What's Wrong with Us?

Everything I have ever done that was worthwhile required a lot of hardwork. This is another one of those things.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sidewalkdances wrote:
One of my sisters mates (Shes a psychology undergrad) reckons that FFB’s (she knew me at 336lbs and now at 203) use obsessive exercise and diet to replace a previous food addiction. This way they can carry on the addiction in a more healthy way, according to her anyway. It makes some sort of sense I guess.

Note she doesnt say its a bad thing, but did compare my eating to “A smack head switching to methodone”.

The dumbest women I have ever met in my life have been undergrad psych majors.[/quote]

X2

JCUNN wrote:
Are you saying that “bigorexic” is not a disorder?

When people like you respond, do you even realize you immediately show your lack of reading comprehension? I mean, it isn’t like its invisible to us.[/quote]

I don;t mean to hijack the thread but the Prof always comes off as condescending and short on patience. I know you are a highly educated man, therefore it would behoove you to have a little patience with other folks. So you are educated but you are not wise.

One thing in the Medical Industry is the staggering amount of arrogance toward regular people.
I don’t get it. We have Doctors in the family. A general Practitioner and a Neural Surgeon.

All very nice personable people with no thinly veiled superiority complex.

I don’t know why people get their panties in a wad when someone suggests people who seek extremes as defined by society do it with different motivations. It doesn’t matter that the end result is a healthier body.

I lift to excel at my sport. I don’t do it to be ‘healthier’. However, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I find the pain and discomfort associated with pushing myself somehow compelling. We compare bruises from knee wraps, bench shirts and squat suits with a laugh. We like when someone blows a blood vessel in their nose pushing out a heavy squat PR. I like it when I have marks on my back from squatting heavy, frequently. Am I attracted to the sport because of this or do I like this because I’m addicted to the sport? Honestly, I don’t give a fuck. I know what drives me and it isn’t what drives other people.

I don’t care what psych majors think. I also don’t give a crap why other power lifters or body builders lift.

I don’t want mediocrity,
I don’t like the idea I was born to be average,
If I was going to grow up to be average kill me now

I do it because I enjoy it.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
I do it because I enjoy it.[/quote]

Yeah, but Joe don’t you also enjoy burning yourself with lit cigarettes? Just saying :slight_smile:

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
And, for the record, there are a lot of fat people in the military.[/quote]

Not in the Marines.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Professor X wrote:
JCUNN wrote:
Are you saying that “bigorexic” is not a disorder?

When people like you respond, do you even realize you immediately show your lack of reading comprehension? I mean, it isn’t like its invisible to us.

I don;t mean to hijack the thread but the Prof always comes off as condescending and short on patience. I know you are a highly educated man, therefore it would behoove you to have a little patience with other folks. So you are educated but you are not wise.

One thing in the Medical Industry is the staggering amount of arrogance toward regular people.
I don’t get it. We have Doctors in the family. A general Practitioner and a Neural Surgeon.

All very nice personable people with no thinly veiled superiority complex.
[/quote]

Dude, this topic is NOT about how correct the use of the label “bigorexic” is in society. That poster’s question was out of left field and you know it. Also, if you think for a second that your “doctor family members” act the exact same way at work as they do in more casual settings in their free time then you don’t know them at all, especially if you have never gotten into an argument with them over a heated topic.

I think some of you forget that some people pay for the advice many are able to get on this site for free by simply knowing who on this board has what credentials. The sad part is, I really don’t think this is understood.

No offense, but your profile states you are in the military. I don’t want to live in the world where our military begin to question their sanity because they enjoy pushing themselves and training regularly. Not only does this not make sense, but anyone claiming this behavior makes you “mentally diseased or abnormal” is who has lost their sanity.[/quote]

I think his initial assessment is incorrect: he is in fact a sadist and not a masochist. How else does one become convinced to travel around the world to kill someone they do not know in the name of “defense”?

It takes a pretty insane person to willingly go along with it. And the fact that he’s questioning his mental well being is the first step to recovery.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
No offense, but your profile states you are in the military. I don’t want to live in the world where our military begin to question their sanity because they enjoy pushing themselves and training regularly. Not only does this not make sense, but anyone claiming this behavior makes you “mentally diseased or abnormal” is who has lost their sanity.

I think his initial assessment is incorrect: he is in fact a sadist and not a masochist. How else does one become convinced to travel around the world to kill someone they do not know in the name of “defense”?

It takes a pretty insane person to willingly go along with it. And the fact that he’s questioning his mental well being is the first step to recovery.

[/quote]

You simply can’t keep it to the PWI forums, can you?

The dumbest women I have ever met in my life have been undergrad psych majors.[/quote]

I have never agreed with you more. I say the same thing to every psych major I meet “Can I have a refill, please?” I came to this realization after a conversion with a woman that had graduated with a psych major a few years before-she was my waitress at Hooters. No offense to people that go on to grad school for psych, but what useful knowledge or skills does an undergrad psych major have?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
No offense, but your profile states you are in the military. I don’t want to live in the world where our military begin to question their sanity because they enjoy pushing themselves and training regularly. Not only does this not make sense, but anyone claiming this behavior makes you “mentally diseased or abnormal” is who has lost their sanity.

You simply can’t keep it to the PWI forums, can you?

[/quote]
This is not politics. This is psychology.

Perfect post.This is our poison of choice.

Whichever group exerts more political and financial clout will dominate the others…since most BBers (post-Arnold) have given up on pursuit of material wealth, power and social status - ain;t no chance of our ‘vice’ becoming popular anytime soon.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Who gives a fuck? People do what they do. Some people tie belts around their necks when they jerk off, some people lift weights. God knows the reasons.[/quote]

put me down for masochistic.

[quote]Cherrymennos wrote:
I think the general public would like us to be “sick”, it would make it easier for them to voice their dislike and disapproval of our intrinsic motivation which they utterly lack. I love this quote, wherever Roual got it:

Roual-
"We like to watch ‘normal’ people like you tell us about how they can’t get in shape. We smile and nod sympathetically like we feel your pain, but actually, we’re thinking that you’re a pathetic piece of shit that needs to grow a spine and join a gym. You smile sheepishly and say that you just can’t stay motivated and just can’t stand that feeling of being sore. (For some reason you think that admitting your weaknesses somehow justifies them.) We listen to you bitch and moan. We watch you look for the easy way out. Because of people like you, Bob, we never miss a workout.

“You ask us for advice about diet and training and usually we politely offer some guidance, but deep inside we know you won’t take our advice. You know that too. We smile and say, ‘Hope that helps. Good luck,’ but actually we’re thinking, ‘Boy, it would suck to be you.’ We know that 99% of people won’t listen to us. Once they hear that it takes hard work, sacrifice and discipline, they stop listening and tune us out.”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told people who ask for help “I can tell you everything you need to know, diet and training. I can tell you how to get your body where you want it to be. You’ll have to change the way you eat, and weight train. It’s a lifestyle change, and it doesn’t happen over night. But you WILL get the results you want” And they say “WOW, really!?! Thanks! That would be great!” And they never bring it up again.[/quote]

That quote is from Shugart’s Merry Christmas, Bob article. It always gives me a shiver down my spine when I read it and makes me want to go hit the weights, no matter how bad I’m feeling.

Although I’m no where near as advanced, as strong or as big as many people on here, I lift because I love the feeling of being strong, and of knowing that very few people I know are mentally tough enough to deny themselves the food they like, stay sober (the majority of the time) while everyone around them is getting drunk and get out of bed at 5am so they can hit the gym before work because that’s the only time available.

I do this because I like being the guy people think of when they need extra muscle. I’ve been asked to carry scantily clad drunken females up to bed when they’ve had a little too much to drink, and it feels good.

Yesterday, at a friends BBQ, one of the guests brought along their 8yr old son. I ended up being a climbing frame for him and having him run around happily for hours on end by pressing him over head one handed.

For me, being strong is about having the ability to help where other people cannot. Well, that and looking good nekkid.

sidewalkdances wrote:
One of my sisters mates (Shes a psychology undergrad) reckons that FFB’s (she knew me at 336lbs and now at 203) use obsessive exercise and diet to replace a previous food addiction. This way they can carry on the addiction in a more healthy way, according to her anyway. It makes some sort of sense I guess.

Note she doesnt say its a bad thing, but did compare my eating to “A smack head switching to methodone”.

Yep.

Goddamn I love the soreness that comes from a dman good workout. And that rush you get when you have completed a heavy set of deads or squats…? I fucking live for it. Nothing can bring me down when I know I’ve pushed myself to my limits to shift more weight.

The movie Bigger. Stronger. Faster by Christoper Bell made me really question why I lift, though. There’s a bit at the end where his mother asks Chris why did her sons never feel like they were good enough and why did they use steroids?
This made me question why I lift in the first place. Why was I so unhappy being a skinny kid(I wasn’t overly skinny either, and I’ll probably fill out a lot over the next few years, with or without weights). Why did I feel uncomfortable around big people…?

I sure don’t know, but as outlined in TC’s recent article ‘The Embarassment of Bodubuilding’ weightlifting lets me feel my own limitations. It makes someone mentally and physically strong. Seeing stretch marks on your skin and having a nice case of DOM’s just makes me feel incredible. And the confidence that comes from all this is nothing to be sneered at.

[quote]DickBag wrote:
why do you feel good after a long hard day of honest work? its natural. accomplishment.

why do you feel god after smashing some exams, and scoring well after a long time of study? because its natural to be proud after working hard.

so why do you feel good after training hard? the same reason as working or studying hard. then you repeat it, because tis the logical thing to do. deveolp, thats what you were created for. you dont just work one hard day in your life.
[/quote]

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
Mad HORSE wrote:
And, for the record, there are a lot of fat people in the military.

Not in the Marines.[/quote]

I’m going to throw the flag right there. I was in Okinawa for four years; there are a lot of fat Marines.