What's Your 5/3/1 Template Look Like?

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Nojoke, I like the simple routine, and conditioning, but I would try to squeeze in some Pullups-Rows-Face pulls. Your doing ring pushups, so you have some sort of TRX set up. All three exercises I mentioned can be done with this.Try supersetting some light 20 rep sets of the above, in and around some of your pressing.

This is the first time in 5yrs of posting I’ve ever recomended someone adding exercises, I’m the guy saying to get rid of stuff, but in your case I think you need some upper back balance. Anyway goodluck ![/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its funny you say that because my good friend who got me hooked on 5/3/1 had said the say at one point.

Do you recomend implementing those movements on both the pressing days? I do tend to work some pullups in during my pressing days. I have just been a lil lacking on have them as a “routine” lift/movement on those days.

Which type of rows do you recomend? Inverted, or barbell?

Thanks for the post!

Nojoke, here’s what I would personaly do, On your BBB sets of military do sets of pullups inbetween. On your BBB sets of bench do your rows inbetween. Since your a soldier, and have rings I’d do the inverted row for the core, and whole body effect, but any row will work DB, BB or machine, whatever, just stay with whatever you pick, work it progressivly and get strong at it.

For face pulls, I like to put them inbetween my main sets of bench, and military, I actully find I can lift more when I do this, with a pump in my traps and rear delts. None of theses should be killer sets anyway, go for the pump, lots of reps lots of volume, sets of 10-20. Most PLer’s say to train your back like a body builder, it’s a good analogy. I think you’ll find a few months of this will help with your big lifts and posture. Goodluck, and thanks for our safety and freedom :slight_smile:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Nojoke, here’s what I would personaly do, On your BBB sets of military do sets of pullups inbetween. On your BBB sets of bench do your rows inbetween. Since your a soldier, and have rings I’d do the inverted row for the core, and whole body effect, but any row will work DB, BB or machine, whatever, just stay with whatever you pick, work it progressivly and get strong at it.

For face pulls, I like to put them inbetween my main sets of bench, and military, I actully find I can lift more when I do this, with a pump in my traps and rear delts. None of theses should be killer sets anyway, go for the pump, lots of reps lots of volume, sets of 10-20. Most PLer’s say to train your back like a body builder, it’s a good analogy. I think you’ll find a few months of this will help with your big lifts and posture. Goodluck, and thanks for our safety and freedom :)[/quote]

Sounds good. I will implement the inverted rows starting this 3/3/3 week, I have done those before and helped immensly, not sure why I got away from them as an accesory/training tool.

Thanks again for the info, and Thanks for the Thanks in regards to Freedom!

BBB version 2. Can’t do bench press anymore. Shoulders dont like it. Press and dumbells and push ups seem fine, though
Sun- Press 531. Explosive pushups. Krok rows. Face pulls. Whatever arm work I feel like
Mon- Squat 531. DL. Abs. Maybe BW BSS if I feel like it
Wed- DB bench press, 3x5. Press. Pullups. Arms
Thurs- DL 531. Squat. 3 sets of good mornings.Abs

5/3/1 BBB 5x10, 5x5, 5x3, 5xTM. That should wrap up next April. Prowler runs, walks, drags on off days.

Going into my second month of Jim’s Frequency Project

Day 1
Press
Pull-up
Face Pull

Day 2
Deads
Back Raises
Ab Roller

Day 3
Bench
Pull-up
Rear Raises

Day 4
Squat
Back Raises
Ab Roller

Program Overview

â?¢ 2, 5/3/1 Training Cycles per month (no deload)
â?¢ 24 workouts per month
â?¢ Final sets are done for minimal reps only; never go for max reps
â?¢ You have 3 options for every squat, press and bench press workout:

â?¢ Do minimum reps
â?¢ Do minimum reps and a single at your training max.
â?¢ Do minimum reps, a single at your training max and keep working up.
â?¢ Deadlift workouts will be done for minimum reps only. There will be no singles done.

Check out full program here:

www.jimwendler.com/.../uploads/2012/12/frequencyproject.pdf

Could anybody of you post a routine that you personally used for gaining mass?
Except the standard BBB of course I know those templates.

My goal is to use 531 as a kind of powerbuilding training which allows me to gain as much muscle as possible while getting strong like a bull :wink:

It’s going to take atleast a couple months for the kind of strength and mass your talking about :wink:

A couple of years is more like it. Embrace the grind.

Haha of course
I know it takes a lot of time

But nonetheless I would like to see some cool routines forvthat purpose
I already have done most of the bbb templates for several months
Even though you can gain mass with them I feel like there must be better ways to combine strength and hypertrophy
Thats why I asked you guys

Following SVR and love it.
Monday
squat 531 SVR
RDL 3x8-12
abs

tuesday
press 531 SVR
chins 50 reps
floor press or db incline 5x10

thursday
deadlift 531 SVR
zercher/front squat 3x8
abs

friday
bench 531 SVR
row variation 5x10
close grip bench or triceps exercise 5x10

I’m wondering if I’m doing too much…

Mon - squat 531, bench 531, back ext 3x10., db press 3x10, waiters walk

Wed - power clean 531, dead lift 531, kroc rows 3x15, bbb bench 5x10, farmers walk

Fri - front squat 531, press 531, hip thrust 3x10, dips 3x10, suitcase walk

chin ups/pull ups at home

I’ve been experimenting with a Pyramid version of 5/3/1. Basically it looks like this:

Monday:
Squat 5/3/1 two down sets at the two lower percentages. Depending on how I feel after the highest % set I’ll either go w/ prescribed reps or AMRAP on the two down sets.
SUMO DL at Conventional deload %'s also pyramided
GHR
Bulgarian Split Squats

Tuesday:
Inverted Rows
Bench 5/3/1 Pyramid
Weighted Chins
Press Deload Pyramid
Curls Superset w/ Push ups

Wednesday:
Plyo’s and Conditioning

Thursday:
Pull ups
Press 5/3/1 Pyramid
Meadows Rows
Close Grip Paused Bench w/ Pyramid deload %'s
Lateral raises superset w/ dips

Friday:
DL 5\3\1 Pyramid
Front Squat deload Pyramid
weighted back extensions
weighted step ups.

Saturday: Whatever I feel like, if anything

SSS + extra bodybuilding

A: speed work variation of o lifts and med ball work, jumps, sprints I do powercleans at least twice a week

B main lift 5-7 singles or depending on how fast I am, I may add some weight or a 2 board on bench for example. Overload a bit

C: main assistance exactly as programmed in the book

D: extra work as I feel and prehab working on weaknesses

I like template 9 for full body for beginners A LOT. If I were purely doing strength training I would def use it. 1.1 is awesome too

I am going to stick to this till the cycle finishes then switch from the 5x + sets for hypertrophy down to the dogcrapp method with extra prehab

and from there I will probably do variations of this same schedule …

531 with volume for 2-3 cycles
531 with lower volume but higher intensity 2-3 cycles

I think its a good way to go about it… have blocks of higher sets with blocks of low sets, high intensity.

Here is what im running, Have had amazing gains.

Day 1 Bench

Snatch 8 x 2
5/3/1 Bench/Super Set 5 reps of pull ups
Incline Bench 5 x 10/ SS Hammer Rows 5 x 5
Skull Crusher 5 x 10
Ab work
Prowler sprints

Day 2 Legs

PowerClean 8 x 2
Squats 5/3/1
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 5 x 10
Rev Hypers 5 x 10
Ab work

Day 3 off

Day 4

Deadlifts 5/3/1
Weighted pull ups 5 x 5
DB Row 5 x 10
Pedlay Rows 5 x 10
Straight bar curls 5 x10

Day 5

Snatch 8 x 2
Press 5/3/1
Log Press 5 x 5
Hex bar shrugs 5 x 10
Prowler sprints

Thats it

1 Like

Posted mine before, but reworked it a good bit:

Monday

Squat 5x5x75%
Press 531
KB Swings 531

Wednesday

Squat 531
Dips 531
KB Swings 5x10 (24kg)

Friday

Front Squat 531
Press 5x5x75%
Deadlift 531

1. Squats supersetted with inverted rows. Press/dips with pullups. Deadlift/KBSwings with ab work.
  2. 531 = Advanced (5x5x75%; 5x3x85%; 5x1x95%).
  3. Warmup = ropeskipping, stretching.
  4. Conditioning is various tabatas.

I used the basic BBB template for over a year, but recently switched it up and am doing a 5/3/1 body part split.

Day 1: OHP 5/3/1
OHP 5x10
Side lat raises 5x10
Rear delt flies 5x10

Day 2: Deadlift 5/3/1
Pendlay Rows 5x10
Pull Ups 5x10
T-Bar Rows 5x10
Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown Machine 5x10
Biceps

Day 3: Bench 5/3/1
DB Bench 5x10
Incline Bench 5x10
Machine Flies 5x10
Triceps

Day 4: Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10
Leg Curls 5x10
Calf Raises 5x10
Abs

Was nervous at first to see how the increased volume would affect my main lifts, but each of my past three cycles have been successively better than the previous, so I’m going to stick with this until I start stalling again.

I’m trying out 5/3/1 again.

Numbers in brackets represent the total reps done for that movement.

Day One
Squat 5/3/1 and BBB
Leg press (100)
Toe Push (150)
Seated Calf Raise (150)

Day Two
Bench 5/3/1 and BBB
DB Bench (30)
Rope Curl (150)
Hammer Curl (100)

Day Three
DL 5/3/1 and BBB
Leg Curl (100)
Lat Pulldown (30)
Shrugs (75)

Day Four
Press 5/3/1 and BBB
DB Press (30)
Rope Pushdown (100)
Cable Crunch (150)

I just started a new cycle and used a bunch of ideas from the forum and Beyond 5/3/1. Basically using the 6 week cycle with BBB 5x10 @ 65%, 5x8 @ 70%, 5x5 @ 75% for the upper body lifts and 5x5@75%, 5x3@80%, 5x1@90% for the lower body lifts. I stick with each percentage for the full cycle and then change it for the second 6 week cycle. I go to school on Wednesday nights after work so that is basically my day off. Here’s how I set it up. Also, before every workout I start with broomstick shoulder dislocates, rollovers into v sits, fire hydrant circles, and mt. climbers. Yoke is my main goal as of now hence the reason for all the neck and upper back work. After I go through the 3 cycles, I’ll probably do a cycle with bodyweight assistance and then get back into it again.

Monday:
A1) Rear Delt Flies- 4x15-20
A2) Bench Warmup
B1) Bench 5/3/1
B2) Pullups: 2x10, 1xAMRAP w/ weight
C1) Fat Grip Press: BBB
C2) DB Rows: 5x15-20
D1) Neck: PC’s 350 Method
D2) BB Curls: PC’s 350

Tuesday:
A1) Box Jumps-4-5x5
A2) Squat Warmup
B1) Squat: 5/3/1
B2) Back Raises: 2x10, 1xAMRAP w/ weight
C1) Deadlift: BBB
C2) Ab Wheel: 5x10-20
D) T-Bar Rows: 350

Friday:
A1) Face Pulls- 4x15-20
A2) Press Warmup
B1) Press 5/3/1
B2) DB Rows: 2x10, 1xAMRAP
C1) Fat Grip Bench: BBB
C2) Pullups: 5x10-20
D1) Neck: PC’s 350 Method
D2) Dips: PC’s 350

Saturday:
A1) Box Jumps-4-5x5
A2) Deadlift Warmup
B1) Deadlift: 5/3/1
B2) Decline Situps: 2x10, 1xAMRAP w/ weight
C1) Squat: BBB
C2) Back Raises: 5x10-20
D) Kirk Shrugs/Rows: 350

Thursday, Saturday after deadlifts, and Sundays are 44 lb, 2 mile weight vest walk days.

Session usually takes me about an hour maybe hour 15.

Longtime lurker.

Beyond 5/3/1

Monday: Bench + joker sets & FSL
Overhead BB carries 3 x 1 min

Tuesday: Deadlift + joker sets & FSL
Sandbag shoulders - 5 mins - try to beat rep record

Thursday: Military press + joker sets + push press to push a bit more weight + FSL
Weighted chins - Reverse pyramid 5,6,8
Incline DB bench for 3 sets aiming for 50 reps total

Friday: Sandbag front squat + joker sets + FSL
Sandbag carries 3 x 1 min

I also do some submax chins/dips/neck work between accessory work or on conditioning days.

I hit a wall for a long time, and this program, mainly just focusing on getting strong on the big four, has seen me make consistent progress for months now. I was in pretty good shape before hand, but a lack of ‘bodybuilding’ work hasn’t hurt aesthetically at all, which has been a nice surprise.