T Nation

When Doing a 1 RM

When doing a 1 rep max should you be greedy or conservative?

Case in point… This morning I went for a new 1 rep max on my wide grip bench. my old is from last December… 325x1. Today i wanted 345 and so i did my warm ups then 295x1, 325x1 and then i couldn’t decide… should i do 335x1 and possibly run out of energy before the 345? or should i just go balls to the wall and do 345?
i decided to go for 345. i missed. needed a light spot about 2" off my chest. Here’s where the problem comes into play…
i wasted a LOT of energy on the 345 that when i went back down to 335 i missed it too. Now i have NO NEW 1 REP MAX at all. i have nothing!!!

So, When doing a 1 rep max should you be greedy or conservative?

tim.

It’s pretty ambitious to jump 20 pounds like that. Depends on how long it’s been since you last attempted and how much stronger you are I guess.
I would use some kind of wave loading and maybe back into 335 as my second to last set and see if I could get two. Maybe a 3-2-1 3-2-1 scheme with the first single being the previous 1RM.

A powerlifter can probably give some good advice on this.

For me personally, I am always conservative because I think it helps psychologically if nothing else.

You’ll just have to learn to judge what you’re capable of that day. The longer you trian you will be able to say, “I’m good for another 20lb.” or “I’m good for another 5lb.”

The other day I was going for a PR in the back squat, but didn’t have a spotter. I nailed 350lb (PR) but decided not to push it any further. I knew that with a heavier weight, I may not be able to get out of the bottom. My next PR day, which will be in a couple of weeks, I expect to hit at least 370lb. It is just some thing that you practice and learn through trial and error.

I remember reading something by King in Get Buffed that your new max should be about 105% of the old max. That would be about 341.25lbs, if the old one was 325.
Thanks for the reminder. I haven’t given this subject much thought lately.

What purpose does the number serve?

If you want to brag, make something up. If you want to lift, save yourself the shoulder wear and extrapolate it.

Unless your weekend activities put you in the company of burly men in squatting paraphernalia, I question the point.

That said… use 10 pound increments in the future.

DI

For me it depends on how long since I’ve maxed out on that exercise. It varies, but I will usually go for about 5% above my previous 1 RM. If the warm ups feel easier than expected though, I may go for more.

I always work up to something I know I can get but is close to a max and then go from there depending on how it feels, but conservativly. I think its better mentally to leave a little in the hole then to fail on a lift.

Knight, What is the point?? To challenge yourself and get stronger.

Lately I’ve heard a lot of people say that strenght is irrelevant; yet for some reason these are the same people that love V8’s in cars. I usually just reply why do you want a V8 over a V6 then?

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
Lately I’ve heard a lot of people say that strenght is irrelevant; yet for some reason these are the same people that love V8’s in cars. I usually just reply why do you want a V8 over a V6 then? [/quote]

Who the hell has said “strength is irrelevant”? I’m not calling bullshit, PP, I’m just pissed I missed the absolute flaming those retards would have received.

Whenever I’m going for a PR, I go up in 10lbs increments. It helps me get used to the weight and establishes a good frame of mind. Also, I would ignore anyone who says “don’t go for PRs, just extrapolate out”. Go for the PR, get it, and then work on the new PR. Its called progress. Embrace it.

thanks for all the replys.

i had been working on a new PR for bench since the beginning of the year. i prolly should have gone w/ a 10lb gain and left it at that. the program i used/am using is to take the current 1 rep max add 20lbs to it and then work percentages from there. so i was working bench percentages w/ a 345 bench even though my actual max was only 325. so that is why i really wanted that 20lb gain. i think i will stick w/ this program as i was very close to gettin’ it this time. i think my failure was in that i am not consistant with working my back and triceps. if i can lock those down i should see the gains i want.
thanks for all your input guys.

tim.