T Nation

What's Your Career?

I’m just interested in what peoples current careers are and how they ended up there/what they did to get there.

I’m in college, studying business, but not really sure what I want to do with myself…so I’m looking for experiences.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I’m just interested in what peoples current careers are and how they ended up there/what they did to get there.

I’m in college, studying business, but not really sure what I want to do with myself…so I’m looking for experiences.[/quote]

I studied business and information systems (lots of computer science classes). I started off is a junior level programmer but never wanted to stay that way. Now I manage IT projects (mostly software) which was what I wanted to do. Part of finding a good job is knowing what you want to do. I recommend working with your career services department if there is one.

According to filthy moccasin-wearing hippies everywhere, I apparently kill babies and police the third world.

Project Controls

I joined the military after high school and used my GI Bill for college. I majored in Finance but afterwards decided I didn’t want to wear a shirt and tie. Most of the people I work with have Engineering or Construction Management degrees. I started out working overseas for a couple of years and then transferred back stateside.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
According to filthy moccasin-wearing hippies everywhere, I apparently kill babies and police the third world.[/quote]

Don’t forget throwing puppies off cliffs.

I started out pre-med, wanted to be a brain surgeon, but quickly realized I suck at math!

I sell roofing. It’s a great job if you want to work in an environment where you don’t have to worry about tender feelings and being politically correct. I fit in well but I really want his job:

[quote]Contrl wrote:
According to filthy moccasin-wearing hippies everywhere, I apparently kill babies and police the third world.[/quote]

[quote]Contrl wrote:

Military?

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
I studied business and information systems (lots of computer science classes). I started off is a junior level programmer but never wanted to stay that way. Now I manage IT projects (mostly software) which was what I wanted to do. Part of finding a good job is knowing what you want to do. I recommend working with your career services department if there is one.[/quote]

I also studied Information Systems and Business.

Started out in Software sales, progressed into Consulting in business intelligence, and currently am considering throwing it all away and becoming a physiotherapist.

Sometimes i think you will never know what you love until you try some shit you hate.

Recreation Risk Management.

I inspect playgrounds for cities and make sure everything is compliant with current laws. I majored in sports management at college and then got a job in recreation then kind of fell into this.

Bachelors from Arizona State. I’m a sales rep., I sell to home builders so things have been pretty rough as of late but I love the job, lots of freedom and I’m not sitting in front of a desk.

I am a video game designer at Raven Software.

I started out going to school in florida for programming. Soon realized i wasnt very good at math, so i make levels instead.

It pays very well, stock options, stock purchase program, the works.

Which is a major help to fund my Biotest bill.

Fell into T-Nation after first purchasing Scrawny to Brawny by JB, then found his site, joined PN network, and discovered peeps from T-Nation core (like Waterbury) wrote some programs for the PN crowd. Came here and loved the no-nonsense, and… well… testosteronish approach. And the articles of course… love the articles. Always been a fan of keeping in shape, and this site just makes that hobby an obsession, in a good way.

I’m 20, I’m currently in the process of getting enough money to actually go to school.

You know it.

You are what you eat.

What?

Ah, how true.

Mostly I have learned what aspects of jobs I hate, and which ones I enjoy (which also are the ones I excel at).

Currently an IT Reporting Analyst, lumping data into meaningful ways.

I spent 3 years (night school) to get a technical degree in application development. Then kinda jumped from job to job. I have yet to use anything from my schoolin but I hear that is quite common.

I would advocate to you take a hard look at yourself and your personality. Find something you can derive personal satisfaction from.

ditch digger
grunt
tree climber
laborer
[school]
laborer
machine operator
[school]
digital cartographer
[law school & line cook & law clerk]
insurance
reinsurance

[quote]DickBag wrote:
GETSWOLE, im looking for employees.

i will employ you

are you an asshole, thats the only qualification you need.
[/quote]

Were you the guy who was hiring goons?

Have an undergrad degree in Management Information Systems (similar to vbm537) but didn’t find an IS job. Worked in retail through college, so stuck with that, and went to a few different companies in management roles.

Went back to school full time to pursue a degree I love (Sport Management) and don’t regret it one bit. I would rather live on a student budget (like I do now) doing something I love than to make money and not enjoy the kind of work I do.

Agriculture Technology…

Good mix of being lazy and doing lots of easy work on a computer with not being stuck in an office all day. Good benefits and perks.

Do what comes naturally to you.

For example,
if you’re an extrovert, don’t become a programmer or a research scientist - you may need more social interaction.
If you’re a details person, don’t get a job that simply requires high volume output or you may not have enough depth in your work.

Honestly, most people i know have “fallen into” what they’re doing, for better or worse. If you can figure out what you love before that, you’re already ahead.