What's your idea of Strong

What do you guys consider “Strong”? This is really open ended, it could be you think 100 push-ups is strong or 800lb squat. It could even mean able to stand and jump onto a 54" platform with a weight vest.

What do you consider will be the point at which you finally say “Hey I am Strong”?

That’s an insanely open ended question and prepare yourself for the can of warms you just opened :slight_smile:

Personally when I hit any of these, I’ll consider myself strong:

500lbs conventional deadlift
400lbs Back Squat or 315 Front Squat
245 Power Clean
An Iron Cross

Modest goals, but strong for me.

[quote]combatreadyss wrote:
What do you guys consider “Strong”? This is really open ended, it could be you think 100 push-ups is strong or 800lb squat. It could even mean able to stand and jump onto a 54" platform with a weight vest.

What do you consider will be the point at which you finally say “Hey I am Strong”?[/quote]

1.5 x bodyweight bench press
2 x bodyweight squat
2.5 x bodyweight deadlift

Doing stuff like chopping firewood at 70+

Very open ended but for me its when a BB goes into serious cut mode. I am always left in awe of how those guys fight to keep the weight heavy despite feeling much weaker

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

What do you consider will be the point at which you finally say “Hey I am Strong”?[/quote]

2 x bodyweight squat
2.5 x bodyweight deadlift[/quote]

That’s basically where my #'s come from.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

2 x bodyweight squat

That’s basically where my #'s come from. [/quote]

Nice! I think it’s fair to say that most who get those numbers will have a decent amount of muscle gained along with that strength.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

2 x bodyweight squat

Pretty spot on. The next level is freak but that’s another thread.

That line keeps moving for me (and probably for tons of you guys). I used to think a 400 deadlift and a 300 bench were strong. Now I think a 600 deadlift and a 400 bench are strong. Once I get those I’ll probably think you have to have a 700 deadlift and a 450 bench to be strong. Basically strong always seems like heavier weights than I can do, so I guess I’ll never be strong by my own metric. Kinda depressing when I think of it that way…

[quote]csulli wrote:
That line keeps moving for me (and probably for tons of you guys). I used to think a 400 deadlift and a 300 bench were strong. Now I think a 600 deadlift and a 400 bench are strong. Once I get those I’ll probably think you have to have a 700 deadlift and a 450 bench to be strong. Basically strong always seems like heavier weights than I can do, so I guess I’ll never be strong by my own metric. Kinda depressing when I think of it that way…[/quote]

I can totally relate to that. When I first started training I thought that if I could get to the size of Brad Pitt in Fight Club (I know, I know) or Guy Pierce in Memento I’d be satisfied. I watched Memento with my girlfriend a few years ago and mentioned this and she was like “Uh, you’re bigger than he is…”

As you get stronger, you compare yourself to stronger guys and wish you could be that strong. As you get bigger, you look at bigger guys and wish you could be that big.

Strangely though as I get older I look at younger guys and think “man you’re a bunch of dicks”

[quote]csulli wrote:
That line keeps moving for me (and probably for tons of you guys). I used to think a 400 deadlift and a 300 bench were strong. Now I think a 600 deadlift and a 400 bench are strong. Once I get those I’ll probably think you have to have a 700 deadlift and a 450 bench to be strong. Basically strong always seems like heavier weights than I can do, so I guess I’ll never be strong by my own metric. Kinda depressing when I think of it that way…[/quote]

That would be my response, until I can lift 1kg more than I did today, I’m not strong. Rinse and repeat. It’s not depressing, it’s motivational.

To put numbers on it though, I won’t feel like anything special until I bench 3 plates, squat 200kg, and pull 220kg. Considering there’s people out there lifting twice that weight, even then I won’t consider myself strong.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Most people who train can’t bench 400 to 450 or deadlift 600 to 700 and never will. A natural who benches 400 and deadlifts 600 is VERY strong!

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

2 x bodyweight squat

Those are the goals that I first set for myself along with 20 consecutive chin-ups, but if I am honest when I am in the gym I consider strong in absolutes, more than percentages. 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat, 5 plate dead I would prob consider strong by most standards. There are a lot stronger but if you can do that you are probably in the top 10% of people.

2xbw bench
2.5bw squat
3xbw deadlift
1.5xbw MP
20 strict deadhang pullups(brief pause at the bottom and chest to the bar)

Guys who can do this are definetely strong as shit.

Now if we are talking complete badass status I would also add in

Being able to run a 3k in less than 10 minutes
Sprint a 100m in less than 11 secs
Standing long jump of 3m or more

I realize that some of these dont go well together though.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

2 x bodyweight squat

That’s basically where my #'s come from. [/quote]
Singles or for reps?

My personal goals are-

1.5xbw x5 bench/row
2xbw x5 squat
1xbw x5 OHP
3xbw x5 deadlift
20+ chin-ups, 1.5xbw x5 chin-up
60+ push-ups, 5+ reps of push-ups with 100lb+ on my back.
7 min or under mile. 15 min or under 2 miles.
Ideally keeping bw under 165.

Some are considerably easier than the others, but if I can get those then I will be very happy. Hopefully I get all those within the next two or so years.

[quote]magick wrote:
My personal goals are-

1.5xbw x5 bench/row
2xbw x5 squat
1xbw x5 OHP
3xbw x5 deadlift
7 min or under mile. 13 min or under 2 miles.

Some are considerably easier than the others, but if I can get those then I will be very happy. Hopefully I get all those within the next two or so years.[/quote]

Go ahead and join the USMC when you do cause you should ace the PFT.

[quote]MWP wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
My personal goals are-

1.5xbw x5 bench/row
2xbw x5 squat
1xbw x5 OHP
3xbw x5 deadlift

Some are considerably easier than the others, but if I can get those then I will be very happy. Hopefully I get all those within the next two or so years.[/quote]

[/quote]

Since USMC or Army JAG is something I am seriously considering, I have extra motivation to try to reach those numbers =D

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]MWP wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
My personal goals are-

1.5xbw x5 bench/row
2xbw x5 squat
1xbw x5 OHP
3xbw x5 deadlift

[/quote]

Since USMC or Army JAG is something I am seriously considering, I have extra motivation to try to reach those numbers =D[/quote]

If your in Cali already, you will not have to travel quite so far to get to boot. Good luck.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

Most people who train can’t bench 400 to 450 or deadlift 600 to 700 and never will. A natural who benches 400 and deadlifts 600 is VERY strong![/quote]

I can :wink:

For me, impressive strength is closer to…

2 x bodyweight bench
2-2.5 x bodyweight squat (I have fucked up knees, this is a struggle for me)
3 x bodyweight deadlift