T Nation

When Do You Stop Being Skinny?

I’m curious when a skinny dude becomes a big dude. Whats the criteria?

Is it a height and weight requirement or a visual one?

Is there a cross over period when your not skinny, but still not big? Just kinda mediocre size.

If you have to ask this question, you’re still skinny.

LOL

Yeah, that makes sense.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
If you have to ask this question, you’re still skinny.[/quote]

Lol!

I do partially agree, but most dudes on the getting huge path never actually believe they are big enough.

I guess it’s all relative. To some super feather weights I probably look big. And some dude who looks big to me probably looks small in Ronnie Coleman’s eyes.

Good Question

Being 6 feet 4 ive always been called skinny up until i was 19 and put on 20kgs.
Once my shoulders and especially TRAPS got big thats when people started saying i was huge.The funny thing now is ive put on even more size but i get called skinny again???

What ive found out is fat people call me skinny while skinny people think im a monster.

So i cant really answer your question as there are so many things that can make u look and NOT look skinny eg…the way u dress,the way you hold yourself and where u hold your weight.

When people know you lift without you having to say anything.

–JB

I think when the majority of average people are like “Damn!” when they see you. However, i have ot agree that by ‘our’ standards, many of us are still skinny. I think i’m still a skinny bastard, at 210 6feet tall, 10-12%fat, i think i 'm still thin, but to other average gym goers and average people, i’m kinda big, its all in the eye of the beholder.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:

Is there a cross over period when your not skinny, but still not big? Just kinda mediocre size.
[/quote]
I would think so.

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
Good Question

Being 6 feet 4 ive always been called skinny up until i was 19 and put on 20kgs.
Once my shoulders and especially TRAPS got big thats when people started saying i was huge.The funny thing now is ive put on even more size but i get called skinny again???

What ive found out is fat people call me skinny while skinny people think im a monster.

So i cant really answer your question as there are so many things that can make u look and NOT look skinny eg…the way u dress,the way you hold yourself and where u hold your weight.[/quote]

I agree, traps make dudes look big…to a degree anyway.

Personally I think I need about another 15lbs of muscle on me, bringing me up to about 206lbs at 6". I’ve been there before, but it takes a lot of eating. Beyond that I’ll most likely be compromising rock climbing performance.

Shit, I’m probably already too big for rock climbing.

If you’re less than 15% bodyfat and prof X doesn’t tell you to bulk, then you’re not skinny anymore.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
King of Kings wrote:
Good Question

So i cant really answer your question as there are so many things that can make u look and NOT look skinny eg…the way u dress,the way you hold yourself and where u hold your weight.

I agree, traps make dudes look big…to a degree anyway.

Personally I think I need about another 15lbs of muscle on me, bringing me up to about 206lbs at 6". I’ve been there before, but it takes a lot of eating. Beyond that I’ll most likely be compromising rock climbing performance.

Shit, I’m probably already too big for rock climbing. [/quote]

Yeah, I’d say you were pretty big if you were 206lbs at 6 inches tall.

Okay, I’m a dick, back under the rock with me.

mike

[quote]tveddy wrote:
If you’re less than 15% bodyfat and prof X doesn’t tell you to bulk, then you’re not skinny anymore.[/quote]

Hahaha, good answer.

[quote]Irish Muscle wrote:
tveddy wrote:
If you’re less than 15% bodyfat and prof X doesn’t tell you to bulk, then you’re not skinny anymore.

ahaha, best reply yet.

On a serious note i think its all down to your blood flow. Let me explain myself.

Some days when its warm and i wake up my arms feel full and they look bigger.

But some days i look skinny as fuck, especially on a leg day. When i squat all the blood drains down to my legs and that leaves my upper body alot lighter looking.

when its warm, your muscles expand a bit and your veins pop out and you look bigger all over so you feeel big. then other times you look skinnier again and it sucks. So some days i feel and look biggish, other days i look like a 12 year old girl.

So i guess what im trying to say is i’m obviously paranoid and i need to get a life.[/quote]

Too funny! But you’re right about leg day making your upper body look weak.

Oh, and get a life.

I knew I was on the right path when my female friends started calling me Clark Kent.

Then some of my friends started aking me how to get bigger.

when little kids stop and stare as you walk by and women stop snickering.

When you have to be buried in a grand piano because they can’t find any coffins big enough for you. That’s when you know you’ve arrived. I’m thinking that might be too late, though.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
When you have to be buried in a grand piano because they can’t find any coffins big enough for you. That’s when you know you’ve arrived. I’m thinking that might be too late, though.

DB[/quote]

There really isn’t much room inside a grand piano. There is however a ton of room inside a grand piano box!

I know, I know… That’s what you meant…

I’m gonna go out swinging – crushed by my final bench press. Then they’ll bury me in the box that one of those church organs came in. F the grand piano box.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
When people know you lift without you having to say anything.

–JB[/quote]

So the question for me is when does a fat guy become known as built? I’m wayy too fat right now, broken foot, fried food, and laziness all contribuated. Now at work I get a lot “do you work out?” and I just say yes.

So my questions for everyone here is am do I look better than I give myself credit for or are people who work out just so rare that any fat ass(me) with shoulders look like we work out?

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
I’m gonna go out swinging – crushed by my final bench press. Then they’ll bury me in the box that one of those church organs came in. F the grand piano box.[/quote]

Why not just get buried in the church?