T Nation

What's Your Take on Multivitamins?

I haven’t been taking multivitamins for the past 6-8 months. Don’t really feel any different. It usually depends on my diet. It’s sometimes hard to get all the different veggies and meat which all got different vitamins and minerals in them. I do take an antioxidant mix like Elitepro Minerals or Hydra-Charge once a day with one serving of BCAA and L-Glutamine mixed together and drink it throughout the whole day with water. I do feel more hydrated and have slightly better muscle recovery. I also take ZMA before bed which is Zinc, Vitamin B6, and Magnesium.

What are your guys take on multivitamins? I read a lot of articles online including T-Nation with so many conflicting information. The only reason I would take a multivitamin would to be healthier and also maybe increase my performace at the gym and muscle recovery. Is it all bullshit or is there some truth to it? I think maybe the more expensive organic multivitamin would do something helpful but it’s crazy expensive for a month serving (Garden of Life etc).

I think multivitamins may help, but aren’t necessary if you eat a whole food, balanced diet. I think that vitamin D and fish oil are the two supplements that most people will benefit from. That said, I usually take a multi-vit.

I think GoL brand may be fine, but I think they are mostly fancy packaging and branding, and wouldn’t shell out that much for a multi vitamin. I use this one, which is cheaper but seems to work well for me:

2 Likes

Get all you need from real food. You are probably not eating enough of the right foods anyway. Most of us aren’t. There is a reason they call them supplements.
If you are worried have your blood tested and add a food or if that is impossible add a supplement or two. Good luck.

1 Like

I only have vit. D and C on my shelf.

Zinc and Vit D are the main ones people lack.

I take a multi and ZMA.

I know there are studies point to multivitamins being not terribly useful. But, none of us eat a perfect diet 100% of the time, multi is cheap, and it might help, and certainly can’t hurt.

Maybe anecdotal, maybe placebo effect, IDK. But I definitely feel better, stronger, more virile when I’m taking ZMA regularly.

ZMA definitely helps me too. I always get better sleep and energy the next morning after taking ZMA before bed.

Excess vitamins can hurt. Fat soluble vitamins and minerals stay in the body for months and can be toxic. Don’t take more than 1 a day.

1 Like

I take a multi vit, glucosamine and fish oil. I never really noticed a difference in the multi but I figure it’s better to be getting that stuff than not so.