What's Your Weight & Arm Measurement?

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
I am involved in both and in bodybuilding it is about proportions, the arm - when flexed, should be the same size as the calf and neck…
[/quote]

I didn’t know this, but it’s a worthy goal (for me, anyway).

Along these lines, it seems that the latest bodybuilders’ proportions are much different than the classic yesteryear physiques.

Have the ‘ideal’ proportions changed, or is it that the BBers seem much bigger and it’s more an illusion (eg seems like mid-sections have gotten thicker)?

I’d be interested in seeing the ideal proportions listed by year or decade for the past few decades.

5’10"
200lbs

5’10"
190lbs
14"bicep
16"calf
16.5" neck

Who knew not curling all that time I was training to be an athlete would leave my arms lagging.

6’ 187 lbs

16.25 flexed (14.5 unflexed)

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Joe Joseph wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Why would you measure unflexed?

why would you measure flexed?

do you flex your calf when measuring it? thighs, waist, chest, etc?

again though, I’m coming from a fitness based background, I’m not big into the BB scene, is that how they normally measure an arm?

Then why are you here?

In bodybuilding the arm is measured flexed… however like you cannot see why that is the case, those who only know about bodybuilding methods of health and fitness, cannot see why you wouldnt flex it to measure!

I am involved in both and in bodybuilding it is about proportions, the arm - when flexed, should be the same size as the calf and neck…

Fitness wise… measurements are taken from the fully relaxed LHS of the body i believe. It isnt about muscle size - it is about girth measurements for fat assessment. If someone has a18" arm and is overweight you know its fat, if they have an 18" arm and are stacked… it isnt. But we would never need to compare the size of any bodyparts other than waist and hips.

Joe

Good post. An unflexed arm would tell you nothing about how much of a peak you have in that muscle group. Every measurement ever read of a bodybuilder is done with the arm flexed.

Why do people jump into bodybuilding forums to CHANGE bodybuilding standards or insert some “fitness” perspective?
[/quote]

I’m not trying to change anything. I simply wanted a means to compare my arm size to others (and to compare I wanted to know unflexed), again because that is how we walk around, so comparing my arm size flexed would be worthless (I’m just trying to get a comparison going on).

I by no means meant to imply BB are dumb for doing it that way and that it should be changed.

Why do people jump into bodybuilding forums to CHANGE bodybuilding standards or insert some “fitness” perspective?
[/quote]

Why are you assuming that people want to CHANGE bodybuilding standards or insert some “fitness” perspective into it? It sounds like jehovas just happened to pick an unflexed arm for measurement without giving it much thought beyond that.

You have some weird paranoia that there’s a grand conspiracy to turn bodybuilding into something that involves bosu balls for every workout.

I love this!!! Some of the people that have dissed me for slating modern bodybuilding, the information overload etc etc, have posted on hear with 14 inch guns!!! Just about strong enough to curl their ipod, and front raise their hair brush.

Advice if you have 13 - 14 inch guns at 185 pounds. Start doing chin ups/ pull - ups 5 x5, dips, then add weight slowly. Do overhead pressing and rowing. Use a thick bar as well. You do not need some super tempo all angle what ever what ever - If you can chin up with at least 20 kilos strapped on you your arms have to grow. No question.

well, just did a cold flexed measurement

to azza- I do chins, dips, OH presses and rowing thanks :wink:

5’11
208 lbs
17" neck
17" calf
17 1/8" left arm
16 7/8" right arm

My right arm is stronger but my left arm has always been about 1/4 of an inch bigger, not sure why. Kinda bugs me though.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

to azza- I do chins, dips, OH presses and rowing thanks ;)[/quote]

ok. then add weight to your chins and dips. slowly. stop training arms directly as well for a while and train everything else hard. Forget about biceps/triceps routines until you are advanced or near. 12 sets curling around 40 pound in each arm is just taking away recovery abilities. Concentrate on the big hard exercises first. having 185 plus poundage through your arms on chins/ dips they have to grow.

[quote]azza30 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

to azza- I do chins, dips, OH presses and rowing thanks :wink:

ok. then add weight to your chins and dips. slowly. stop training arms directly as well for a while and train everything else hard. Forget about biceps/triceps routines until you are advanced or near. 12 sets curling around 40 pound in each arm is just taking away recovery abilities. Concentrate on the big hard exercises first. having 185 plus poundage through your arms on chins/ dips they have to grow.[/quote]

No offense to you and I’m not taking sides so don’t take this that way. Just because someone doesn’t have the biggest arms ever doesn’t mean he’s not doing what he should be to get there. I see these statements crop up without a request for the advice.

This is the same as someone posting BW info and then being told “eat more, you’re not big enough” without knowing how many calories they are already consuming. There are more factors to the equation than that. Years training being the biggest factor.

I don’t remember seeing him post (if so please let me know) that his arm routine. So why are you assuming he’s doing 12 set of 40?

cueball

[quote]azza30 wrote:
I love this!!! Some of the people that have dissed me for slating modern bodybuilding, the information overload etc etc, have posted on hear with 14 inch guns!!! Just about strong enough to curl their ipod, and front raise their hair brush.

Advice if you have 13 - 14 inch guns at 185 pounds. Start doing chin ups/ pull - ups 5 x5, dips, then add weight slowly. Do overhead pressing and rowing. Use a thick bar as well. You do not need some super tempo all angle what ever what ever - If you can chin up with at least 20 kilos strapped on you your arms have to grow. No question.[/quote]

Yes, let’s not mention arm exercises when the goal is bigger arms.

5’8
203 lbs down from 215 a month ago

16 and 1 eight inch biceps
twig baby calves like 15 inches and a my hip measurements glutes included obviously
42 inches

I have a long way to go before I’m anywhere near good. 19 inch arms would be nice thats the shortlong term goal

Agreed with the comment on peak. I’m at 170 right now and they are 13 cold and to my side, yet when flexed get to be 15.5.

azza30 wrote:

Advice if you have 13 - 14 inch guns at 185 pounds. Start doing chin ups/ pull - ups 5 x5, dips, then add weight slowly. Do overhead pressing and rowing. Use a thick bar as well. You do not need some super tempo all angle what ever what ever - If you can chin up with at least 20 kilos strapped on you your arms have to grow. No question.

Yes, let’s not mention arm exercises when the goal is bigger arms.[/quote]

Ya I definately love how direct arm work always gets bashed when no pro bodybuilder developed his/her arms with compound movements alone. The barbell curl has become one of the most underrated exercises around and that’s bullshit. I guess in the end, to each his own, but i guarenteee nobody who doesn’t do direct arm work will hit the 20" mark, and I’m talking a solid 20"'s not someone measuring there fatceps.

[quote]azza30 wrote:

Advice if you have 13 - 14 inch guns at 185 pounds. Start doing chin ups/ pull - ups 5 x5, dips, then add weight slowly. Do overhead pressing and rowing. Use a thick bar as well. You do not need some super tempo all angle what ever what ever - If you can chin up with at least 20 kilos strapped on you your arms have to grow. No question.[/quote]

I can do 5 chins or 5 dips with a 45lb plate. and i have the smallest arms posted. (given, im 17, and have trained 6 months) but still kinda disproves that theory. 45lbs is just over 20 kilos. Then again, i weigh 160 with 13’s.

Ah prof x. Nice to speak again!!!

Follow my training advice til you have at least 17 inch guns, then go add some direct arm work.
Also, those that say things like 'pro’s never used isolation movements to build their arms did they!?

Well they have well above average recovery genetics to become pro’s in the first place. Do not kid yourself that you can make pro like gains if you haven’t got the genetics first. An achievement of 17 inch arms is great for the average 99% of the population. Thinking otherwise will just make you divert your efforts into the more is better world that just doesn’t work.

And for the 17 year old. Time my friend. Time. try 5 x 5, and just wait and have patience.

[quote]azza30 wrote:

Follow my training advice til you have at least 17 inch guns, then go add some direct arm work.
Also, those that say things like 'pro’s never used isolation movements to build their arms did they!?

Well they have well above average recovery genetics to become pro’s in the first place. Do not kid yourself that you can make pro like gains if you haven’t got the genetics first. An achievement of 17 inch arms is great for the average 99% of the population. Thinking otherwise will just make you divert your efforts into the more is better world that just doesn’t work.

And for the 17 year old. Time my friend. Time. try 5 x 5, and just wait and have patience.

[/quote]

You sound like an underachiever.

[quote]azza30 wrote:

[/quote]

Honestly, stop giving that advice. There is no reason on Earth for someone to avoid direct arm work until they have 17" arms.

First, most people will have a hard time even getting arms that big, especially since this site has been overrun with “fitness” trainers who can’t figure out if they actually want to gain muscle mass or run a triathelon. That is why most of the people in this thread have arms under 16".

If you want big arms TRAIN EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR FUCKING ARMS.

That means directly and indirectly.

Further, to anyone else, ask for a picture of the guys telling you to avoid all direct biceps work. You may just notice that most of the people recommending complete avoidance of this muscle group aren’t exactly stretching too many T-shirt sleeves themselves.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
azza30 wrote:

You sound like an underachiever.
[/quote]

hahaha thats exactly what I thought. genetics only goes so far forget about genetics only people that dont push them selves cry genetics. Anyone can get huge it takes time effort and proper dieting. Then possibly depending on the person gear.