When Do You Roll Foam?

I usually do it when I get back from the gym on the body parts I just worked. Are you supposed to do it before as well? Or are you supposed to do it on your days off?

I guess its one of those things where the more the better, but I just don’t really know how to make it effective in my training.

[quote]acelement wrote:
I usually do it when I get back from the gym on the body parts I just worked. Are you supposed to do it before as well? Or are you supposed to do it on your days off?

I guess its one of those things where the more the better, but I just don’t really know how to make it effective in my training.[/quote]

You meant “When do you foam roll?”, not “When do you roll foam”. :wink:

That being said, I don’t do it at all…

Might have to look into it though, as apparently everyone loves it.

I do it before a work out, mainly focusing on whatever muscle I plan to do.

When I do this I usually feel better throughout my work out and can lift slightly more.

I do it when my body feels like it eeeds it, which is everyday for my legs.

Having flat feet and being on concrete sucks. I end up rolling my hams, glutes/piriformis everyday.

I’ll do my quads and the above after a leg workout.

It’s fine to be used as part of a warm-up as it will increase blood flow to the area.

I do it after most leg workouts if I have time. But usually I do it at home in the evenings. I do it daily on my legs primarily on the IT band and the rectus femoris. I regularly roll my back and sometimes other stuff.

I have some pain under my patella and tight muscles are apparently a common cause (screwing up the tracking according to an article on EliteFTS)) so I am using foam rolling, in addition to stretching, to loosen and lengthen the muscle. Rather than just roll back and forth on the muscle, I feel for knots and work back and forth over them in short movements.

I have a roller than is high density foam. It more like rolling on a friggin’ wooden log. It is painful enough when I am doing legs that I need to focus on my breathing just to keep going. My legs feel great when I am done and my knee feels a little better after a week of intense rolling.

I’m the same way, giterdone. I upped the ante from the white foam roller to the blue one. The change is pretty drastic.

I would like to try it prior to workouts, but I typically don’t have the time. Instead I try to do it before bed when I feel like I’ve got enough time left.

I do it just about every other day in the evening and on off-days. I have never tried it before a workout, and unlike the consensus here I dont roll the muscles I worked that day.

My knee pain has also all but vanished, and my lower back feels much better after rolling for the past couple months.

I already killed my roller though, the thing is flattening out on me. I was considering just using 6" PVC now since the foam no longer causes me pain.

Whenever I remember, usually when I’m stretching and I see the roller. It works out to several times a week usually, moreso if I’m tweaked. I just started usuing the roller a few weeks ago though. I like it much better than tennis balls.

I do mainly just before legs on the IT band and iliopsoas. Really helps loosen out my legs so I can squat low.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
acelement wrote:

I guess its one of those things where the more the better, but I just don’t really know how to make it effective in my training.

[/quote]

No, I meant when do you roll foam, because I was just trying to play with the words to be silly.

[quote]acelement wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
acelement wrote:

No, I meant when do you roll foam, because I was just trying to play with the words to be silly.[/quote]

You don’t roll it, you apply it to the surface of something. Big hit with the kids. http://www.floamit.com/

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

Having flat feet and being on concrete sucks. I end up rolling my hams, glutes/piriformis everyday.

It’s fine to be used as part of a warm-up as it will increase blood flow to the area.[/quote]

How do you get at your piriformis with a foam roller? I can’t even get at it with a ball. :confused:

I get ridiculously painful knots in my legs everytime I train heavy farmers. I’ve tried rolling the day before, and the day after, but by far the most effective I’ve found is heading to the gym an hour after doing event training and rolling.

I feel much better the next day, and require a lot less rolling to achieve the same result when I do it this way.

[quote]debraD wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

It’s fine to be used as part of a warm-up as it will increase blood flow to the area.

How do you get at your piriformis with a foam roller? I can’t even get at it with a ball. :confused:

[/quote]

I think you would sit on the foam roller and roll your piriformis (of the stretching leg) while having this type of stretch going on:

http://www.liveawesome.com/piriformis_stretch_clip_image002.jpg

Obviously, your piriformis is directly on the foam roller. I do this, and the result is a lot more painful/helpful than simply trying to roll it through the glutes directly.

I hope this helps. If not, I think there’s a bunch of guys in SAMA who would do it manually for you ;).

I foam roll with my pvc pipe, you pussies :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone know of a really good resource (book, article or otherwise) that outlines all of the different movements you can do to hit the different areas of the body? I checked these forums and Cresseys video on youtube, but would definitely appreciate something a little more in depth. Thanks.

[quote]Burst wrote:
debraD wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

I think you would sit on the foam roller and roll your piriformis (of the stretching leg) while having this type of stretch going on:

http://www.liveawesome.com/piriformis_stretch_clip_image002.jpg

Obviously, your piriformis is directly on the foam roller. I do this, and the result is a lot more painful/helpful than simply trying to roll it through the glutes directly.

.[/quote]

Yup, that’s it

I do it after my energy system work, or if I feel like I need it.

When you run out of zig zags.

What is Roll Foam mean? never hear that at the gym…