When Bulking, is Eating Clean Important?

Tuna is great for protein, but has bugger all calories. Whole milk + EVOO = fixed.

Ground beef is normally less than $2 a pound, also go to butchers and pick up meat (chicken/steak) in bulk. Oatmeals pretty cheap, rice is cheap, bananas are really cheap. PB is sold in bulk.

Eggs are pretty cheap, I add em raw to my shakes. Potatoes are cheap by the pound. Learn how to shop, find coupons and use em, this can get pricey quick.

[quote]lixy wrote:
At the level of calories required to bulk, you’d better keep it clean 90%+ of the time. If not for your six-pack, then for your overall health. Our lifestyle here isn’t life prolonging you know…[/quote]

Yes, because we are going to die if we eat hamburgers several times a week.

Here’s my take on it:

Should you eat clean for a “bulk”? (i hate that word). Yes. Why?

1. The food you will be eating will be nutrient dense, therefore changes in body composition will be more visual.

2. You won’t gain much useless fat that can’t be stripped off in a month or so.

3. shitty food is shitty. Half of the calories have no positive nutritional value, they are just there, adding fat on to your physique.

4. shitty food isn’t healthy. and isn’t that another goal of all this weight lifting stuff we do?

Is it more expensive? Fuck yeah it is. You just have to make a choice.

1. Spend the money and eat clean food 90% of the time. Be healthy, grow large amounts of muscle with low body fat.

2. Eat whatever you want, risk gaining alot of fat mass and health risks, and never gain the dietary habits that allow for long term success with this lifestyle.

It boils down to how it fits in with what you want out of your life.

Chicken THIGHS

Hamburger

Whole eggs

lower end pork chops

Canned sardines

and salmon a couple times a week

Olive Oil

Fat has 9 calories per gram and a whole bunch of beneficial properties. Just be sensible. For carbs pasta is cheap and packed. So are potatoes.

I don’t know where the idea got started that eating shitty food is cheaper than eating whole foods. It just takes some planning and preparation. However throwing some fast/junk food supplementation in there will not kill an active young person, but it is not cheaper. Price a pack of white flour buns, a few pounds of ground beef and some American slices compared to a few calorically equivalent trips to Burger King.

8 whoppers is like 30 dollars most places. You could make 20 cheeseburgers at home for that even with some lettuce, tomato and ketchup with less driving/gas consumption to boot, but you can’t be lazy

lol neither do I.

My favorite fast food place is Wendy’s and if I’m going there I’m probably getting the triple cheese burger meal Costs me 6.88 if I remember correctly.

There is about 12 packs(left) of 2-3 lb london broils that I got on sale for 1.99 a lb.

What’s giving me the most bang for my buck if I want 70 grams of protein?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I don’t know where the idea got started that eating shitty food is cheaper than eating whole foods.

lol neither do I.

My favorite fast food place is Wendy’s and if I’m going there I’m probably getting the triple cheese burger meal Costs me 6.88 if I remember correctly.

There is about 12 packs(left) of 2-3 lb london broils that I got on sale for 1.99 a lb.

What’s giving me the most bang for my buck if I want 70 grams of protein?
[/quote]

Exactly, I’m always a bit mystified when I see people talking about how they go out to get in calories because it costs too much to eat in? I suspect they tell themselves that because they don’t want to do the prep n carry.

step 1, buy a deep freezer…

step 2, find a farmer that will sell you half a cow/pig/sheep whatever when they butcher them at times during the year.

if its a big freezer get a whole animal (whole cow is a lot so think quarter cow)

or

step 2b, get a hunting permit and go kill a deer…