When Applying For Jobs...

Should the cover letter be included in the body of the email or as an attachment or both?

It seems like it might be annoying for the HR person to read the email, download the attachment and then read it again.

But really I have no idea. Any HR people here or people experienced with this sort of thing?

Attach your cover letter. In the email, which is a memo, indicate that a cover letter is attached(enclosed).

[quote]cpete wrote:
Attach your cover letter. In the email, which is a memo, indicate that a cover letter is attached(enclosed).[/quote]

OK great, thanks for the response. Having two attachments is fine right? i.e. CL and Resume as seperate attachments.

Also, in my ignorance I must ask, should the memo look something like this…

Dear Sir,

Please accept my resume for consideration for the ____ position. Attached is a resume and cover letter.

Regards,

Beebuddy

Short and sweet with a reference to the job in the subject of the email is what comes to mind when I read “memo.” Sound good?

Make sure the person you are addressing it to is a male or you’ll look foolish addressing her as a “sir.”

You can make it more verbose as well, perhaps indicating that you are welcoming the chance for an interview and working at the company. But if your style is succint, it looks good to me.

Aweseome. Thanks a lot guys.

If it’s a man, you can address him as ‘sir’. If you know his name, it’s even better, and address him as Mr. (last name).

If it’s a female, always use her full name, because you don’t know if she is a Miss or Mrs., so you don’t want to offend her.

The CL and resume should be two separate attachments.

Your email looks fine, but you might want to mention a proactive approach, such as ‘I will be contacting you next week to further discuss this position’

Hope this helps.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
If it’s a female, always use her full name, because you don’t know if she is a Miss or Mrs., so you don’t want to offend her.
[/quote]

Why don’t you use Ms. instead? I think that is why that title was invented, so people don’t have to go out of their way to check if the female being written to is married.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Why don’t you use Ms. instead? I think that is why that title was invented, so people don’t have to go out of their way to check if the female being written to is married.[/quote]

There are some women that are actually offended by Ms.

I would put some of the same verbage in the email that you have in your cover letter.

Some people will not bother to open the cover letter so do not count on that being read.

Reiterate the key info in your email text.

Good luck.

In today’s world its best to try and get an idea of the jobs personality type. Too much verbage can get your resume thrown out as quick as too little with some peopel. If your replying to an ad on monster or something, HR isn’t really trying to open your email THEN scroll down to. Your asking way too much.

On the other hand some guy who is fed up with the internet world is sick of getting emails that did do exactly what he stated.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Why don’t you use Ms. instead? I think that is why that title was invented, so people don’t have to go out of their way to check if the female being written to is married.[/quote]

Like Zap said, some women are offended by it, so that’s why I use the full name. Better safe than sorry, and no need to guess.