What's Your Pet-Peeve ?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
People with no avatars.

Hella ghey.[/quote]

Guys who say ‘hella.’

For some reason most of my pet-peeves seem to revolve around language misuse. I can’t stand:

People who misuse “penultimate.”

People who mispronounce “epitome.”

People who misspell “voila” (or any other word, for that matter) on internet forums.

People who walk their dogs without leashes. Inevitably, these unleashed dogs run away from their owners and try to start a fight with my dogs (who are leashed), while their hapless and unresponsible owners try desperately and unsuccessfully to call them back. This really peeves me.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:

People who misspell “voila” (or any other word, for that matter) on internet forums.
[/quote]

How many times is voila being used on internet forums? And who is misspelling it?

Did you know misspell is one of the most commonly misspelled words? Booyah!

Dog owners who let their dogs take huge steaming shits in public areas (especially where kids play) and don’t clean up.

Yeah dipshit, I’m looking at you. You know who you are…

The dishwasher is empty yet people still place their dishes in the sink. WTF?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
ctschneider wrote:

How many times is voila being used on internet forums? And who is misspelling it?
[/quote]

Well it’s used a whole hell of a lot more than you’d think. Here are just a few examples:

Fourth post down:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/grow_whey_mix

Second post down:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/ectomorph_with_gastritis

First post:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/staying_strong_injury_free

Fourth post:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/tnation_alphabet_soup

I’m sure there are more, but I didn’t really feel like searching for every damn phonetic permutation of “voila.” I don’t know why, but these phonetic bastardizations of the word really irk me. I guess people just have trouble spelling borrowed French words. Oh well, say la vee.

Err… I mean c’est la vie.

[quote]ignignokt wrote:
Dog owners who let their dogs take huge steaming shits in public areas (especially where kids play) and don’t clean up.

Yeah dipshit, I’m looking at you. You know who you are…[/quote]

Dude, I have a guy on my block who lets his dog shit on the grass on the sidewalk every day and never cleans it up. It drives me crazy.

What’s the proper procedure for dealing with this? My first instinct is to pick up the crap for him and throw it as his house but something tells me that won’t get me what I want.

The sound of chewing makes me grit my teeth.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
ignignokt wrote:

Dude, I have a guy on my block who lets his dog shit on the grass on the sidewalk every day and never cleans it up. It drives me crazy.

What’s the proper procedure for dealing with this? My first instinct is to pick up the crap for him and throw it as his house but something tells me that won’t get me what I want.[/quote]

That’s definitely the wrong way to go about it. You can’t just throw it at his house. You have to smear it all over - otherwise he’ll never get the message.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
Guys who use smiley faces.

Ghey.

Aw…why do you gotta hate? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

You know it’s funny, after I made the thread calling guys who use smiley faces gay I started using smiley faces. Although I do try to use sparingly.

:wink:

Vegita wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

Ghey.

Guys who are too insecure to use smiley faces :wink:

Bungholios!

V

Lol, what the hell does bungholios mean? Isn’t that what Beavis used to rant in Beavis and Butthead?[/quote]

Yes, Beavis would often spit out several bungholios right after he went through his channeling of The Great Cornholio, who incidentally, needed T P for his bunghole.

V

LankyMofo wrote:
ignignokt wrote:

What’s the proper procedure for dealing with this? My first instinct is to pick up the crap for him and throw it as his house but something tells me that won’t get me what I want.

That’s definitely the wrong way to go about it. You can’t just throw it at his house. You have to smear it all over - otherwise he’ll never get the message.[/quote]

Haha, nice. Sounds messy.

LankyMofo wrote:
ignignokt wrote:

That’s definitely the wrong way to go about it. You can’t just throw it at his house. You have to smear it all over - otherwise he’ll never get the message.[/quote]

LOL! That’s good.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, this is number two on my list. You must be talking about people at work? I work with the same douche bags.

I’m going to start throwing dishes in the garbage when I find them in the sink.

[quote]ignignokt wrote:
jchenky wrote:

Yes, this number two on my list. You must be talking about people at work? I work with the same douche bags.

I’m going to start throwing dishes in the garbage when I find them in the sink.[/quote]

It really is annoying.

Another pet peeve. People clipping their nails in public.

Probably people that workout in Tap-Out shirts.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
ignignokt wrote:

What’s the proper procedure for dealing with this? My first instinct is to pick up the crap for him and throw it as his house but something tells me that won’t get me what I want.[/quote]

With careful technique you could inconspicuously put it under his car door handle. Make sure you do this on a Friday!

I cant stand bad drivers and people who arent aware of there suroundings.People who just float through space as if no one is around them.Drivers who slow way down or stop for no apperent reason because they are lost or looking for something.idiots who dont hold doors or just walk in front of you without looking first.

Fucking pisses me off.

That possessive pronouns ending in ‘s’ do not use an apostrophe to indicate possession while nouns do, with the exception of ‘one’ when used as a pronoun.

I mean, stylistically, it looks best to follow a noun’s precedence and use an apostrophe for said noun’s pronoun, yet we can’t because it might confuse someone who thinks the pronoun ‘its’ might actually mean ‘it is’ if an apostrophe is tossed into the mix?

Stinkin’ idiots ruin everything.

And why does ‘one’ get an apostrophe? Who says ‘one’ as a pronoun anymore?

“One should not accidentally key one’s own car in the dark.”

Now that just sounds stupid.

(PS: I’m a writer, a badge-wearing grammar Nazi who only accepts mistakes for the sake of style, and my editor hates me)

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Ghey.[/quote]

heheh funny mofo :slight_smile:

oh shit.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:

And why does ‘one’ get an apostrophe? Who says ‘one’ as a pronoun anymore?
[/quote]

To answer that question, you just have to go back about 1100 years or so. The Old English for “one” was “an” which was declined like a strong “-a” or “-o” adjective, the genetive singular of which (at least for masculine and neuter) was declined as “anes.” The pronouns in OE, when declined, changed from their root rather than tacking on an additional syllable. So, the neuter 3rd person singular pronoun “hit” was declined as “hit,hit, his, him” rather than as “hit, hit, hites, hitum” as might be expected.

To determine the root cause of this, you’d have to go back to the proto-indo-european language, since as far as I know all the strongly declined languages of Europe (at least originally) shared this trait among their pronouns.

Centuries later, by the time someone got around to standarizing punctuation, that extra syllable, “-es” had often assimilated into the prior syllable and was no longer pronounced. However, to mark that it had once been there an apostrophe was placed there.

You occasionally see this with weak verbs conjugated in the past tense during the 1700 century (eg. “kicked” would be spelled “kick’d.”)

It should be noted that “one” is not strictly a pronoun, but rather a substantive.