What's Your Weight & Arm Measurement?

Why would you measure unflexed?

[quote]Defekt wrote:
Why would you measure unflexed? [/quote]

why would you measure flexed?

do you flex your calf when measuring it? thighs, waist, chest, etc?

again though, I’m coming from a fitness based background, I’m not big into the BB scene, is that how they normally measure an arm?

Height, 5’9
Weight 196.5 (cutting down from ~205)
Arms 18"
Calves 17"
Jacket Size 48

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Height, 5’9
Weight 196.5 (cutting down from ~205)
Arms 18"
Calves 17"
Jacket Size 48

S
[/quote]

tell me that’s flexed? if not, that’s damn impressive at your weight. I still think its impressive either way

Height 6’0
Weight 220-225
Arms 17.5"
Calves 18"

Damn Stu, that is mighty. I can see your BF is lower than mine, so if I lowered mine I would probably lose some of that size!

I think it’s pretty much universally accepted that any measurement is the first flex of an unpumped muscle.

5’11, 210-215

16" arms
18" calves
18" neck

I’ve read that equal measurements of those three is a classic asthetic goal. Yes, my arms are lacking.

height 6’1
weight 175 lbs
arms 14.5"
Waist 30"

Arms are ALWAYS measured flexed. If you’re on a bodybuilding website, it should be common knowledge.

195lbs
6’ft
18in flexed

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Defekt wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, except waist.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Defekt wrote:

Yes, except waist.[/quote]

Dude… what the hell.

I ALWAYS flex my waist.

cueball wrote:
Just curious but why relaxed measurement? The arm is by default measured flexed at 90° from torso. Again, just curious.

cueball

standard measurement in the fitness field, is the arm in a relaxed state.
Besides, we don’t walk around with our arms flexed.

arm out by the side, parallel to the floor

every other body part is measured relaxed, why do some people flex the arm? for an ego boost?[/quote]

Its just how bodybuilders do it, how they did it from the beginning.

I would NEVER ask a client to flex for me to measure their arm! Most of them may have nothing to flex!

Defekt wrote:

again though, I’m coming from a fitness based background, I’m not big into the BB scene, is that how they normally measure an arm?[/quote]

Then why are you here?

In bodybuilding the arm is measured flexed… however like you cannot see why that is the case, those who only know about bodybuilding methods of health and fitness, cannot see why you wouldnt flex it to measure!

I am involved in both and in bodybuilding it is about proportions, the arm - when flexed, should be the same size as the calf and neck…

Fitness wise… measurements are taken from the fully relaxed LHS of the body i believe. It isnt about muscle size - it is about girth measurements for fat assessment. If someone has a18" arm and is overweight you know its fat, if they have an 18" arm and are stacked… it isnt. But we would never need to compare the size of any bodyparts other than waist and hips.

Joe

my weight is 75kg and my arm size is 13
any new idea’s for increase the arm size and chest size.

200lb
7" relaxed.

Oh wait, you meant arm size. Not sure about relaxed, but 16.25" flexed, which is the only way you should be measuring it. And yes, I would think everyone flexes their thighs and calves before measuring those.

Another reason for measuring arms flexed is to see the biceps’ peak. Can’t have a peak when you don’t flex.

5’11" 197lbs
14.25" flexed

Small and weak, but I only started a few months ago.

5’11" 225 lbs starting to lean down.
Arms 19.5 flexed
calf 18
neck 17
chest 50.5
thight 27.5

cueball wrote:
Just curious but why relaxed measurement? The arm is by default measured flexed at 90° from torso. Again, just curious.

cueball

standard measurement in the fitness field, is the arm in a relaxed state.
Besides, we don’t walk around with our arms flexed.

arm out by the side, parallel to the floor

every other body part is measured relaxed, why do some people flex the arm? for an ego boost?[/quote]

Well, looks like others have responded in a similar manner I would have about this so I won’t. I do understand your point of view though.

Anyway:

6’1"
185lbs
15.25 relaxed, 16.75 flexed

cueball

yeah, I guess it depends on who is doing the measuring.

It’d be nice though to have one set standard across the board

I just wanted to stipulate for this thread, so I knew that I was comparing apples to apples[/quote]

So why change what has been a standard for so long?

The measurement is taken FLEXED in bodybuilding. Why change this?

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Defekt wrote:

again though, I’m coming from a fitness based background, I’m not big into the BB scene, is that how they normally measure an arm?

Then why are you here?

In bodybuilding the arm is measured flexed… however like you cannot see why that is the case, those who only know about bodybuilding methods of health and fitness, cannot see why you wouldnt flex it to measure!

I am involved in both and in bodybuilding it is about proportions, the arm - when flexed, should be the same size as the calf and neck…

Fitness wise… measurements are taken from the fully relaxed LHS of the body i believe. It isnt about muscle size - it is about girth measurements for fat assessment. If someone has a18" arm and is overweight you know its fat, if they have an 18" arm and are stacked… it isnt. But we would never need to compare the size of any bodyparts other than waist and hips.

Joe[/quote]

Good post. An unflexed arm would tell you nothing about how much of a peak you have in that muscle group. Every measurement ever read of a bodybuilder is done with the arm flexed.

Why do people jump into bodybuilding forums to CHANGE bodybuilding standards or insert some “fitness” perspective?