to start lighter on 531.

Meal Prep for the week:
Coconut Curry Salmon
Chicken Adobo w/ side salad
Lemon Chicken and asparagus
Meat marinara on cauliflower linguine

6 Likes

5/3/1 Hardgainer, W1, D2

Box Jumps

Bench
5 x 85
5 x 100
5 x 5 x 115

The program lists “20-30 minutes of prowler/sled”, I made it into a circuit with the assistance work, hopefully breaking it up is acceptable.

~3-4 min sled drag, 100lbs (one lap of the gym)
Pull ups to failure then inverted rows to 10 reps (Total of 80)
5 pushups (Total of 50)

My goodness. I see why the sled doesn’t have a substitute. I haven’t used one before now. I only recently discovered one hiding in the corner of the gym. I varied between pulling forward and backward with TRX straps to pushing with the handles. Pushing was the real kicker.
Working with this thingy, it’s cute:

Today:
1.5 mile walk w/ 25lb pack

Non-training story:
Hubby and I bought a new couch. The two of us had to carry it across a small parking lot, up a flight of U shaped stairs, through 3 doorways and into our apartment. Lots of tipping and flipping involved. It weights 240lbs. I looked it up after the fact. But we did it. After we were done, hubby said: “Glad you are buff, if you weren’t, that couch would still be sitting in the parking lot.” He knows what makes my heart pitter-patter.

6 Likes

Outstanding update all around! Glad you’ve found the magic of the sled. People always want to know how to replace it, and it just can’t happen.

Thank you! It as a real eye opener. Glad my gym had one stashed away.

1 Like

5/3/1 Hardgainer, W1, D3
(Friday)

Box Jumps
100 Band Pull aparts

Deadlifts
5 x 135
5 x 155
5+ x 170 (12 Reps)
5 x 5 x 135

Assisted Dips
10x10
DB Curls
5 x 15 x 15
Bulgarian Split Squats
3 x 15 x 20
2 x 10 x 20

Deadlifts flew. I felt like I could have kept going on the PR set, but I called it on the first pause. Split squats were not fun, but I feel like they do good for the biking muscles, so they shall stay.

5/3/1 Hardgainer, W1, D4
(Saturday)

Box Jumps
100 Band Pull aparts

Press
5 x 60
5 x 70
5 x 80
10 x 5 x 60

Prowler - Broken up into 3-4 minute pull/push laps around the gym
7 mins @ 100lbs
15 Mins @ 125lbs

DB bench
5 x 10 x 35
Lat Pull Downs
5 x 10 (90#, 80#, 70, 70, 70)

Weights felt good throughout, I feel like I have my TMs dialed in nicely. This first week felt a bit light overall. I was getting tuckered by the last few sets of everything. Went for a latte at one of our favorite coffee shops after. Then had 3 kebabs, a greek salad, and a bit of lemon rice for lunch. I could almost feel the food restoring my tired legs as I ate it. It was like getting a health pack in a video game.

Week one is done! Liking this program so far. It didn’t feel too bad until the prowler work came along. Looking forward to week two.

7 Likes

Will be cool to see your results from this program. I have never done Hardgainers before. Also +1 for Mediterranean food – my favorite.