What's Wrong with White Potatoes?

My breakfast currently consists of 4 whole eggs and about 300g cooked white potatoes.

I would like to know why white potatoes have got such a bad rep. For example, Dr. Johnny Bowden refers to them as “crapola” and seems to prefer sweet potatoes because they “at least have nutrients”. However, as for nutrients I only see that sweet potatoes contain more vitamin A and C. I am not concerned about a deficiency in either of these.

Also together with the eggs I do not think my breakfast has a high GI value.

The 60 grams of carbs won’t do any harm either, I guess.

Because they are hight GI, nutritionally-void, empty calories, with lots of anti-nutrients (most of them get cooked off… you hope).

You could eat pop-corn or white bread with your eggs as well… about the same.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Because they are hight GI, nutritionally-void, empty calories, with lots of anti-nutrients (most of them get cooked off… you hope).

You could eat pop-corn or white bread with your eggs as well… about the same.[/quote]

As I said, I think high GI would only be a concern when you eat potatoes without proteins or fats (which you will usually not do).

I would say they are less nutritionally-void/empty calories than oats and nobody seems to slam oats around here.

Is there anything to indicate cooked potatoes still contain anti-nutrients harmful to your health?

As for pop corn or white bread:
300g of pop corn or white bread would contain a lot more calories and carbs than 300g of potatoes (maybe appropriate for a bulking phase). Also, as far as nutrients go white potatoes would easily win.

Switching to steel cut oats or sweet potatoes would be a much better choice. Fruit would be the best option.

x2 for the oatmeal. keep the high GI carbs for post workout

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Switching to steel cut oats or sweet potatoes would be a much better choice. Fruit would be the best option.[/quote]

I do not tolerate oats very well (IBS like symptoms). Apart from that, why would oats or sweet potatoes be a much better choice? By the way, I have nothing against sweet potatoes. So, if someone can make it clearer to me, why they are so much better than white potatoes, I will switch to sweet potatoes.

I can also see that, if you are on a very low calorie diet, it makes sense to cut out all calories that do not provide you with a maximum of nutrients. But if you are not dieting and your diet is not complete shit, I do not see nutrient deficiencies being an issue.

I’ve found that I do better without oatmeal as well, so I don’t sweat eating potatoes now and then.

Sweet potatoes might be better, but I prefer regular, white potatoes.

As long as you’re not carb sensitive, I don’t see a problem.

I eat both sweet potatoes and white potatoes. As long as you’re getting in solid protein sources, and healthy fats, these shouldn’t pose any problems IMO.

Theyre racist !!!

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Theyre racist !!! [/quote]

Lol your post are cracking me up lately

[quote]chris666 wrote:
My breakfast currently consists of 4 whole eggs and about 300g cooked white potatoes.

I would like to know why white potatoes have got such a bad rep.[/quote]

[Bricknyce impression] OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!! Let’s take another SIMPLE thing and overanalyze it to fuckin’ death. Guy, bodybuilders have been eating WHITE potatoes for DECADES and they’re still getting jacked as a shithouse!

A side of WHITE POTATOES aren’t going to fuckin’ make or fuckin’ break your progress. Jesus!!! [/Bricknyce impression]
(Just kiddin’ Brickster, mostly.)

But, um, yeah sweet potatoes are generally preferred because of a slightly higher fiber content. The GI issue is a pretty hot topic, but even in a meal with protein and fats, if fat loss is your goal, it would be best to minimize the high GI foods in that meal.

But if you’re after mass, a ginormous baked potato with tuna, salsa, and sour cream is good stuff. Nothing wrong with homemade hash browns diced peppers and onions served under a few sunnyside eggs. Dangit, I’m hungry now.