When Did You Leave the Nest?

I graduated from college in May 2013.

I’m still living at home, saving up money, and working full time. I earn slightly more than 60K per year and really don’t have that many living expenses right now. Basically all I have is 10K of student loans, which I have 10 years to payoff and about 12K in auto loans, which I have 3 years to payback.

I’m sorta on the fence on whether I should move out my parent’s home or not. I was thinking of making the leap in several more months, but now I’m debating doing it sooner.

Its been challenging for me to hang out with chicks when living at home, and my parents are constantly nagging me. My mother is pretty passive aggressive woman, constantly criticizing others for doing things like dieting, exercising, and setting personal goals. She’s a pretty miserable person who’ll try to bring anyone down that she can lol. Its also hard to eat clean when dinner’s made and on the table everyday.

On the flip side, I’m able to save like 50% of my income living at home. I pay my parents 300/month to live at home, its basically a drop in the bucket compared to what I’d pay living on my own. I’ve thought about getting roommates, but I think it’d remind me of college too much.

So my question is; when did you move out for good? How did you feel about it? And what advice do some of the wiser gents on these boards have to offer to a dumb ass 23 yr old? Thanks for reading!

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:

I’m still living at home, saving up money, and working full time. I earn slightly more than 60K per year and really don’t have that many living expenses right now. Basically all I have is 10K of student loans, which I have 10 years to payoff and about 12K in auto loans, which I have 3 years to payback.

I’m sorta on the fence on whether I should move out my parent’s home or not. I was thinking of making the leap in several more months, but now I’m debating doing it sooner.

Its been challenging for me to hang out with chicks when living at home, and my parents are constantly nagging me. My mother is pretty passive aggressive woman, constantly criticizing others for doing things like dieting, exercising, and setting personal goals. She’s a pretty miserable person who’ll try to bring anyone down that she can lol. Its also hard to eat clean when dinner’s made and on the table everyday.

On the flip side, I’m able to save like 50% of my income living at home. I pay my parents 300/month to live at home, its basically a drop in the bucket compared to what I’d pay living on my own. I’ve thought about getting roommates, but I think it’d remind me of college too much.

So my question is; when did you move out for good? How did you feel about it? And what advice do some of the wiser gents on these boards have to offer to a dumb ass 23 yr old? Thanks for reading![/quote]

Wow, that does sound challenging.

I was sixteen.

I moved out when I went to college at 18. It was awesome and I have been on my own ever since.

A word of advise is pay off your student loans as fast as you can while living with your parents. Eliminating debt now will pay off big time in the long run. Making that kind of money, you could definitely save up for a down payment on an investment property and live in that for a few years.

While I’m only your senior by a few years, i left about 10 days after high school graduation for basic training. Never lived in the nest again.

My advice would be to take a few months, pay off every single penny you owe early, and then take the leap. Don’t over extend yourself though.

What the shit? Move out. Holy crap.

Dang you guys/gals are fast! There werent any responses when i started typing mine…

I would definitely pay off everything ASAP then move out, no reason it should take more than a year unless your buying shit you don’t need. Plus if your parents see your bringing down debt with an end in sight they might be less passive aggressive towards the whole issue. Just stay out of their way and do your own thing

I heard a comedian say once when told some guy still lived at home: “Don’t we all live at home?”

I don’t understand why you would want to stay. I get there are reasons to, but there is no way they would of kept me at home.

[quote]24Animal7 wrote:

So my question is; when did you move out for good? How did you feel about it? And what advice do some of the wiser gents on these boards have to offer to a dumb ass 23 yr old? Thanks for reading![/quote]

You could always rent a room from someone else and still pay around 300 or 400 dollars a month.

Life is expensive.

Take all the money and food your parents give you.

^ pretty much me. The rent concept is completely foreign to Indian parents, although it’s a good idea IMO

I graduated last May and have been working and living at home since. I like it for now. I save up money and am working on a masters full time, which would be much harder without living at home. Question: why do you care about your mother bringing you down? does it mess up your squats or diet lol…my mom thinks I’ll get cancer from protein powder but I still take it cuz I’m a huge rebel

From someone who’s in a shit load of debt, including a humungous student loan debt I suggest at the very least, paying off your car loans. If you graduated on time that would make you 21-23? No shame in staying 1-2 years there paying off as much debt and saving up as much money as possible.

You live in a different world than of those of the generation(s) before you. Stay home till all your debt is paid, then move out.

It’s common in Europe to live with your parents in your 20s. Don’t be one-dimensional and think you have to conform to your culture’s norms solely because that’s the thing you’re “supposed to do.” Do what’s right for you, taking into consideration a multitude of factors, finances being one.

17 and never had the option to return. Can’t really be an adult until you pay your own bills. Not saying you have to be an adult, but its more fun than being a child.

Move out, move out now.

You dont complete growing up until you assume the responsibility of paying the bills, getting the groceries doing the washing and cleaning that your Mum currently does. FYI. Your Mum is the slave that raised you…so stop dissing her.

18, right after graduation. Time to move on

went into the military a few weeks after turning 17. came back to visit a few times but never more than a few wks. haven’t seen any blood relatives since 77

stay as long as they’ll let you and save as much money as you can.