When Did the Brits Turn Into Pussies?

October 19, 1781

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Vir wrote:
Mothers are overprotective and women can’t read maps.

Well I never.[/quote]

And us Americans? Never mind reading a topo map and going hiking, most of us can’t even find Iraq or Afghanistan on a world map. Do you think most middle class american’s hike? Not where I live. The trails are pretty much empty 95% of the times I go.

We sue each other over the most frivolous bullshit. That’s pretty pussy too if you ask me.

[/quote]

Well we could go back to having a duel every time we felt insulted.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

Well we could go back to having a duel every time we felt insulted.[/quote]

Or we could just let stupid shit go? Or not be so fuckin petty and sensitive. Here’s an example:

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/a-lawsuit-for-hurt-locker-in-time-for-oscars/

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
The remaining tough birts are actually closet scots.[/quote]

Fuck you.

July 4, 1776 or just prior…

[quote]kanew wrote:

Fuck you.[/quote]

Did that one get under your kilt…I mean skin?

Op fully agree with your observation but you do seem to have a bit too much of a focus on the UK. As others have pointed out I could list many things wrong with this country too, and our societies are moving in similar directions.

1 Like

Boy isn’t this the case!

I live in a neighborhood that has an email list. One of my newer neighbors is from the UK and they posted an alarming note that there was a feral cat who had “attacked” their daughter (who is about 5 or 6). The letter went on to ask about rabies and do everything but call in the Marines to deal with the issue.

The cat in question is my cat. He is quite elderly and arthritic – matter of fact he sprained a paw last year when he tried to jump off the porch. We are hardly dealing with the King of Beasts here. What happened, when I finally got the story from them, was that the man and his daughter were out for a walk and saw the cat sitting on my front porch. They both went up and she tried to pick up the cat by * its * head, whereupon it objected, bit and scratched, then limped off.

The point is that I had to lecture the parents (both were visiting from a top university in London as guest faculty) that pets are not toys and that they were trespassing when they assaulted my cat. (I felt like a turd putting it that way, but had to forestall any lawsuits.) I really got the impression they had no idea why the cat reacted like it did. I can certainly see that these very urbane people would be completely lost with dirt under their feet.

Grrrrrrrr

– jj

since the “royal family” was German.

[quote]jj-dude wrote:
Boy isn’t this the case!

I live in a neighborhood that has an email list. One of my newer neighbors is from the UK and they posted an alarming note that there was a feral cat who had “attacked” their daughter (who is about 5 or 6). The letter went on to ask about rabies and do everything but call in the Marines to deal with the issue.

The cat in question is my cat. He is quite elderly and arthritic – matter of fact he sprained a paw last year when he tried to jump off the porch. We are hardly dealing with the King of Beasts here. What happened, when I finally got the story from them, was that the man and his daughter were out for a walk and saw the cat sitting on my front porch. They both went up and she tried to pick up the cat by * its * head, whereupon it objected, bit and scratched, then limped off.

The point is that I had to lecture the parents (both were visiting from a top university in London as guest faculty) that pets are not toys and that they were trespassing when they assaulted my cat. (I felt like a turd putting it that way, but had to forestall any lawsuits.) I really got the impression they had no idea why the cat reacted like it did. I can certainly see that these very urbane people would be completely lost with dirt under their feet.

Grrrrrrrr

– jj[/quote]

White people making white problems…

People would rather spend years trying to validate that their being afraid was a legitimate feeling, rather than owning up to the fact that they fucked up and were being ridiculous fraidy-cats.

may 1997 officially, but the general malaise started way before that.

we still think we can kick ass though, only nowadays you have to drink a bottle of vodka first, snort some coke, make sure you have enough mates to outnumber your victim three to one, then hit him with the bottle or use a knife then your mates can join in with the ritual headkicking.

[quote]kanew wrote:

Fuck you.[/quote]

Did that one get under your kilt…I mean skin?[/quote]

aye

[quote]Kerley wrote:
since the “royal family” was German.[/quote]
and since their now queen married a greek

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
Ever since they lost the war.

/s[/quote]

which war?

As an english teenager i think its sick how health and safety and the like has allowed this country to become scared of being even ever so slightly out of the comfort zone, thank god my parents ahave never been like the above, I would like to add, that the people described do not behave in a manner that all british people do, im not scared of cows

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
October 19, 1781[/quote]

The date, we surrendered to Washington? We did however go on to kick the frenchs arse,and go on to create the largest empire the world has ever seen. Not that thats a good thing, but i tihnk it happened more recently

“No offense to the Brits, but England is becoming a pretty messed up country”.

Too true, that is why so many of us are leaving for Australia. At least their prime minister has a set of balls and is prepared to speak his mind.

I mean in the UK you are taking your own freedom in your hands if you even so much a tackle a burglar in
your own home. That along with the benefits system for the work shy and immigrants really says all there
is to say. We are a laughing stock.

[quote]thejap wrote:
“No offense to the Brits, but England is becoming a pretty messed up country”.

Too true, that is why so many of us are leaving for Australia. At least their prime minister has a set of balls and is prepared to speak his mind.

I mean in the UK you are taking your own freedom in your hands if you even so much a tackle a burglar in
your own home. That along with the benefits system for the work shy and immigrants really says all there
is to say. We are a laughing stock. [/quote]

Right, because Australia doesn’t impose the most idiotic restrictions I’ve ever seen on supplements and such.

There is no perfect country, just one where you will feel most comfortable with how it is run and the majority of people in it.

When did a study from one source mean individuals with limited IQ and access to the internet would go onto make gross generalisations?

[quote]deadlybuzz wrote:

[quote]Kerley wrote:
since the “royal family” was German.[/quote]
and since their now queen married a greek[/quote]

Your avatar gets my approval!

I used to work with a dude from England and he told me one day “there is no such thing as an Englishman, been invaded and taken over how many times over the years and french was the official language at one time” He had some pretty funny skinhead stories too.

One was about football matches. He said that they used to stink like piss at the end of it cause once you got into your seat(if you sat down at all) you were stuck there. Gotta take a leak, you just pissed on the leg of the guy in front of you through a rolled up newspaper or somesuch. The guy behind you was doing the same thing on your rumble boots and nobody cared.

True or maybe a horseshit story.

Yes French was the court/official language for a long time after the Normans - even now the posher words tend to be the French stem words versus the German eg paternal versus fatherly.

And the football story is true - the other option was a bottle you then threw at the opposing fans …