What's Your 5/3/1 Template Look Like?

Wrote a longish response but it’s been lost in cyberspace.

I’ve got experience of BBB. I started light, and ended up using around 70% T-max and never experienced big fatigue. From there I just kept adding more volume to later exercises because I found that I could handle it in terms of not feeling mentally or physically drained/sore. Upgraded from garage gym to uni gym and was reunited with cables and leg presses, and voila - stupid volume made easy.
Bottom line is, I like the volume and the pump, but it clearly isn’t helping my strength, so a return to basics sounds like a smart plan.

Conditioning - cycling every day gave me tendinitis, so I stopped doing that 2 months ago and rehabbed. Still wary of cycling and running, but have been considering adding rowing. With less fluff in my workouts, that should be easier now.

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:
Wrote a longish response but it’s been lost in cyberspace.

I’ve got experience of BBB. I started light, and ended up using around 70% T-max and never experienced big fatigue. From there I just kept adding more volume to later exercises because I found that I could handle it in terms of not feeling mentally or physically drained/sore. Upgraded from garage gym to uni gym and was reunited with cables and leg presses, and voila - stupid volume made easy.
Bottom line is, I like the volume and the pump, but it clearly isn’t helping my strength, so a return to basics sounds like a smart plan.

Conditioning - cycling every day gave me tendinitis, so I stopped doing that 2 months ago and rehabbed. Still wary of cycling and running, but have been considering adding rowing. With less fluff in my workouts, that should be easier now.[/quote]

Have you tried Joker Sets with 5/3/1? Pushing reps on your last 5/3/1 set and then doing a Joker set(s) and then doing BBB is challenging. Or perhaps you’re just in seriously better shape than me. LOL

Session 1

Snatch Grip deadlift 5/3/1
Back off sets
Dead lift 5/3/1+
Back off sets

Session 2
Kolkov press 5/3/1+
Back off sets
Jerk 5/3/1
Back off set

Session 3
Clean 5/3/1
Pulls 5/3/1

Session 4
Incline 5/3/1+
Bench 5/3/1+
Back off sets

Session 5
Front squat 5/3/1
Back squat 5/3/1+
Back off sets

This is the most success and fun I’ve had with any of my training. Though it’s not true to the programmes suggested by Wendler per se, the principles are 5/3/1: programme low, progress slow, simple but with purpose, no excess. 9 cycles in, still moving forward.

[quote]KvonBabbage wrote:
Session 1

Snatch Grip deadlift 5/3/1
Back off sets
Dead lift 5/3/1+
Back off sets

Session 2
Kolkov press 5/3/1+
Back off sets
Jerk 5/3/1
Back off set

Session 3
Clean 5/3/1
Pulls 5/3/1

Session 4
Incline 5/3/1+
Bench 5/3/1+
Back off sets

Session 5
Front squat 5/3/1
Back squat 5/3/1+
Back off sets

This is the most success and fun I’ve had with any of my training. Though it’s not true to the programmes suggested by Wendler per se, the principles are 5/3/1: programme low, progress slow, simple but with purpose, no excess. 9 cycles in, still moving forward.[/quote]

Do you do all five sessions each week?

Currently I’m using the following. I usually go between BBB or triumvirate.

Day 1:
Press - 5/3/1
Press - BBB @ 50%
Lat Pulldowns - 5x10
Barbell Curls - 5/3/1 w/first set last

Day 2:
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Deadlift - BBB @ 50%
Weighted Plank - 3 sets

Day 3:
Bench - 5/3/1
Bench -BBB @ 50%
Kroc Row - 2x10, 1x20+
Pushdowns - 3x20

Day 4:
Squat - 5/3/1
Squat -BBB @ 50%
GHR - 5 sets

Light conditioning all days (doesn’t feel that light lol), usually just some rowing on the erg.

1 Like

5/3/1 for Barbell Curls? Cant wait for Jim to see that!

I currently do a full body routine that is working quite well. Good recovery and my gains are consistent.

Day 1:
Squat - 5/3/1
Bench press - BBB 5x5@80%
Rack pulls - 4x6-8
Pendlay rows - 4x6

Day 2:
Press - 5/3/1
Dumbbell rows - 5x10
Chins - 4x6
Dips

Day 3:
Squat - BBB 5x5@80%
Bench press - 5/3/1
Deadlift - 5/3/1

Jokers when I feel good, first set last and some abwork in between.

[quote]baugust wrote:

Do you do all five sessions each week?[/quote]

More often then not 5 days a week, sometimes it’s 7 or 3. I try not to worry. The total volume is so low I haven’t had an problems (yet). Every now and then I get in, do the 5/3/1 for required reps and get out again. I can see the flaws. Again, I’m not too worried. Everything is moving forward, what was difficult is now easy, and even on my worst days everything is ‘doable’. I feel the most important part for me is not living and dying by my 1rm. If I can get in, do the snatch grip with a down set and still hit my deadlift sets I’m doing good.

Though I’d like to hear any in put youself or anyone has got. I don’t do much in the way of assistance and wonder if that’ll eventually turn around to bite me. It’s also why I’ve got a tiny chest and bi’s I guess.

[quote]EyeHateGod wrote:
5/3/1 for Barbell Curls? Cant wait for Jim to see that! [/quote]

In the ‘reloaded’ article he talks about having tried 5/3/1 for curls and rows. Modification 6. I don’t think it’s that odd.

Been doing 531 now for about a year and a half. Put together some exercises which I think complement each other (I have too little body knowledge to target weak points, so I take a deviation of the main exercise so I use the movement twice instead of once a week with a different emphasis), and some power exercises. All exercises are done according to the 531 template.

Training A

Squat
Pendlay Row
Push Press

Training B

Bench Press
Front Squat
Goodmorning

Training C

Deadlift
Incline Bench Press

Training D

Millitary Press
Power Clean
Close Grip Bench Press

Besides the above I do first set last if I feel like it, or some complexes, though lately I have been focusing on conditioning. I think it’s a healthy mix of the main compound movements with some added power exercises. Would love some critique as how to improve my template.

5/3/1 for BB curls… I have heard it all now

Mon, MP 531pyramid,
Fat bar floor press 5x8
Rolling Thunder (grip)
Face pull

Tue, f Squat linear progression (rehab, will eventually be DL531+ FSL)
BB row 5x5
Low pulley row 5x8
Abs (ab wheel + banded crunch)

Wed off

Thur Bench 531, Jokers, paused BP (will eventually alternate paused with paused+ chain / paused +band / board press maybe)
Pinch grip
Face pull

Fri SSB Squat 531 + singles
BB Row 5x8
Low pulley row
45degree back raise
Abs (ab wheel + banded crunch)

1 Like

Shit…didn’t see that one coming! What you curling? …never thought I would ask that question. Lol

Monday:
5/3/1deads
90 percent of top set for 3x3 from 4" deficit
Barbell shrugs

Wednesday:
Bench 5/3/1
90 percent of top set for 3x3 full pause reps
Barbell rows
Weighted situps

Friday:
Squat 5/3/1
90 percent of top set for 3x3 paused reps
Incline bench 5/3/1
90 percent of top set for 3x3 paused reps
Chinups

1. Rows weighted situps chins are all increased each week by more sets reps or weight until a deload.
  2. This is my 3x3 paused assistance. I rotate every couple cycles w. My other template.
    A. 3x3 paused-shown above.
    B. 1.Deads - stiff legged deads.
    2. Bench- closegrip 2 sets @80 percent tol set amrap.
    3. Squats- 3x5 back off sets @80 perxent top set
    4. Switch from yates rows to pendlay rows
    5. Swap chins for pullups.

I run 2 cycles then swap back.

My version of Advanced 5/3/1 from Beyond 5/3/1.
Read the book!

A

1. Squat
  2. Deadlift
    3a. Farmers Walk
    3b. GHR

B
1a. Bench
1b. Row
2a. OHP
2b. Pullup
3a. Curl
3b. Tri ext
3c. Face pull

C

1. Deadlift
  2. Squat
    3a. Farmers walk
    3b. GHR

D
1a. OHP
1b. Pullup
2a. Bench
2b. Row
3a. Curl
3b. Tri ext
3c. Face pull

I lift 3 days a week = M, W, F and rotate A, B, C, D.
Prowler and sled work T, TH, SA.
Prowler pushes & pulls & stretch the day after A & C.
Upper body sled work & stretch the day after B & D.
Foam roll twice a day everyday.

Would appreciate feedback/opinions/recommendations.

Simplest Strength Template (4 Week Version)

Illustration of 5/3/1 Pyramid AMRAP… Squat/Week 1: 305x5, 345x5, 385x5 or more, 345x5 or more, 305x5 or more

Mon:
Big Lifts:
-Squat 5/3/1 Pyramid/AMRAP
-Straight Leg DL (Simplest Strength Format)
Assistance:
-Single Leg Press: 3x10-20 (each leg)
-Leg Curls: 3x10-20
-A1: Weighted DB Side Bend: 3x10-20
-A2: Hanging leg Raise: 3 x10-20
*A1/A2 = Superset

Tuesday:
Big Lifts:
-Bench 5/3/1 Pyramid/AMRAP
-Incline Press (Simplest Strength Format)
Assistance:
-DB Rows: 5x10-20 (all out last set)
-B1: Face Pulls: 3x10-20
-B2: Dips get 50 reps (~3 sets)
-Optional: Bicep 3 x10-20 (Anything)
-Optional: Core: 3 x10-20 (Anything)
*Chins b/w all sets of Bench/Incline Bench
**B1/B2 = Superset

Thursday:
Big Lifts:
-DL 5/3/1 Pyramid/AMRAP
-Front Squat (Simplest Strength Format)
Assistance:

• Glute Ham Raise: 3x10-20
    -Leg Curls: 3x10-20
    -A1: Weighted DB Side Bend: 3x10-20
    -A2: Hanging leg Raise: 3 x10-20
    *A1/A2 = Superset

Friday:
Big Lifts:
-Press 5/3/1 Pyramid/AMRAP
-Close Grip Bench (Simplest Strength Format)
Assistance:
-DB Rows: 5x10-20 (all out last set)
-B1: Face Pulls: 3x10-20
-B2: Dips get 50 reps (~3 sets)
-Optional: Bicep 3 x10-20 (Anything)
-Optional: Core: 3 x10-20 (Anything)
*Chins b/w all sets of Bench/Incline Bench
**B1/B2 = Superset

I run my 531 closer to my real max then most people, but I only ever hit the required reps, then I pyramid down to my BBB sets, and get work that way. I judge when I should add weight to my next cycle by how much of a grind, or how fast my reps are on the top set. As far as assitance I superset it in, two exercises. The first exercise is one that won’t effect my strength on main lift, and then I switch half way through to a move that works a weak area. So for Bench, week one will look somthing like this

Bench-----facepulls
135x10----100x20
225x5------100x20
250x5------100x20
275x3------100x20
315x5------100x20 top set is done, now I pyramid down, and add in second superset exercise
Bench AMRP-----DB side latterals
275x8------25x20
250x12----25x20
225x10----25x20 These are the BBB sets
225x10----25x20
225x10----25x20
225x10----25x20
225x10----25x20

After this I go home and eat, I train one day on, one day off. With military I use pullups first half, and a tri’s, or latteral for the second half. With squats, and deads I superset a curl movement for first half, and a hamstring or ab movement for second half. The point of the second movement is to work a weak area. For me in the upper body it’s shoulders, but I’ve used this with guys that had weak tri’s or chest. I have had good luck with this style of 531 I’m in and out quick, and I’m getting stronger and bigger, Nuff said !

1 Like

I just wanted to add that I think alot of people do to much. A long time ago I set a 4 exercise a workout limit, I won’t do more than 4 exercises a workout no matter what. This means that if a new exercise catches my eye it has to be good enough to knock one of the exercises I’m doing out of the rotation. I’m not saying 4 is the right number for everyone, but I think having a limit in place is a good idea for everyone, especialy young lifters, or else you look one day and realize your doing 16 exercises in a workout. Focus on what matter’s. 2 cents

3 Likes

Your fucking right there man. Main lift. 2-3 assistance. Conditioning. Done. NOV :wink:

2 Likes

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I just wanted to add that I think alot of people do to much. A long time ago I set a 4 exercise a workout limit, I won’t do more than 4 exercises a workout no matter what. This means that if a new exercise catches my eye it has to be good enough to knock one of the exercises I’m doing out of the rotation. I’m not saying 4 is the right number for everyone, but I think having a limit in place is a good idea for everyone, especialy young lifters, or else you look one day and realize your doing 16 exercises in a workout. Focus on what matter’s. 2 cents[/quote]

This has been a big realization for me. I love doing every exercise I can imagine to hit a certain movement or muscle… but it just doesn’t work (at least drug free?).

I’ve played around with a bunch of different templates, from BBB to SST. Today I began the Strength Challenge outlined in the Beyond 5/3/1 book.

Saturday
5/3/1 Bench + BW chins
3-5x5-8 Military Press (First Set Last) + Weighted chins
3x20 Face Pulls + 3x15 Lateral Raises

Sunday
5/3/1 Deadlift
3-5x3-5 Front Squat (FSL; paused) + Hanging Leg Raises
3x20 Pull Throughs + 3x20 DB side bends
3x30 sec Front Squat Iso-Holds
calves

Tuesday
5/3/1 Overhead Press