170-175lb

No pump:
Arms(flexed): L/R 13.6"/13.3"
Arms(relaxed): L/R 12.5"/12"
Calves: 17.2" Both
Neck: 14.5"
Waist: 30-31" Relaxed?
Quads: 22.5" both

Right handed, dont know why left is bigger.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
H: 6’4"
W: 190
Arm: 14" cold (I’ve never measured it pumped, does it really make a difference?)[/quote]

Not trying to be a dick, but probably not for you. You may get .5 inches at the most off the flexed measurements. I BELIEVE that the more muscle you had there, the more size you would gain from a pump, although I could be wrong about that, it would make sense if it was true. Someone with 20 inch arms may be able to pump those to 22-23, where as I only get .5-.75 inches.

About 16-16.5 inches depending on my carb intake.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:

Right handed, dont know why left is bigger.[/quote]

When I was a few years younger I was the same way, and it made no sense to me. Right hand was stronger, right bicep was a bit smaller. But, thats when I was completly untrained, my right leads my left by .25 now.

Just measured for the first time… sad.

205 lbs
Arms: 15" cold :frowning:
Neck: 17"
Calf: 14.5" teeny tiny!
Quad: 24.5"
Forearm: 13.5" (Funny, my forearms look meaty compared to my upperarm but they’re still small as shit!)

I honestly don’t know how I’ve gotten so heavy and still have pool noodle arms. I’m definitely a “torso man”. I think last I measured my chest was about 44". I don’t know if that’s any good.

6’
180lbs
15"

So you are telling me that anyone that can deadlift (without straps) a decent weight - say above 300lbs, can chin up/ pull up with decent weight strapped around them and maybe do a set d.c. style if conventional sets are to easy, and bench press, dip a decent weight is gonna have small arms - either they are cheating alot or talking crap, or training their guns to much. How is it possible, unless you have very poor genetics to not have your arms grow gradually and steadily while progress on big exercices?

As for chest/back dominating push pull, just let it be. May be alter hand positioning to narrower on bench for example.

Sometimes on this site i feel i’m talking to children. I have to explain things sothoroughly or else people get wrong idea or dont understand etc etc. Do people not just get the jist of thing.

And for everyone that says you must do direct arm work to get from 12 inch to 15 inch guns. Bull. If you read through articles/ books from many authors with completely different views they say the average neophyte does far to much isolation work(Tate, CW,DC, Mentzer, McRobert, even arnold in his encyclopedia says for an ectomorph trying to grow to avoid to much arm work, the list goes on.3 sets of thick bar curls ain’t gonna hurt you much. And a specialization program on arms may add a few eighths of an inch here and there. But it aint gonna give you arnolds arms. Otherwise we’d all know about it and have 20 inch guns and leave this site.

[quote]azza30 wrote:
So you are telling me that anyone that can deadlift (without straps) a decent weight - say above 300lbs, can chin up/ pull up with decent weight strapped around them and maybe do a set d.c. style if conventional sets are to easy, and bench press, dip a decent weight is gonna have small arms - either they are cheating alot or talking crap, or training their guns to much. How is it possible, unless you have very poor genetics to not have your arms grow gradually and steadily while progress on big exercices?

As for chest/back dominating push pull, just let it be. May be alter hand positioning to narrower on bench for example.

Sometimes on this site i feel i’m talking to children. I have to explain things sothoroughly or else people get wrong idea or dont understand etc etc. Do people not just get the jist of thing.

And for everyone that says you must do direct arm work to get from 12 inch to 15 inch guns. Bull. If you read through articles/ books from many authors with completely different views they say the average neophyte does far to much isolation work(Tate, CW,DC, Mentzer, McRobert, even arnold in his encyclopedia says for an ectomorph trying to grow to avoid to much arm work, the list goes on.3 sets of thick bar curls ain’t gonna hurt you much. And a specialization program on arms may add a few eighths of an inch here and there. But it aint gonna give you arnolds arms. Otherwise we’d all know about it and have 20 inch guns and leave this site. [/quote]

80% compound, 20% isolation ftw!

[quote]azza30 wrote:

And for everyone that says you must do direct arm work to get from 12 inch to 15 inch guns. Bull. If you read through articles/ books from many authors with completely different views they say the average neophyte does far to much isolation work(Tate, CW,DC, Mentzer, McRobert, even arnold in his encyclopedia says for an ectomorph trying to grow to avoid to much arm work, the list goes on.3 sets of thick bar curls ain’t gonna hurt you much. And a specialization program on arms may add a few eighths of an inch here and there. But it aint gonna give you arnolds arms. Otherwise we’d all know about it and have 20 inch guns and leave this site. [/quote]

Talking to children? You are coming up with random rules about when someone is supposed to train arms directly…and it’s bullshit. There is a huge fucking difference between “doing too much isolation work” and doing ENOUGH.

Most of the people running around telling everyone what they shouldn’t train aren’t even carrying that much muscle mass. Any pictures of your own arms?

I don’t leave out training certain body parts like that and never did. Most of the people with impressive arms did NOT avoid training them as beginners.

You are an “article jocky”. You feel as if telling us what some other author wrote makes you superior, and the rest of us “children”.

Experience beats those articles, and actually walking around with big arms that you built makes you more of an expert on how to build them than the guy with much smaller arms who seems to think they have it all figured out from whatever article they read.

People like you think in extremes. For some reason, you believe that when someone says TRAIN YOUR ARMS DIRECTLY that this means only do curls in the gym from now on.

Only children think like that.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:

80% compound, 20% isolation ftw!

[/quote]

Honestly, these number rules are just funny. What if I claimed “70%/20%”? Will newbies run around the internet and spread that like fact?

No one even used to separate the exercises like that (and most serious trainers still don’t). You did what worked. If that involved squats, leg presses and leg extensions, so be it. No one worried about whether the damned exercises were 80% “compound”.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
J I’m definitely a “torso man”. I think last I measured my chest was about 44". I don’t know if that’s any good.[/quote]

I’ve always noticed that some people develop torsos first, and have to work at their arms while others have their arms just grow overnight, and then have to work around them to get any chest or back growth. My background before the weights included martial arts, boxing, and throwing shotput. So even though I didn’t workout until I was 20 (weighed 150 lbs at 5’9), my arms started out at 14", which I thought was pretty damn small until I read some stats on here. I can only assume it’s from the other stuff I did. I will note though, that because my shoulders and tris were alays pretty strong, I had to bust my ass for any chest development, and will always view it as a weak point.

S

Just thought I’d join in: :wink:

5’8"
180 lbs
arms= cold= 15.75" (16.5" flexed, a lil better)
Neck= 16"
Calves= 15.25" (yuck)
Quads= 23.5"
Waist= 31"

I try not to be judgemental on training techniques, but I just don’t understand this whole “only do compound exercises” mentality. Just from my own exerperience, I have found that my arms recover far faster than my larger muscle groups. My back responds best to heavy weight and a recovery period of a full week, but my biceps are ready to go in about three days and seem to grow best with heavy weight and frequency. Hence, I “reward” myself at the end of the week with an arm day. Just seems silly to me to not give them the growth stimulus of of iso’s just because I haven’t reached 17" yet.

6`4"
235 lbs
17 inches flexed

5’9"
192 lbs
Age 36
Arms 13.5"(15")
Calf 15"
Neck 15.5"

Arms up 3/4" in 6 weeks after adding 3 direct arm workouts per week and adding calories.

As noted in other threads, my project this summer is increased arm size/strength-- ie. LOTS of DIRECT arm work.

The ProfX speaketh the truth.

Yeah, I can’t fathom the notion for no direct arm work.

If you want to enlarge a muscle you need to put stress on it. It can be accomplished through compound and isolation movement. Why neglect one method when combining would be your best option.

Now for the general fitness population (I think this is how the whole idea got way overblown), isolation work isn’t necessary much if any.

[quote]azza30 wrote:

I think it varies depending on the person. It is rather narrow minded to assume all lifters arms will grow by performing compound lifts and avoiding direct arm work.

My lifting stats far exceed all your criteria for having 17 inch arms. My arm size has not changed at all until I started training them 3x per week. Most of the people I have seen with any decent size on their arms spend a good amount of time doing direct arm work.

Maybe you are right and I have the worlds worst genetics but, besides regurgitating what you read on this site where is your own real world proof?

A beginner who has zero lifting experience will most likley notice an initial increase in arm size at the start of a program that involves deads and pullups etc. In my experience that progress will stall after the first couple months. It does not mean they will not benefit from direct arm work. Heck, an untrained person will notice an increase in leg size from cycling does this mean cyclists should avoid leg training?

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Professor X wrote:
dakotah_13 wrote:
6’
204lbs.
arm: 17 3/4 unflexed, just over 18 cold-flexed

i think for this thread, and this site there should be both measurements, the difference shows us roughly how much fat the person is lugging around…

No, it doesn’t. You wouldn’t know a thing about how much fat someone is carrying without a picture regardless of what measurements you look at.

If someone has 24 inch arms flexed and relaxed, then they’re probably pretty fat. [/quote]

exactly. you cant flex fat… sadly for a lot of people, measure flexed or relaxed, it doesnt matter

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Yeah, I can’t fathom the notion for no direct arm work.

If you want to enlarge a muscle you need to put stress on it. It can be accomplished through compound and isolation movement. Why neglect one method when combining would be your best option.

Now for the general fitness population (I think this is how the whole idea got way overblown), isolation work isn’t necessary much if any.[/quote]

No, the idea got overblown because doing heavy squats and deads CAN cause higher growth in the whole body due to the boost in anabolic hormones - this was misinterpreted somehow by someone that didnt think that you needed to stimulate hypertrophy even if flooded with testosterone. Or that the stimulation by rows and presses is enough.

It IS enough for growth mind you - just not the sort of proportions a bodybuilder strives for, which are honestly unproportionally large arms/bodyparts (physiologically speaking - not aesthetically obviously).

In that more often than not, higher loads/volume/intensity/overload needs to be employed on a bodypart (arms/chest/gastroc/serratus!) not because it isnt strong enough (a physiological advantage) but because it isnt big enough (often a physiological disadvantage - with muscle being highly metabolic)

This is not a snide remark at bodybuilders/bodybuilding or anything like that by the way!

Joe

[quote]azza30 wrote:
So you are telling me that anyone that can deadlift (without straps) a decent weight - say above 300lbs, can chin up/ pull up with decent weight strapped around them and maybe do a set d.c. style if conventional sets are to easy, and bench press, dip a decent weight is gonna have small arms - either they are cheating alot or talking crap, or training their guns to much. How is it possible, unless you have very poor genetics to not have your arms grow gradually and steadily while progress on big exercices?[/quote]

Depending on your definitions of “decent weight” for the listed exercises, I’d be willing to bet a lot of the people in this thread with under 17" arms meet your criteria, and while I can’t speak for the others, I know I haven’t done much direct arm work BECAUSE I was only doing “big” movements after reading much of the same stuff you are paraphrasing in this thread. My gigantic 14 inch arms are my prize for not doing direct arm work.

130lbs
5’6
11 relaxed