T Nation

When and What to Eat...

From what I have read I have gathered the following:

1. Cardio ups your metabolism big time, so the longer you wait to eat up to about an hour PWO, the better for fat loss.
  2. The first hour after doing heavy lifting is prime time for nutrient consumption and use by muscles.

Based on this I have been eating a protein shake immediately after lifting days, and waiting an hour and a half to eat after cario days. does this sound reasonable, or should I focus on one or the other?

BTW: I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I wouldn’t workout on an empty stomach. Unless you mean cardio?

Also, while those things may make a slight difference it’s the total caloric deficit that will matter the most for fat loss.

So I should cario on an empty stomach…

what should I consume before lifting?

[quote]kappa927 wrote:
So I should cario on an empty stomach…

what should I consume before lifting?[/quote]

You can, you don’t have to though.

Depends on what fits into your caloric goals. But some mix of protein and carbs.

[quote]kappa927 wrote:
From what I have read I have gathered the following:

1. Cardio ups your metabolism big time, so the longer you wait to eat up to about an hour PWO, the better for fat loss.
  2. The first hour after doing heavy lifting is prime time for nutrient consumption and use by muscles.

Based on this I have been eating a protein shake immediately after lifting days, and waiting an hour and a half to eat after cario days. does this sound reasonable, or should I focus on one or the other?

BTW: I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
[/quote]
What is your goal?