When Did You Leave the Nest?

Does she cut the crust off your sandwhiches too? Grow up and move out and stop insulting your parents, you know those people? The ones that raised you and allow you to leech off of them currently for your own selfish reasons? You make more than enough income in this state to live on your own. You ever think they might be passive aggressive because their grown son refuses to take care of himself? You are 23 and complaining about what your mommy cooks you for dinner everynight? Seriously?

What are your goals? Personally? Financially? Emotionally?

You’re in a very lucky situation. You have very supportive parents. Besides, doesn’t everyone have some sort of beef with their Mothers?

I went away to college. Moved home during the summers and worked. Moved away to another state when I graduated. I was lucky. Having supportive parents like that is not the norm.

$60K for 23 yrs old is impressive. As pretty much everyone on here said - pay off all notes, highest post-tax interest first. You’ll thank yourself later when you have a mortgage and kids.

OMG GUYS I HAVE A RIDICULOUSLY EASY LIFE, SHOULD I KEEP HAVING AN AWESOME LIFE AT MY PARENTS HOUSE OR SHOULD I HAVE AN AWESOME LIFE SOMEWHERE ELSE!??!

Fucking Christ. The day you started making a viable living you should have been out. Get real man. The fact that your mom’s a bitch isn’t even relevant. It wouldn’t matter if she was the nicest, most complimentary woman on the planet. The advice would be the same. The only people who are suggesting you stay are saying that because it’s what they’re doing right now. Anyone past that age knows better. Sign a lease today. TODAY.

I’ll also share my experience with this. My last year in school, I was living in a fraternity house, no income. I moved back to my parent’s house for about a month, started working at about a third of your salary, and got the fuck out. I lived in a tiny apartment, barely had food money, and 8 years later, I have zero regrets.

17 and I was a father.

I moved out for good at 25, when I got married. After 19, I only lived at home for a year and a half after I graduated college, while I prepared my home for my wife and saved up enough money to pay off my truck and her student loans making 32,000 that first year. Move out. You need to start figuring out what the real world is like.

It appears that those outside of the US would suggest staying longer and those inside would say to leave ASAP–interesting. Seriously, live there long enough to read Total Money Makeover then move out. You make a ton of money for a single guy your age and won’t overextend yourself unless you’re really stupid.

Left at 16… But “nest” isn’t the word I would use to describe it.

Living on people’s couches, and the back seats of other people’s cars is a bitch, particularly while still in highschool.

And shit, buy the time I was making 60k I had a family, house, 2 new cars, retirement savings and other nice things…

Just lol.

I’m a boomerang child. I moved out at 19 but I keep moving back every other year or so. I have problems with committment.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
I’m a boomerang child. I moved out at 19 but I keep moving back every other year or so. I have problems with commitment.[/quote]

Why is that?

22 for me and I didn’t go to far away. I am blessed with a very tight-knit family and Italian moms love to send lasagna!

60k a year and you are still living at home? Nagging parents (who incidentally you are sponging off of) and a mother that haunts you (take the hint). Grow a pair and move out for fucksake!

I moved out at 18 for college then moved back home at 23 for 2 years while working and doing further schooling.

I’d recommend moving out ASAP.

Your 20’s are ultra precious because it’s one of the most optimal times to develop yourself not just academically and professionally but also socially. Living with your parents inhibits the growth of your social life for the simple fact the child-parent dynamic is still in place while living at home. Having friends over, girls, it’s really a cramp in your lifestyle. Combine that with the fact you a mother has some serious negative personality traits (at least from your description) you really shouldn’t hesitate.

Also you don’t want to end up being one of these guys who never learns independence. Don’t be one of these guys who go mother to wife with no break in between.

I was either 24 or 25 when I moved out, and I was making 40k at the time.

Fortunately, cost of living is pretty cheap in Houston, so I was able to find a moderately priced apartment, in a nice area for about $650 a month (which included a discount where I had to sign a longer lease).

I’m pretty sure if I lived on the east or west coast, I would’ve stayed with my parents a little longer. Hearing what some of my friends paid for moderately priced apartments not in the hood is absolutely outrageous, I’m talking well into the $1000s. And I’m not paying $1000+ dollars a month for something that’s not a house/condo.

With that being said, it also helped my dad and stepmom bought me a car, and my student loan payments aren’t too outrageous.

It’s funny too, because not even a year after I moved out my dad then starts asking when I’m going to buy a house, as if going from “broke” to “not-so-broke” places oneself in the demographic to buy a house.

I was out of the house at 20. Married at 21, divorced at 23. At age 26, I was between jobs & apartments and rented a room from my dad for a little over a year. I paid him rent, when I got a pay raise, he got a rent raise too. I did stuff around the house too. He was sorry to see me move.

Set up a definite time to move out and let your parents know up front. Stay a year more and pay off everything you can, live very frugally. Give the folks some more $$ so they cut you some slack. Still very commendable for you to be doing so well at age 23.

Rob

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
60k a year and you are still living at home? Nagging parents (who incidentally you are sponging off of) and a mother that haunts you (take the hint). Grow a pair and move out for fucksake!
[/quote]

This is the best part,

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
Its been challenging for me to hang out with chicks when living at home[/quote]

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
[/quote]

This is the best part,

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
[/quote]

I actually think this guy is taking the piss!

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
[/quote]

This is the best part,

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
[/quote]

I actually think this guy is taking the piss![/quote]

I imagine that would be funny, if I knew what they heck you mean’t!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
[/quote]

This is the best part,

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:
[/quote]

I actually think this guy is taking the piss![/quote]

I imagine that would be funny, if I knew what they heck you mean’t![/quote]

Haha, it means he is not being serious, he is trolling or trying to get a rise outa folks.

the day I received my high school diploma my dad gave me a week to get out of the house, I bummed around for a while and found a roommate this was the summer of '94, in the winter of '97 I was asked by my sisters to come back since I was unmarried(my sisters are) because my mother become very ill. I helped out for a year or so, and my mom got a little better; at this time I moved in with my then fiancee.

things didn’t work out so well with her, and I stayed in our apartment. well my dad and mom both wound up getting very sick, and I moved back again to take care of them, my mother passed away in sept of 09 my dad just passed sept of '12