T Nation

Wheat Bread?

I am 15 and just starting out. I am currently Bulking. I know that white bread isnt good for you. But What about Wheat bread?

Try and make sure the main ingredient is whole wheat flour. Make sure its 100% whole wheat and there is no “enriched wheat flour”

You are only 15 and trying to bulk so dont avoid white bread completely, if it is easily available to you.

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
I am 15 and just starting out. I am currently Bulking. I know that white bread isnt good for you. But What about Wheat bread?[/quote]

At 15 there is NO other option for you than to bulk. As long as there are no existing medical reasons for not doing so.

You should be feeding yourself as much as possible. It would be foolish to restrict calories at such an important stage of your growth and development.

Don’t worry about white/wheat bread, white/brown rice, or any such other things at this point. Obviously the cleaner the better, but really, if all you have is white bread available at that moment, bewtter to eat that than miss a meal.

Eat boy, EAT!

Yes, he should definitely eat/bulk/gain/etc, but 100% whole wheat bread is absolutely better than white bread for everyone and is easily available at any supermarket. Why not encourage smart nutrition NOW so he doesn’t have to “re-learn” this stuff later in life?

Brown rice (not white), whole grain products like bagels, pasta, breads, fresh/frozen fruits & veggies (not canned), eggs, turkey, chicken, beef, fish. As close to nature as possible (minimally processed) is best. Shoot for the best foods you can and eat what’s available when you can’t. You can get away with it at age 15…

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Yes, he should definitely eat/bulk/gain/etc, but 100% whole wheat bread is absolutely better than white bread for everyone and is easily available at any supermarket. Why not encourage smart nutrition NOW so he doesn’t have to “re-learn” this stuff later in life?

Brown rice (not white), whole grain products like bagels, pasta, breads, fresh/frozen fruits & veggies (not canned), eggs, turkey, chicken, beef, fish. As close to nature as possible (minimally processed) is best. Shoot for the best foods you can and eat what’s available when you can’t. You can get away with it at age 15…
[/quote]

As my post says–“the cleaner the better” but better to eat white bread and PB@J than miss a meal.
He wouldn’t have to re-learn it seeing as he is the one asking the question.
Lots of kids grew up on white bread before the current ‘health craze’ and quite honestly we are fatter now than ever. Most people know how to eat right , they just choose not to, wether that is due to convenience or laziness or whatever.